Gibson Brands Forums

VOX AC30 Headphone Amp

jeff_farkas

Anyway, today in the mail came my VOX Headphone AC30 amp. So far I've only really tried it out on my LP but it sounds great. Nice clean and just what I would hope for from a very small amp. I was a bit worried that it would just sound like a tinny little piece of junk but it's sure a surprise. A lot more punch than you would expect and for the price it's really hard to beat, 39.99. I'm using a set of Sennheiser Headphones and it's just about a perfect combination. Bellow are the links to each products. I am very happy with the amp and would recommend it to anyone who wants a very small and clever little tool.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Amplug-AC30-Headphone-Amp?sku=481676

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD280-Pro-ClosedBack-Headphones?sku=242411

Jeff

[-X

Congratulations man!

So how does it react to volume-tone changes? I've been wanting one of those ever since they came out, and GAS for them increased after I got my AC30... I just want something that emulates that sound for headphones! The problem is no one sells them here... the VOX distributor wont order them as he says there's no way this people will buy those things (he'll have to order at least 50 of them).

Despite the constant and frequent rants against VOX on the net, I think they have done a good job of putting out really nice amps and stuff in general (those new guitars are awesome). Tone and build quality is very good, I havent had any trouble with either my AC30 or my two pathfinders (10 and 15r), and a friend that bought both a valvetronix 100W combo and an AC15 is very happy with them, I am willing to buy a valvetronix blindly out of the input I've been given by people I trust.

I have to note that I play mostly metal, and the AC30 scares some people... they think (and say) "you are saying you play metal through that thing?" ... well it's not what it was made for, but if you put the right pedal in front, things can get really ugly really fast (i.e. the vox bulldog or the visual sound jekyl and hyde)... and after being a full stack lover for a long time, I just love the look of the AC30 combo.

Congrats again and hope you enjoy it very much!

well Jeff' date=' you've definitely got some U2 vibes going with the combination of LP and Vox.... all you need now is a couple strats and an explorer. Also, you look uncannily like The Edge in your avatar pick.... perhaps it's the toque.[/quote']

LOL.. Not my just the real Edge... not I'm Peter Buck...

Jeff O:)

My son and I used one of those on a road trip last summer and we were very pleased with it. I was surprised by the quality and usefulness of it. One important aspect I believe is worth noting: The reputation of the AC30 and consequently this headphone amp is that it is best for clean sounds. This is true, but it is capable of good rocking distorted sounds too by simply adjusting the gain.

My only reservation about this type of amp is that loud music through earbuds is bad for hearing. I got a set of relatively inexpensive headphones, which are a better choice for the ears. Whenever possible I play without headphones on a conventional amp, but it is great to have these headphone amps as an option.

Archived