Gibson Brands Forums

HG, Broken Bones, and Guitars.

Murph

God Bless ya buddy.

I broke my left radius about 4 years ago in a fall, and also damaged the left wrist. Got some stainless and some screws installed. But....

I had a drummer that had broke his as a kid and had no supination. He can't hold his hand out to get change at the store, the money will fall out.

I was still in the cast when he was explaining supination because it was one reason he was a drummer and I freaked. Started studying pronation and supination. My rehab theropist was NOT a positive person.

Let me make this very clear.

"GUITAR PLAYERS NEED SUPINATION" ALL THEY CAN GET.

With months of rehab, I got mine back, but be very aware of this. I was in my mid 40's and the full cast locked up my elbow, and it seemed like FOREVER getting strength, calluses, ect. back.

I wish you the very best my friend.

Murph.

I can second that - busted my left arm as a kid (badly and in three places, but UK doctors did a superb job and I had no problems). However - when I smashed it driving over a cliff in the Middle-East, the local Jordanian medics took four attempts before they got it set (their words.....) 'right' - which was really badly out of line.

Unfortunately the combination of amateur medics and previous damage severely restricted what I now know to be 'supination'. I can't tip a peanut into my mouth or take cash in that hand without a load of twisting of shoulder and arm. A-minor down by the nut is a toughy too, where it used to be a breeze. When the cast first came off (I got a mate to saw it off because after six weeks I HAD to play something other than slide guitar) I couldn't finger ANY chords, and it took months of really painful playing to get most of it back.

So, hg - there are loads of us out here feeling for you. Persevere, don't give up - frustration at your own inability will be an enemy, just be patient and keep pushing gently. You'll be right again real soon.

Archived