Gibson Brands Forums

Ties

SRV-Zeppelin

Well guys, we've all been there before. I'm sure most of us don't wear ties on a regular basis, but there's the odd time when it's socially required- your cousin's wedding, your great aunt's funeral, your nephew's girlfriend's cousin's bar mitzvah.... you get the point. So when it's required, do you actually take the time to fit a real tie, or do you "cheat" and use a clip-on? (Because let's face it guys, we're pretty much inept at putting on ties without help- at least those of us who don't wear them regularly.) Myself? I use clip-ons. they're cheaper, less hassle, and most people can't tell the difference.

Take that, you fancy corporate executive snobs!!! eusa_clap.gif

Clip-ons are crap, unless you work in the prison or criminal justice system in which case they can save your life! Seriously, it's not hard to learn to tie a decent knot. I learned when I was 15 (because bag boys had to wear them then). And trust me the ladies can tell the difference.... They appreciate a man who can tie a solid knot!

What a great question - personally I wear a tie about 75% of the time, I wear a tie every day other than the middle of summer when Polo's become the norm in the desert. I Haven't worn a clip-on since i left law enforcement and I was worried about someone strangling me with it (before that it was 4th grade in catholic school for clip on's). I do cheat sometimes with ties with the integrated zippers that truly look perfect and the knot is always straight and no wrinkles but that's even rare. I even tie Bow Ties when I wear a tux. Wearing real ties and shaving were always kind of the transition into manhood for my generation at least.

I saw a similar queation on a different forum recently about how men wore dress shirts/ties without a undershirt beneath it? I was truly amazed but the end result was about 50% again personally can't imagine doing that either. For me in the office its a long sleeve shirt over a white undershirt with a tie.

After work it's old ratty levi's or levi shorts and black rock and roll t-shirts with Doc Martens but that's a different question I guess

whenever I have to wear one i wear the real thing. Still dont know how to tie it though O:)

That's what dad's are for! Seriously I wonder if the "I know how to tie a tie" rate among young men today is related to the divorce rate? I doubt my mom could've taught me how. Every year when we have a dress up thing at school, I have to tie a bunch of ties for kids who cannot. Just a thought....

I wear them daily... (imaginie that!) and I learned to use them propperly when I was 9 years old, fitting them takes me less than a minute, but for as long as I can remember, all my friends have always asked me to fit theirs, as they cant do it... just weird... specially in a guitar forum man!

I wear them daily... (imaginie that!) and I learned to use them propperly when I was 9 years old' date=' fitting them takes me less than a minute, but for as long as I can remember, all my friends have always asked me to fit theirs, as they cant do it... just weird... specially in a guitar forum man![/quote']

wow... I would have never imagined you as a tie guy, Thunder.

That's what dad's are for! Seriously I wonder if the "I know how to tie a tie" rate among young men today is related to the divorce rate? I doubt my mom could've taught me how. Every year when we have a dress up thing at school' date=' I have to tie a bunch of ties for kids who cannot. Just a thought....[/quote']

Yeah my dad usually does it for me. Just wondering, what grades do you teach?

When I was eight' date=' I had to learn to tie my own tie to earn my Wolf badge. Fuel for life!

[/quote']

My Dad taught me to tie both a single and double Winsor when I was little... I typically use the single these days, but used the double back then. I got to pass that along when I was a scout leader; I brought an arm load of ties to one meeting and taught all my boys to tie single Winsor knots. Go Scouting!!

Archived