Gibson Brands Forums

Repair work on my Gibson acoustic

deancjones

Hi all, new to this forum, but some advice appreciated.

I have a nice old Gibson acoustic i picked up years back from a guitar sale in Memphis. Despite some research, I know no more about it than it has the Gibson moniker and a registration number 345944. Can anyone tell me the model and/or heritage of this?

It was recently damaged, a crack down the face of the body. It's clearly affected the sound, not that it matters too much to me as i only play at home. I don't have any plans on seeling it. I guess my query is whether a repair/restoration would adversely affect any vintage status - if any - the guitar may have??

Cheers

dj

Welcome to the forum....

There is a wealth of knowlege here and I am sure with some more information, you will get the answers you need. If you can post photos (you need to use a photo hostiing service on the web like Photobucket to "link" the photos in here) people will for sure be able to tell you what you have.

It would also help to know any other information such as anything stamped on the inside of the guitar, back of head stock, shape of pickguard, etc. You can't tell the model number from the serial number and on many of the vintage models, you can't even determine the year from the serial number.

Since the crack is "fresh", I beg you to get it to a repair person as soon as possible. Most any crack can be repaired but if they're caught before they can get dirty and/or have much hygroscopic action going on, they have a much better chance of being less noticeable.

My God' date=' albertjohn, don't ask a new member to publicly admit to playing cricket. Have a heart old man!!

Welcome Dean!

It's a religion to the Aussies. I was only trying to be friendly.

Chances are DJ is not the Dean Jones who played for Australia - a fabulous batsmen who I always enjoyed watching except when he was playing against England.

Too many broken fingers to play guitar perhaps?

Thanks for your interest gents.

I am a Victorian and share the great man's name, but can boast no more than being an serviceable opening bat, and purveyor of straightish off-breaks...

Appreciate your advice on the repair - i've attached a few pics - http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/deancjones/

i may have underplayed the extent of the damage, but you've motivated me to investigate repair (i'd gaffer taped it which masked the urgency). It also needs a good cedar polish and tidy up.

Mike - thanks for that - can't find any other identifying numbers in the interior, the pics might help identifying model?

Onewilyfool - noted with interest Jerry Lewis comments - some outrage in the U.S. i hear, but otherwise a term we merely associate with Warney's smoking habit

Hello, Quite a nasty break there, DC! The guitar appears to be a 60's LGO Gibson. The tuners and pickguard are replaced and it appears to have been refinished some. Not much collectable value there.....but could be a nice utilitarian guitar if you wanted to pursue the repair. Cheers, RRod

That is a pretty good break. I'm sure it can be repaired and if you want to keep the guitar to play and enjoy, it might be worth getting an estimate. You'll then need to decide if the cost of repair is worth it to you. You probably won't be able to ever sell it as a real collectable and it probably wouldn't be worth much to keep it as an investment, either.

Archived