Gibson Brands Forums

Quantity of sales of Gibson guitars

Petro Tryasylo

• 1 month later...

I can't see how or why this info would be available in any type of specific, public format. I suppose the "fact" of which guitar is most popular could come up in some kind of marketing or advertising literature, but as far as detailed and specific numbers, I can't imagine they're available. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd be curious to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

It maybe helpful in preventing sales of chinese fakes and the likes if Gibson did offer some idea (to within perhaps nearest thousand) as to the amount of Custom Shop guitars built in a year. With the 8 digit serial numbers on non CS Gibsons its easy to spot a fake serial number as whoever makes them clearly doesn't understand how that system works; with fakes illustrating serial numbers linked to the 515th day of the year or worse the 885th. Custom Shops are different as the serialisation only links the year of manufacture to the guitar's number in the production sequence. So in some ways it presents a more difficult instrument to authenticate because the fakers know that whatever numbers they put on the headstocks are difficult to verify without directly involving Gibson. Add that to the extra price premiums that Custom guitars command and these guys are laughing all the way to the bank. On the other hand if it was an openly accessible fact that the Custom Shop's capacity was between; say for example 7000 and 8000 standard CS production units a year; then headstocks indicating numbers 8000 plus or 9000 plus would obviously be fakes. Lets start making life difficult for thes guys.

Archived