Gibson Brands Forums

David Gilmore on a Gibson

Homz

I just purchased a DVD, David Gilmore Live at the Royal Albert Hall. I didn't expect it but there he was on a swing rythem song playing a Gibson LP Gold Top with p90s and a Bigsby Tremlo. Per haps a 56 or there abouts. I now have even more reason to love Gilmore. One of my favorites of all time.

My guitar players wall of fame consist of (in no order) Jimmy Page, David Gilmore, Randy Rhodes, and Jimi Hendrix. Two Brits and two Yanks. Good Combo.

Page, SRV, Hendrix, and Frusciante for me.... Slash gets an honourable mention. that's sweet that Gilmore was playing a goldtop... I didn't know he even played Gibson. (Although I suppose even Hendrix played Flying Vs and SGs, and he was one of the most iconic Strat players of all time.)

I've actually gotten pretty close to the historic David "Gilmour" Strat sound on my AL-230 ES-355 by messing around with the Varitone and the amp settings. For some reason, though, I still find that playing Gilmour's "Pink Floyd" solos are still easier on my Strat than they are on my Gibson. It's hard to imagine a playing style that is suited for a particular axe and vice-versa but who knows that could be the case here.

That said, I have no doubt that since Gilmour could make an autoharp sound amazing, making a wonderful axe like a Les Paul sound amazing would be an easy feat with no shredding or 5 finger trills required. Of course, I'm not a shredder. I'm into those wonderful melodic solos that Gilmour is so famous for.

The solo on Money can't be played on a Strat, not enough frets. Check the

"Live In Pompeii" video. Looks like He's using a Les Paul Special or Similar. He also used his 1956 goldtop for the solo on Another Brick In The Wall & I think also Young Lust. I read this in an interveiw on his recording techniques some years ago. You'll also see him using his goldtop on the new "Live In Gdansk" dvd.

The solo on Money can't be played on a Strat' date=' not enough frets. Check the

"Live In Pompeii" video. Looks like He's using a Les Paul Special or Similar. He also used his 1956 goldtop for the solo on Another Brick In The Wall & I think also Young Lust. I read this in an interveiw on his recording techniques some years ago. You'll also see him using his goldtop on the new "Live In Gdansk" dvd.[/quote']

Too True . . . at least in this particular case. It's a stretch on my 24 fret Carvin but it can be done.

Here's what Gilmour did . . . Looks like a custom Lewis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_(Pink_Floyd_song)

The solo on Money can't be played on a Strat' date=' not enough frets. Check the

"Live In Pompeii" video. Looks like He's using a Les Paul Special or Similar. He also used his 1956 goldtop for the solo on Another Brick In The Wall & I think also Young Lust. I read this in an interveiw on his recording techniques some years ago. You'll also see him using his goldtop on the new "Live In Gdansk" dvd.[/quote']

Where did you get this idea from? Watch the "Pulse Tour" video (and then watch it again closely).....one of the best tours ever from Floyd. Although David Gilmour has owned many guitars, he always played mostly on a Strat. He achieves this by utilizing the extreme string bends he's so well known for. I have an exact replica of the red strat used on the pulse tour and it's more than capable of playing Money, and every other Floyd song.

Where did you get this idea from? Watch the "Pulse Tour" video (and then watch it again closely).....one of the best tours ever from Floyd. Although David Gilmour has owned many guitars' date=' he always played mostly on a Strat. He achieves this by utilizing the extreme string bends he's so well known for. I have an exact replica of the red strat used on the pulse tour and it's more than capable of playing Money, and every other Floyd song.[/quote']

Not worth arguing about but this applies to the "original" Money solo. A 22 fretter won't get there toward the end of the solo. All the live variants I've seen of Gilmour playing that solo on his various Strats don't hit those few high notes that exceed 22 fret capability.

Read the paragraph under "History" . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_(Pink_Floyd_song)

"To produce the distinctive piercing high notes that distinguish the final chorus of his solo, Gilmour played a customized Lewis guitar with a full two-octave range."

Archived