Gibson Brands Forums

Early Gibson Value?

sharpeners

My friend has a Gibson Model SG JR that his father bought for him when he was 12. He thinks it's a 1961 version. Serial #135437. He wants to insure it and needs to know the approximate value of it. He claims it is in mint condition but doesn't everybody! Just helping him out.

Thanks,

Richard

post-38297-066319800 1324920441_thumb.jpg

post-38297-044970500 1324920454_thumb.jpg

Those 60's serial numbers are a nightmare of inconsistencies and doubles. It might be a 1963. The pot codes might help with the year.

From 1961 though late 1963 the headstock had the "Les Paul" script on it. A 1963 is shown below. If a "Les Paul" '63, it could be worth a good amount.

1963-gibson-sg-les-paul-junior-l.jpg

My friend has a Gibson Model SG JR that his father bought for him when he was 12. He thinks it's a 1961 version. Serial #135437. He wants to insure it and needs to know the approximate value of it. He claims it is in mint condition but doesn't everybody! Just helping him out.

Thanks,

Richard

The serial number does indeed correspond to 1963. I have a '61. That is a 5 digit number. This can be nailed down more precisely using pot date codes, but most people date a guitar by its serial number. It is more valuable with the Les Paul silk screen. I can't tell from the posted pic if it has one.

Here is a link to prices being asked by many dealers:

http://www.gbase.com...yword=sg+junior

Of course you can buy them for less than this and these are only asking prices, but it is something concrete for an insurance company.

By the way, small guard juniors are nasty guitars. They are featherweights with an attitude problem.:angry:

The serial number does indeed correspond to 1963. I have a '61. That is a 5 digit number. This can be nailed down more precisely using pot date codes, but most people date a guitar by its serial number. It is more valuable with the Les Paul silk screen. I can't tell from the posted pic if it has one.

Here is a link to prices being asked by many dealers:

http://www.gbase.com...yword=sg+junior

Of course you can buy them for less than this and these are only asking prices, but it is something concrete for an insurance company.

By the way, small guard juniors are nasty guitars. They are featherweights with an attitude problem.:angry:

Thank you so much for your help and everybody else or contacted me.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the "SG" as a separate model wasn't introduced until 1963. 1961-1962 was the years for the SG-shaped LPs, including the LP Jr., which looked like the later SG Jr. My 1963 catalog also shows the SG Jr. with the slanted hard stop tailpiece, not straight across the body (as did the SG-TV and Melody Maker). Does yours have the Les Paul script logo or not?

b2b16d4f3713a2037c7566ab63428fda00862f3c.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the "SG" as a separate model wasn't introduced until 1963. .....

Actually LP script was on them until "late" 1963. In 1963 there's overlap between the SG Les Paul STD and the SG STD - check below and you'll see the overlap. As the story goes, Les Paul was pissed about the SG design and backed out of Gibson in 1961, but Gibson kept using their stock "Les Paul" decals and TRCs on the SG models until later in 1963 when they finally used all that stock. You can confirm this with some poking with Google.

Vintage Price Value as of 2009 :

1961 - 1963 > $19 000 to $25 000 ( SG les paul standard )

1963 - 1965 > $18 000 to $25 000 ( SG Standard )

5680049918_8328a3c8e1_z.jpg

Actually LP script was on them until "late" 1963. In 1963 there's overlap between the SG Les Paul STD and the SG STD - check below and you'll see the overlap. As the story goes, Les Paul was pissed about the SG design and backed out of Gibson in 1961, but Gibson kept using their stock "Les Paul" decals and TRCs on the SG models until later in 1963 when they finally used all that stock. You can confirm this with some poking with Google.

So, there's no such thing as a 1961-1962 SG right? Only the LPs with the SG body. I heard that story about Les Paul and frankly who could blame him. It's amazing to think that the classic LP shape started in the 50s didn't sell all that well, which is why Gibson changed the body shape in 1961. Not to mention that Gibson didn't make the classic LP from 1961 - 1967, before it was re-introduced. McCarty must have been scratching his head.

I had a Les Paul Jr. SG my parents bought for me new in 1963. It had the silkscreened Les Paul Junior on the headstock. Bridge was adjustable and straight across, not slanted. I had to part with it in the late 70s due to rough times and I am still kicking myself for ever parting with it. Seems they are worth about 4K in good shape, from what I have researched. I had the cardboard alligator case. Mine was absolutely mint when I gave it up except for the Gibson tremolo I added. I have recently replaced it with a 50th Anniversary SG 12. I don't feel quite so bad now. I actually like the SG 12 much more. The SG with the big nickel plated sideways tremolo was parked right next to mine when my parents bought it for me. The Jr. sold for $165.00 at the time and the fancier one was $310.00 They are worth about 12K. Funny how you remember those things.

GuitarsAnn

I had a Les Paul Jr. SG my parents bought for me new in 1963. It had the silkscreened Les Paul Junior on the headstock. Bridge was adjustable and straight across, not slanted. I had to part with it in the late 70s due to rough times and I am still kicking myself for ever parting with it. Seems they are worth about 4K in good shape, from what I have researched. I had the cardboard alligator case. Mine was absolutely mint when I gave it up except for the Gibson tremolo I added. I have recently replaced it with a 50th Anniversary SG 12. I don't feel quite so bad now. I actually like the SG 12 much more. The SG with the big nickel plated sideways tremolo was parked right next to mine when my parents bought it for me. The Jr. sold for $165.00 at the time and the fancier one was $310.00 They are worth about 12K. Funny how you remember those things.

GuitarsAnn

We've probably all "been there done that" and are left to kick ourselves for parting with guitars and/or basses we never should have sold. I had a pre-CBS Fender P-Bass that would be worth thousands now. I don't even remember what I sold it for, but it was nothing compared to what it would be worth now.

Yup!!! You have to move on. The guitars I have now give me much more pleasure than the LP Jr. did and I have since thrown away a lot more money on other things. Life is Good!! Maybe that was the catalyst that got me to a better plane of existence.

GuitarsAnn [biggrin]

Archived