Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk Project

guitarjeff

I just recently picked up a transparent amber Epi Nighthawk in really nice shape, but without covers, hardware, or electronics. I thought the slanted bridge humbucker would be the most difficult part to find, but it turns out SD makes a version of the JB and the '59 for the nighthawk for around $80 at guitarpartsresource.com, and most pickup makers seem to make at least one version of the mini-humbucker. What's turning out to be hard to find is the electronics cover, the bridge, and the mid-position single-coil, which, from what I've been able to find out, is not the same size as the Fender-style single-coils. Anyone have a source for parts?

The cover you can make yourself out of Plexiglas from Home Depot.

The bridge and middle pickup may be a bit more difficult...

Yeah, I've already been thinking about making one out of plexiglas, or a piece of aluminum or stainless, or maybe even a piece of pickguard material.

The Duncan custom shop can make a middle SC pickup. Looks to me to be made of one coil from the bridge pickup with countersunk mount holes added to the top bobbin and probably thru holes on the bottom bobbin for the screw. Not sure if there is foam or springs under the pickup.

Ok, thanks. I think someone in here mentioned having to remove the foam cuz he wanted to lower the middle pickup.

That would be me. Don't know why i don't see a lot of people complaining about it, but for me it gets in the way of my pick big time. I removed the foam under it and was able to lower it enough to be out of the way and it sounds just fine still.

Archived