Gibson Brands Forums

Need help finding guitar sheet music

RudyH

I've got the lead sheets w/chords out of a couple of jazz "Fake Books". How would you like me to get them to you, e-mail, snail mail? I better not post them here, there might be some copyright infringement issues.

Here's a pretty good sight for downloading (and paying for) sheet music and lead sheets:

http://www.musicnotes.com/

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.

L5 Larry:

I have never used a fake book, and don't know anything about them. I looked them up on Amazon.com to see the excerpts and it looks like what I need. I will buy one. Can you recommend a good one for guitar?

How do you use them? Some are described as being for "C" instruments. Does that mean pay them in the key of C? Can you tell me a little about what a fake book is and how it is different from other guitar music notation?

Thank you for the offer of the music, and I would take you up on it. But I think I really want one of these books for myself.

One thing that struck me about the ones I saw excerpts from is that the music is written simply, which is good because then I can use that as the basis for adding my own color.

I have never used a fake book' date=' and don't know anything about them. Some are described as being for "C" instruments. Can you tell me a little about what a fake book is and how it is different from other guitar music notation? [/quote']

The "fake book" was invented for improvisational music, such as jazz. It gives you treble clef notation of the melody line, with guitar chords or chord blocks over the staff. Some have lyrics, some don't, depends on the song and the book. Their intended use, as in jazz, is to give you a general "feel" for the song and melody, and allow you to improvise over this, as opposed to piano sheet music, or a "real book", that tells you every little note to play and when.

You will want the "C" version, as this is the key which all standard music notation and music theory is based. As stated above, certain brass and woodwind instruments are "voiced" to other keys, generally for harmony purposes, but stringed instruments such as piano and guitar tuned "natural" or to "concert pitch" are all based around middle C.

The fake book is more associated to piano type sheet music than to guitar music notation. This is not TAB, it is staff. If you have had no formal music training it will take some time and effort to learn to read, but once you get the hang of it, your on your way.

Archived