Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Modern Classic

Space Pup

PLease note that my review is based on a my 2005 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe that differs cosmetically from the Modern Classic only by having an unbound fretboard and a mini Hummingbird style pickguard.

After years of owning mid to high dollar electrics and only cheap acoustics I figured it was time to make a solid investment in a good acoustic guitar. Once I figured out my what my budget would allow, I started the hunt. I spent my weekends going to every guitar shop I could find and playing everything in my price range. After almost two months I found myself coming back time and time again to the Songwriter Deluxe.

The Songwriter Deluxe has a Rosewood body with a Sitka Spruce top, a Mahogany neck with an Ebony fretboard and a 25.5" scale. This combination provides a rich full tone and the sustain needed to work well with stumming, picking, or finger styles. The Songwriter Deluxe has a deep bass that doesn't get muddy or distort when you strum hard. The midrange has a strong yet not overpowering presence that sings when strummed and highs that are both crisp and clean and don't fall off before the rest of the cohrd. The body is slightly smaller than most dreadnoughts making it easier to hold. Especialy if you are like me and do most of your playing seated and hold the guitar in a classical position. The neck profile is very comfertable and easy to navigate. Although the Abalone rosette and MOP parallelogram inlays are purely cosmetic they do add a classic and more expensive look to the guitar.

The Songwriter Deluxe has an L.R. Baggs transducer that does a very good job of Capturing the tone of the guitar. When recording I plug it straight into my BOSS Micro BR but I would advise getting an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI for the stage so you adjust the tone as may be needed in some venues.

In Conclusion, Gibson classifies the Songwriter Deluxe as a square shoulder small dreadnought, but you'll find it hard to find anything "small" about this guitar. The Songwriter Deluxe gives you a lot of looks and tone for the price, the street price is around $2,000.00 so if you are looking for a single acoustic that you can use in the studio, on stage, and sitting on your couch. Give the Songwriter Deluxe a chance, you'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just added one more to the collection. A Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. I picked her up at GC in Arlington.

She is resting comfortable on the bar with the case cracked open to allow her to stabilize to room temperature.

I figure I'll let her spend the night there, and in the morning I'll take her out, smile proudly, give her a good cleaning to try and erase the memory of all those strangers whose hands so ruthlessly groped at her like a schoolboy in heat at the store. Then I'll treat her to a new set of Gibson Masterbuilt light gage strings. After that I'll take some pictures of so the rest of you can get jealous. Then I'll smile proudly some more.

Then and only then, I will be the one to play her like cheap prom date. One thing is for certain...

"Only a Gibson IS good enough."

• 2 years later...

PLease note that my review is based on a my 2005 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe that differs cosmetically from the Modern Classic only by having an unbound fretboard and a mini Hummingbird style pickguard.

After years of owning mid to high dollar electrics and only cheap acoustics I figured it was time to make a solid investment in a good acoustic guitar. Once I figured out my what my budget would allow, I started the hunt. I spent my weekends going to every guitar shop I could find and playing everything in my price range. After almost two months I found myself coming back time and time again to the Songwriter Deluxe.

The Songwriter Deluxe has a Rosewood body with a Sitka Spruce top, a Mahogany neck with an Ebony fretboard and a 25.5" scale. This combination provides a rich full tone and the sustain needed to work well with stumming, picking, or finger styles. The Songwriter Deluxe has a deep bass that doesn't get muddy or distort when you strum hard. The midrange has a strong yet not overpowering presence that sings when strummed and highs that are both crisp and clean and don't fall off before the rest of the cohrd. The body is slightly smaller than most dreadnoughts making it easier to hold. Especialy if you are like me and do most of your playing seated and hold the guitar in a classical position. The neck profile is very comfertable and easy to navigate. Although the Abalone rosette and MOP parallelogram inlays are purely cosmetic they do add a classic and more expensive look to the guitar.

The Songwriter Deluxe has an L.R. Baggs transducer that does a very good job of Capturing the tone of the guitar. When recording I plug it straight into my BOSS Micro BR but I would advise getting an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI for the stage so you adjust the tone as may be needed in some venues.

In Conclusion, Gibson classifies the Songwriter Deluxe as a square shoulder small dreadnought, but you'll find it hard to find anything "small" about this guitar. The Songwriter Deluxe gives you a lot of looks and tone for the price, the street price is around $2,000.00 so if you are looking for a single acoustic that you can use in the studio, on stage, and sitting on your couch. Give the Songwriter Deluxe a chance, you'll be glad you did.

The best Acoustic I have ever played hence I bought it.

Archived