Gibson Guitar Board: How Do I Remove Volume & Tone Knobs??? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Remove Volume & Tone Knobs???

#1 User is offline   Chas63 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

I recently got a new Epi Wilshire Pro guitar with the coil tapping feature where I can use each of the two pickups as either single coil or humbucker by pulling up or pushing down on the volume knob for that pickup.

I'd like to replace the volume knobs with new knobs that have numbers on them. My question is how do I remove the present knobs? I've tried pulling up rather firmly on them, but that didn't work. I also tried twisting them firmly counterclockwise, but that didn't work either. I don't want to break anything by pulling or twisting too hard. So, how do I remove the existing knobs?

Also, can you recommend a good place to get the replacement knobs?

Thanks for any assistance.

Chas

#2 User is offline   Pete B 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Use an old towel [thumbup]

#3 User is offline   RaSTuS 

• Occasional Head Banger !!!
  • LocationMackay, Australia.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

LOL, just beat me to it Pete.
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
PEDALS: ............
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
AMPS & CABS: .
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   LSAR 

• Permanent Noob
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

The knobs on mine were also difficult to pull off...
They came off eventually though, they just require a bunch more force than others...
'10 Epi Les Paul Junior Special Limited Edition (Cherry) Made in Indonesia (Mods: Grover Tuners, EMG 81-X,)
'07 Epi EM-1 R.I.P

Amps:
Vox VT30
Marshall MS-4 Micro Stack (Cab out mod)

____

#5 User is offline   Chas63 

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

Pete B, on 23 December 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

Use an old towel [thumbup]

Thanks! [thumbup] The video was great! [thumbup]

Any suggestions on where I might find new knobs (with numbers)?

#6 User is offline   RaSTuS 

• Occasional Head Banger !!!
  • LocationMackay, Australia.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

I always get knobs etc from eBay, just be mindful of needing metric size (6mm shaft), places like GFS carry them at a reasonable price too.
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
PEDALS: ............
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
AMPS & CABS: .
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

Chas63, on 23 December 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Thanks! [thumbup] The video was great! [thumbup]

Any suggestions on where I might find new knobs (with numbers)?

Remember, try different variations on the towel technique....ie, with old t-shirts......It also may take time.....I had the same thread a while back.....

It finally worked for me......( God bless the collective smarts here !!!!!!!! )......As per knobs, as RaSTuS says, GFS ( and e-bay)....Also try

"Amplified Parts"......Knobs can be found through many web sites.....Keep in mind that knob 'holes' come in a variety of sizes.........

Do your research...........I now have many knobs that don't fit what I want them to..........[crying] :unsure: [scared] [cursing] :rolleyes: [blush] :blink: .................
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic