Gibson Brands Forums

just words on a computer screen

nodehopper

I posted that phrase in the thread dealing with Gillian Girl and the drama going on.

I kept thinking about what I said and started to realize that there is more to it!

While many of us are happily going about life and dealing with the struggles to maintain home, health, and family in what is becoming an ever increasingly difficult world..... I realized that some can handle it and others are dealing with more!

"Cyber-bullying (predominantly spelled cyberbullying by many researchers) is when someone repeatedly makes fun of another person online or repeatedly picks on another person through emails or text messages, or uses online forums and postings online intended to harm, damage, humiliate or isolate another person that they don’t like."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-bullying

I was also in the UMGF when one of the regulars was brutally murdered and a fellow forum member became the primary suspect after contacting the victim in real world. He was later shown to be completely innocent, but I read post after post that went way over the line on the forum. Some had tried and convicted the person before the investigation was even a day old!! I wonder how some of those posters feel now?

"Approximately 18.8 million American adults, 5 or about 9.5 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year, 1 have a depressive disorder."

From the National Institute of Mental Health

U.S.A. SUICIDE: 2005 OFFICIAL FINAL DATA

National Total Number 32,637 Per Day 89.4

http://www.suicidology.org

I guess I am just trying to say we know so little about those we are talking to and about on the forums. We don't know what they are going through in their real lives. But given the sobering numbers and issues I have quoted....I wouldn't be surprised if some of those we think we know are going through some of these issues.

Yes they are just little words on a computer screen. Many of us laugh it off. Others may use the forum for companionship and escape from problems I have a hard time understanding, but I would hate to think thoughtless postings on a really great guitar forum would add pain and suffering to others.

Let's all just remember to be polite, be compassionate and don't take it for granted that your words won't hurt someone terribly. Let's enjoy the debates and passionate discussions of our differing opinions on Gibsons, guitars, music, life, and have fun doing it.

Sorry to be so serious ...but I just felt it needed to be said.

Let's all just remember to be polite' date=' be compassionate and don't take it for granted that your words won't hurt someone terribly.

[/quote']

the operative word here is .. all. you make excellent points and i respect them. but, someone who is hostile and ridiculing deserves to be rebuked lest they think they're engaging in acceptable behavior. we all have our own levels of tolerance for unpleasantness. mine is rather low. deeper, darker reasons for bad behavior not withstanding, this may not be the best place to work out one's demons. and, at the risk of sounding compassionless, i don't come here as a therapist.

in the case of the current conflagration, olive branches were offered over time and our collective eye was spit in for the trouble. at some point you've got to lay your cards on the table.

and, even if someone is being wrongly accused ( yours was a rather extreme ex.), there's still a reason for it. you reap what you sow. at least in this case.

i like coming here. it makes me happy. i will ask for as much latitude for myself, when i say or do something stupid, as i offer to anyone of good intentions. but, poke me with a stick just because you think you can, or it's your "sense of humor" and i won't be shy about letting you know what i think of you.

the operative word here is .. all. you make excellent points and i respect them. but' date=' someone who is hostile and ridiculing deserves to be rebuked lest they think they're engaging in acceptable behavior. we all have our own levels of tolerance for unpleasantness. mine is rather low. deeper, darker reasons for bad behavior not withstanding, this may not be the best place to work out one's demons. and, at the risk of sounding compassionless, i don't come here as a therapist.

in the case of the current conflagration, olive branches were offered over time and our collective eye was spit in for the trouble. at some point you've got to lay your cards on the table.

and, even if someone is being wrongly accused ( yours was a rather extreme ex.), there's still a reason for it. you reap what you sow. at least in this case.

i like coming here. it makes me happy. i will ask for as much latitude for myself, when i say or do something stupid, as i offer to anyone of good intentions. but, poke me with a stick just because you think you can, or it's your "sense of humor" and i won't be shy about letting you know what i think of you. [/quote']

You also make excellent points! It is a fine line between reasonable compassion and beating your head against a wall.

I am glad to see my post was taken as intended.

I apologize for my transgression, but it is a beautiful fall Sunday and Jack Daniels and I just watched both the Raiders and the Niners (for you Brits that is Northern California American Football) lose in such a way as to remove the last remnants of dignity they may have ever had..... .

Jack is a harsh friend when both your teams lose !! You bastard Jack !!!!

#-o#-o#-o

I am glad to see my post was taken as intended.

I apologize for my transgression' date=' but it is a beautiful fall Sunday and Jack Daniels and I just watched both the Raiders and the Niners (for you Brits that is Northern California American Football) lose in such a way as to remove the last remnants of dignity they may have ever had..... .

Jack is a harsh friend when both your teams lose !! You bastard Jack !!!!

#-o#-o#-o [/quote']

i see no transgression. just the opposite. wish the rays luck tonight against philly. i have my jack within reach.

cheers

I hate to be the first to put my hand up on this issue, but it has to be said:

This is a guitar forum. The purpose of it is to discuss issues related to Gibson guitars, and in this particular section it is to discuss Gibson acoustic guitars.

If people used this forum for its intended purpose, or if the forum were properly monitored and regulated, it is unlikely that interpersonal problems would get to the point of people leaving or even being upset.

While I fully support the opinion you are sharing here that people should be more considerate and understanding of one another, that is not a deportment you will ever find in this forum as long as the moderation remains soft and long-term inmates continue to be abusive.

If any user suffers from the mental conditions you explain, or has a host of personal problems from which they seek escape - I think this is the last place they should be spending time.

Without her sharing what has happened, nobody can tell what has gone on with Gilliangirl. It is clear from all of our posts that she is a supported member of the community and she should feel welcome, safe and able to share the problem she has experienced in more detail - this is especially true in the case of sharing with moderators so the offending party can be dealt with.

Still, I think it is reasonable to suggest that this community can provide a better experience by focusing on the forum's purpose. It is no surprise to me that there are millions of Gibson guitars in circulation but only about 40 regular users of the acoustic section of this forum.

If people used this forum for its intended purpose' date=' or if the forum were properly monitored and regulated, it is unlikely that interpersonal problems would get to the point of people leaving or even being upset.

While I fully support the opinion you are sharing here that people should be more considerate and understanding of one another, that is not a deportment you will ever find in this forum as long as the moderation remains soft and long-term inmates continue to be abusive.

[/quote']

i wonder if anyone besides myself sees the irony in this response. i would venture to guess that the last few kerfuffles that have erupted on this forum have been BC related in one way or another. admin. moderation aside, i think it is incumbent on the members to moderate themselves. straying from the purpose of the forum is inevitable as people become more familiar with one another. i suppose if you're looking for 24/7 on topic discourse, maybe there's another forum that's more suitably sterile. i have come to think of the folks here as friends and the freewheeling conversations that ensue are part and parcel to what attracts me to this forum. and in pursuit of that, i would never suggest to one of them that their shoes looked funny or their dog was ugly or they were stupid or sheep-like because they saw fit to accessorize their guitar with bob colosi pins just because i thought it a waste of time or money. that's self moderation. common courtesy, encouragement, non-judgmental attitude, fun, helpful. these are the watch words i TRY to adhere to. ya get back what ya put out there.

the rays are down 5-1 i the top of the 5th. not looking real good. where's my jack?

i have come to think of the folks here as friends and the freewheeling conversations that ensue are part and parcel to what attracts me to this forum

I think you are exactly correct ! And we can be judged solely on what we say with out the preconceptions of the Real World...which I think is a positive. There can also be a detachment that we sometimes forget about, the written words don't have the real world context we are used to which can be harder to interpret correctly. I think many of us are who we project online...but I also think there are those who may be more complex and if we truly want to be friends online...we need to balance this in our conduct.

Oh and if Jack is busy ....try his friends Jim Beam or Johnny Walker ...

i wonder if anyone besides myself sees the irony in this response. i would venture to guess that the last few kerfuffles that have erupted on this forum have been BC related in one way or another. admin. moderation aside' date=' i think it is incumbent on the members to moderate themselves. straying from the purpose of the forum is inevitable as people become more familiar with one another. i suppose if you're looking for 24/7 on topic discourse, maybe there's another forum that's more suitably sterile. i have come to think of the folks here as friends and the freewheeling conversations that ensue are part and parcel to what attracts me to this forum. and in pursuit of that, i would never suggest to one of them that their shoes looked funny or their dog was ugly or they were stupid or sheep-like because they saw fit to accessorize their guitar with bob colosi pins just because i thought it a waste of time or money. that's self moderation. common courtesy, encouragement, non-judgmental attitude, fun, helpful. these are the watch words i TRY to adhere to. ya get back what ya put out there.

the rays are down 5-1 i the top of the 5th. not looking real good. where's my jack?[/quote']

+1. it is not "the mods" job. they have to step in when members cant/wont act like the adults they've become by virtue of age. we must police ourselves as we would/should in any other social situation. there is no real anonymity from courtesy and decency here or anywhere.

looks like i picked the wrong week to quit drinking jack.

Well said, Jannus. If a forum member is unhappy or uncomfortable with casual conversation between friends on the forum, whether it be off-topic or about something other than Gibson acoustic guitars, and desires a stricter format that would, for instance, moderate and/or edit a post for the mere mention of another brand of acoustic guitar, then I think this is the last place they should be spending time.

Some people need to chill...don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff...ifyaknowhatImsayin.

Archived