Gibson Brands Forums

tuner replacement

jakatone

i was thinking about changing the original gibson green keys on my VM,because honestly,i think they suck...now,the higher end gibsons have grovers-rotomatics i think.are they any good...because i did a little investigation on the net and found a lot of brands that are used on really expensive guitars....what would you reccomend? i was thinking about schaller vintage,or grover locking rotomatics.....however,on my tele are klusons and you can bang that guitar to a brick wall and it wount go out of tune....ahh there is tu much of this stuff

i was thinking about changing the original gibson green keys on my VM' date='because honestly,i think they suck...now,the higher end gibsons have grovers-rotomatics i think.are they any good...because i did a little investigation on the net and found a lot of brands that are used on really expensive guitars....what would you reccomend? i was thinking about schaller vintage,or grover locking rotomatics.....however,on my tele are klusons and you can bang that guitar to a brick wall and it wount go out of tune....ahh there is tu much of this stuff[/quote']

Hi, jakatone!

I don't have any specific brand recommendation for you, tuner-wise. I will say that locking tuners are probably overkill in a non-tremolo guitar.

Cat Daddy

I agree.

The LP's are beautiful...then you look down at those plastic keys.

Ive seen alot of guys change them. The grovers are nice the 18:1.

I just like to keep my guitar all Gibson. I hate, and will not use after-market products.

There is nothing wrong with the stock tuners on your guitar. Gibson does not use grovers on their higher end models, they just use Grovers on different models. Not all tuners will just drop into a Gibson headstock. A lot of them require you to enlarge the hole in the headstock. Once you do that you can never switch back without buying special bushings. The tuners on your Fender will go out of tune just as easy if you hit the headstock, the design of the Gibson headstock, just makes it easier to hit some of the tuners. Grovers, Schallers, and Kluson's are all good tuners and have all been used by Gibson at some point. Don't waste your money on locking tuners, they can make string changes faster, but they are made for tremolo guitars, and on a non-tremolo guitar you are wasting money for features you don't need. Higher ratio tuners can give you finer tuning control, but take longer to wind the string on. Just try to get direct drop in replacements if you decide to change them, try not to have to alter the holes if at all possible.

Ditto what Raptor said,,,,,,,Why do you say your tuners "suck"? If your guitar won't stay in tune it's more likely a nut problem than anything else. Nuts that are not cut properly will have more effect on tuning stability than tuners. I bet a new bone nut installed by someone that knows what their doing you is all you need.

i don´t think that the tuners are bad,but they have been bashed around a couple of times,so it´s really ym fault not gibsons=p~ you said something about the nut...i know a guy who could install it properly....but should i go with graphtec and such or the regular gibson nut.....also,does anyone know which brand of tuners would fit in my LP without having to widen the holes....i have a studio VM

Archived