Gibson Brands Forums

Victory Guitars

MickRohman

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I just got a 1982 Gibson Victory MVX that does not have the original pickup in the bridge position. Can anyone tell me the model pickup that was used so I can try to buy one in order to restore this Victory to its former glory?

Thanks, WIlly

PS The coil splitter switch replacement is a whole other issue I would like to restore as well too.

post-57218-054845400 1404689638_thumb.jpg

Hello.

I just got a 1982 Gibson Victory MVX that does not have the original pickup in the bridge position. Can anyone tell me the model pickup that was used so I can try to buy one in order to restore this Victory to its former glory?

Thanks, WIlly

PS The coil splitter switch replacement is a whole other issue I would like to restore as well too.

"Seek and ye shall find" :

www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-Gibson-ZEBRA-Creme-Black-Patent-Number-BRIDGE-Humbucking-Pickup-9-67-/380933861984?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item58b16d7260

Regards,

Deryck

• 4 months later...

Anyone ever encountered a Victory 12 string? I've got one on the bench now. It's a greenish/gray metallic finish. Has 2 Single Coils and non traditional double coil bridge pickup. Has volume/tone and 3 mini toggles. Tune-a-matic bridge with hook style tailpiece. Set neck, Les Paul style pickguard (albeit smaller), Grover Tuners, silkscreened "Original Gibson Prototype" on back of headstock, headstock is the open-book style. Serial #82615510.

If anyone has any info, let me know.

Thanks in advance...

Scott Eivins

A&Z Guitar Repair

197 Femmer DR

Eolia, MO 63344

azguitarrepair-evh AT yahoo.com

I know it's a bit late, but it looks as though it's a Q Series 4000. They were made from left over Victory bodies apparently and one has just come up on ebay in a pewter finish, also marked "Prototype"; it explains the non-Victory pickups. Link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271666148178?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,

Deryck

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In '88 when i was 14 years old i bought my first Gibson. A Custom Shop(stamped on the back of the headstock) Q-100. The same body as the Victory, but a different headstock(like The U2-model at the same time). It had one humbucker. A Dirty Fingers pickup. A Nashville bridge and a stoptail. I have never ever seen the same guitar since. Not even on the web. A friend of mind bought it from me in '92 and has it still. Cool guitar.

• 7 months later...

Hi there everyone I'm new to the board and I believe that I own one of the holy grails of these guitars I have a victory mvx made in late 1980 it's stamped original Gibson prototype and the serial number is 07 it's also an unusual tobacco burst finish it's the original color the guitar is completely original and I love it I got it from a pawn shop in San Francisco in 1992 and I only paid $240 for it I would love to hear from other victory owners and hear all your victory stories I'm sad this guitar never caught on I'm always asked at gigs is it really a Gibson? Anyway I hope to hear from my fellow victory owners later all

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi all,

I am new here and have recently acquired a well worn, sunburst Gibson MVX 3 pick up model.

Sadly, all pickups have been replaced and are not even fitted correctly. The guitar, in its current state is unplayable as one pickup just sits loose and is not even fixed to the body correctly.

I would like to replace all three with something which looks and hopefully sounds as near to the original as possible.

The original pickups seems to be cream/black humbuckers with a cream stacked humbucker in the middle position.

Can anyone advise me please what would be an appropriate replacement for what is currently on the guitar.

Thank you very much

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, Ray Guselli said:

Hi all,

I am new here and have recently acquired a well worn, sunburst Gibson MVX 3 pick up model.

Sadly, all pickups have been replaced and are not even fitted correctly. The guitar, in its current state is unplayable as one pickup just sits loose and is not even fixed to the body correctly.

I would like to replace all three with something which looks and hopefully sounds as near to the original as possible.

The original pickups seems to be cream/black humbuckers with a cream stacked humbucker in the middle position.

Can anyone advise me please what would be an appropriate replacement for what is currently on the guitar.

Thank you very much

Ray

Just wondered if there was any thoughts about replacement pick up please?

Thank you

Ray

• 8 months later...

Here's a question for you all:

Has anyone ever seen a black Victory MVX?  

I have an all-black MVX that I got for my 15th birthday in 1987. According to the serial number, it was made in 85.  And, oddly, it doesn't say "Victory" on the headstock, just "Gibson" and the "MVX" on truss cover.  

The only other black one I've even heard of is in a Hard Rock Cafe, apparently played by Roy Orbison at some point. 

My dad bought the guitar off his cousin, who bought it off of a guitarist in a band my uncle played in. I have no idea where he might have gotten it, other than that he was from Sarasota Florida. 

Any ideas on why this guitar was made? Are there any other black Victory's out there? 

12 hours ago, J.G. Ballard said:

Here's a question for you all:

Has anyone ever seen a black Victory MVX?  

Any ideas on why this guitar was made? Are there any other black Victory's out there? 

1/ There were black vic basses. Didn't know there were black 6 strings.

2/ Gibson were presumably probing the Fender market. They've done it a few times. Fender have vice versa also. 

Its been fun reading this old thread again, -except for people getting upset of course. 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, merciful-evans said:

Its been fun reading this old thread again, -except for people getting upset of course. 

Those were the parts I liked. I was hoping me and Sgt FZ was gonna get a-fightin' over the string gauge/B standard tuning thing, but it failed miserably. Probably because we're both rebels without a cause and so hardcore we even saw Metallica in the early 90s.

• 7 months later...

I have a factory black MV-X. It’s at my luthiers right now so I don’t have serial # handy but it’s a 1981. It also has a Gibson tremolo. I don’t know if it’s also factory installed. The bridge pickup is factory too but it’s not the zebra striped. A lot of mystery with it as the previous owner knew nothing about where it came from. Claimed they got it a pawn shop in LA. I’ve also got the 82 MV-2 and the other is a 1985 GCS Q-3000 which is what they used the leftover Victory bodies for. 
Here’s a link to a pic on IG 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCspjiZsmXA/?igshid=17uapgycy3a4y

9DA3497A-9A29-45E8-B75F-134B8EFFA827.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 5/17/2016 at 1:52 PM, Hearselover said:

Hi there everyone I'm new to the board and I believe that I own one of the holy grails of these guitars I have a victory mvx made in late 1980 it's stamped original Gibson prototype and the serial number is 07 it's also an unusual tobacco burst finish it's the original color the guitar is completely original and I love it I got it from a pawn shop in San Francisco in 1992 and I only paid $240 for it I would love to hear from other victory owners and hear all your victory stories I'm sad this guitar never caught on I'm always asked at gigs is it really a Gibson? Anyway I hope to hear from my fellow victory owners later all

Time to resurrect a dead thread. I just bought prototype number 10 yesterday at a pawn shop in Chicago. This guitar has the lowest action that I've ever seen. Cool instrument. All original except for the coil split switch. That was broken so I replaced it. 

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

• Like 1