Gibson Brands Forums

Info Es-335 1981 Reisue

rdmaster

Hello to all,

First time here just curious on some info on a Guitar I bought in 1981 from Samash

The guitar is a Es-335 Ser# 83101030 Guitar has been in case and not played much and is Cherry or a ferrari Red

Its was the first year of the Dot neck 59/ 60 Reissue thats why i bought it stop tail piece was a plus for me. just pulled it out of storage did a setup and plays like a dream Neck was like an arrow amazed not touching for 20 years . Very similar Fatter Neck like my 59 I attached some pics if this helps it is not a Nashville guitar for sure it was from MI plant

Just curious how many were in production for that yr. and was the red Color less common. I see mostly Natural fishines seems like there are not many of these around and one of the finest guitars I have ever played very simialr to a 59 or 60 Les paul neck

Thanks for any info

Mike Ny

post-38764-057565800 1325471345_thumb.jpg

post-38764-096569900 1325471366_thumb.jpg

post-38764-035186300 1325546485_thumb.jpg

1981 was indeed the first year Gibson reissued the 335 with a stop tailpiece and dot fingerboard. Seemed like they had the '61 era slim taper neck. Not particularly rare, but nice guitars none the less. Red was more typical than other colors. Not sure what the production percentage was vs other colors.

1981 was indeed the first year Gibson reissued the 335 with a stop tailpiece and dot fingerboard. Seemed like they had the '61 era slim taper neck. Not particularly rare, but nice guitars none the less. Red was more typical than other colors. Not sure what the production percentage was vs other colors.

Thanks for the Reply. Was curious of how many were produced in the Mi plant the later over 500 were in Tenn.

I figured not that many around from MI but Thank you kindly for the response

Unfortunately we don't have any shipping totals from back in those days, as the ledgers were quite mixed up back then.

Well guess hard to find out hearing this from the horses Mouth.

I truly don't see many 1981's under the 500 digit in the ser# from the MI planet

I see plenty of 81 over the last 3 digits of 500 and up but the lot of 81's under seem to less abundent. The salesman in Ash said only selected stores had gotten the 1981 reissue at the start thats why i grabbed the only one I saw between 3 locations.

Thats why I was curious on the production count. Like I stated I don't see many 81's From Mi Plant where the poster above stated it was not uncommon.

So without an idea or count from Gibson would be hard to justify

Well Thanks for your post

• 2 years later...

Well guess hard to find out hearing this from the horses Mouth.

I truly don't see many 1981's under the 500 digit in the ser# from the MI planet

I see plenty of 81 over the last 3 digits of 500 and up but the lot of 81's under seem to less abundent. The salesman in Ash said only selected stores had gotten the 1981 reissue at the start thats why i grabbed the only one I saw between 3 locations.

Thats why I was curious on the production count. Like I stated I don't see many 81's From Mi Plant where the poster above stated it was not uncommon.

So without an idea or count from Gibson would be hard to justify

Well Thanks for your post

I just bought an '81 dot reissue, blond, production number 009. Per Gibson, the guitar was made on the 254th day of 1981 in Kalamazoo, MI.

photo5_zps3b6aa29f.jpg

• 3 years later...

Slimmer neck for sure.

• 10 months later...

Here is my 81 dot reissue. 010 SN. Not perfect but the best 335 I have owned. I had 3 or 4 from the 60s all with trapeze TP. 65-68. This neck is wonderful, wide and not that thin just the way I like it. Incredible sound with original Shaw hum buckers. I had the top volume pot recently replaced by a tech at CG. Taking the pots in and out did some light chipping on the lower F hole. ;( The silver conch someone added years ago. Serial number is 81 #post-92990-098242900 1529005292_thumb.jpeg010.

• 2 years later...
On 6/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, Dawn Patrol said:

Here is my 81 dot reissue. 010 SN. Not perfect but the best 335 I have owned. I had 3 or 4 from the 60s all with trapeze TP. 65-68. This neck is wonderful, wide and not that thin just the way I like it. Incredible sound with original Shaw hum buckers. I had the top volume pot recently replaced by a tech at CG. Taking the pots in and out did some light chipping on the lower F hole. ;( The silver conch someone added years ago. Serial number is 81 #post-92990-098242900 1529005292_thumb.jpeg010.

Wow what a STUPID “tech” at GC.. seriously never take a guitar to GC for “luthier” work

• 3 years later...