Gibson Brands Forums

Maui Wowie

jjpish

So I am a little torn and would like some opinions. I saw a Gibson Maui Wowie for sale and it looks very interesting. They only made 40 so my first thought was this could be something cool to get and hold on to for a while. I am also looking at a 1977 Les Paul Custom. I know I would play the LP almost daily but not so sure about the Maui... I have a Martin HD-28 (please don't flame me for that...) and I really appreciate it. I also have a few Fender Strats and always wanted a LP and this 1977 is pretty nice.

In the long run what would be the better investment. It appears the market for an LP is larger and probably always will be. An all KOA acoustic probably a very small group would appreciate this guitar. Not saying I would be selling either but if I am spending the money I would like to have something that will increase in value and be worth something someday for my son to have.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Firstly, welcome to the place.......and no, we won't flame you for owning one of those "other" guitars.

Secondly, unless you are strictly an investor/collector, never buy a guitar for what it might be worth someday. You may well be disappointed.

And lastly, I personally think the J45 is considered one of the "work horse" instruments of acoustic guitars. As such, I don't think limited editions of this model will be held in high esteem over the long haul. Indeed it is a fine looking guitar and may well be a great player, but the 45 is not, in my estimation, one of those guitars that will accrue "collectible" value, even in limited editions like this one. Just my opinion, though........take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the input. I really am leaning towards the LP mostly because I have always wanted one. Luckily I am in the position where I can get another guitar. I have a couple Strats that I love playing but adding an LP to the stable would be nice...

Actually, it was the 60's for a bunch of us old farts. And yes, it was fun, since we managed to survive it.

Lessee....the 70's..... January, 1970 I got shipped off to 'Nam! Came home in December, started college in 1971..... wife left me in 1975, (NEVER marry a 'groupie'), graduated in 1975. Met new wife in 1976, married in 1978, son born in 1979...... not too much "hippy stuff" goin' on in THAT decade!

Getting this thread back on track, I don't know about the Maui Wowie, but I don't really see the value of a '77 Les Paul escalating all that much. This time period is not seen as Gibson's best years. In fact, the Norlin period is seen as the low point for Gibson. That is not to say that some of the guitars that came out of the factory at that time weren't really good guitars, but on the whole the period is not looked upon very favorably.

And, in general, I agree with the post that says that unless you are a serious collector, don't buy guitars looking for their value to appreciate! I say buy whichever one you think you will get the most enjoyment from!

Lessee....the 70's..... January, 1970 I got shipped off to 'Nam! Came home in December, started college in 1971..... wife left me in 1975, (NEVER marry a 'groupie'), graduated in 1975. Met new wife in 1976, married in 1978, son born in 1979...... not too much "hippy stuff" goin' on in THAT decade!

The month before you shipped out to 'Nam, I drew number 314 in the first draft lottery, just a few weeks before finishing college. That high draft number changed my life.

To put that time in perspective, Abbey Road had just been released a couple of months before, and Woodstock was a six-month-old memory.

People who aren't old enough to have been directly affected by the draft and the Vietnam war don't appreciate how torn apart the o****ry was in the late 60's and early 70's. Maybe the best thing that came out of that time was some truly great music that I still listen to.

And, in general, I agree with the post that says that unless you are a serious collector, don't buy guitars looking for their value to appreciate! I say buy whichever one you think you will get the most enjoyment from!

Amen to that. The vintage guitar market is way too fickle to be seen as a rational investment. Buy guitars because you want to play them.

Amen to that. The vintage guitar market is way too fickle to be seen as a rational investment. Buy guitars because you want to play them.

Add me to the chorus on that.... I bought a couple of guitars I plan on passing along to my grandkids...but I'm gonna play them first!

Archived