Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green fans needed

deepblue

The Haynes book has a cool section telling you how to reverse the polarity of your pup magnets ala Peter Green.

Im so curious....I want to hear a Peter Green song where hes using this 59 with the reversed pickups.

I want to know what it sounds like.

Im sure theres some huge PG fans here.

What song/s of his epitomizes that sound?

Do you specifically want PG fans' date=' or would somebody who had played that LP do.....

Id like either or...I just wanted to hear what all the fuss was about. Its personally not a sound id like as my own, but as Peter Green has said "Its not a magic stick".....HE was the talent...not the Les Paul.

Well - I played it a couple of times (I was a friend of GM's drummer Pierce) and it was a gorgeous play too, but the tone was what it was - a tone. Personally I had/have heard LP's who's tone I liked more, but personally is the key word. I heard Gary play it a lot, jammed with him playing it even. Never sounded like PG, always sounded like Gary. Only ever saw PG on stage with it - when it sounded really, really nice, but like Peter.

When I played it - it sounded like me. Crap.

I really hate to say this, but.....

.....because it was just a guitar.

Yes - a very, very fine Les Paul, but really just a guitar. PG played PG on whatever HE played, Gary played Gary on whatever HE played. When I played it - it was a very, very fine Les Paul, and you could make the noises with it, but so you can on a 100 other guitars, a 1,000, maybe more. When I played it, it was just average 'cause it was me playing it. When Gary and Pete played it it was awesome..... but those two sound awesome playing crap ukeleles.

If you really want that sound, follow the instructions to sort out your LP pups, and then learn how to play like Peter or Gary. But before you do - see if there is a sound which is you, rather than them - it might just set you apart from the masses.

deepblue, you can find tons of info on The Les Paul forum about Peter Green's LP. A lot of those guys have ordered PG modded LPs from a guy named Larry Corsa - you can see the guitars here here. Also here's a

of Corsa playing Green's original. It is a very unique tone - quite bright and Telecaster like, but mellower. As for Peter's work on the guitar, there are some You Tube vids, and if your email inbox can handle it, I have a couple albums worth I can send ya.

My feelings exactly. Now if I had about a dozen Les Pauls like.... mmmmm.... let's see..... Tim.....well, then maybe I'd want to mod one for the Peter Green tone just for variety.

Its funny you should say that. In the Haynes manual they actually mod a Lester to be like PG's

They guys himself said something was missing...

My bet is Peter Green.

Archived