Gibson Brands Forums

SG 12 string 2011

dango

I just purchased mine in late November from LA Music up in Canada. They had two left at the time I got mine, but I believe they are sold out. I searched the internet for about two weeks before finding mine. I heard that Gibson had made 400-500 (conflicting numbers from different sources). I inquired if Gibson was going to make more and if they would be Anniversary editions, but they never answered my inquiry. Many dealers are taking orders for March-May delivery, but who knows.

I love the guitar and mine was delivered in IMPECCABLE condition aside from needing to be set up. It sounds GREAT.

GuitarsAnn [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I so seldom look at the back of the headstock, I missed that!! Sure enough!!! Made in USA 2011 under the serial number. I guess if any more are made they will have to be 2012 and wouldn't be genuine 50th Anniversary Editions. Glad I was able to get mine. It surely will be a keepsake. I do hope they make it a regular production model, though. Seems ashame if they didn't because, 50th or not, it is an awesome guitar and needed in the Gibson arsenal.

GuitarsAnn [biggrin]

• 3 months later...

I ordered mine the same day I got the e-mail, about 1 year ago. I finally got it in August. Mine had several problems. Buffing divots in the finish, crooked machine heads, inconsistent action,and you couldnt read the Made in USA 2011 stamp, it wasnt deep enough. I sent it back, after a while I got another one. Everything else was fine except the action, some of the slots in the saddles were too low, I have been waiting for months for Gibson to send me the correct saddles, they have sent me the wrong parts 5 times. So I havent been able to play the guitar at optimal action yet. I think the new PLEK system isnt that good. Except for that (Which is ridiculously inconvenient after all this time) I do love it. I am curious to its future also. The day I got the e-mail I put my new RIC 360/12 on ebay and made enough money to pay for the SG-12 string with a couple hundred left over. The price was good considering the high price of Gibsons these days.

VP

post-33414-063113500 1336076067_thumb.jpg

post-33414-034232600 1336076080_thumb.jpg

post-33414-041087600 1336076088_thumb.jpg

Interesting to know these exist... I would have not pinned SG as a good 12string candidate, since ususally a stronger neck is required. I'd love to play one, but I can't fault my Ric 330/12... that works ok too.

I want one, but need to wait and hope I can get my paws on one in a few years. (married, 3 kids in college.)

It would be really cool if this was added as a standard model. I always loved the twelve string sound of the 1275 double-neck, but they're pricey and bulky, especially since I'm only interested in the top neck :)

I got mine last Fall. It was the second one I got. The first, I ordered in May from Guitar Center. I used a 15% off coupon, so I got it at a pretty good price, I thought. When it came, the finish was messed up, so I sent it back. I ordered another, but it was after the raid, and they kept pushing it back and pushing it back. I found another at Sam Ash, so I canceled my Guitar Center order and got it from Sam Ash. I asked them if they could beat the Guitar Center price (including my 15% off). To top it off, I got it about $100.00 cheaper than Guitar Center. The second finally arrived September 30th. This is such a cool guitar. Its really fun to play and sounds incredible. It was made June 21st, prior to the raid. In case anyone notices the truss rod cover, I got that off of ebay.

SG-12.jpg

Archived