Gibson Brands Forums

TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece

Vinlander

Hello,

I am thinking about trying a TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece on my modded Sheraton.

I have seen the one available for Gibson's guitar, but what about the one used on the Epiphone Lucille.

Anyway to buy these Epiphone ones from Epi or somewhere else ?

Vinlander,

I have never seen an Epiphone TP-6 for sale on the open market.

There may or may not be a slight difference between the Epi TP-6 that comes on a Lucille and the Gibson ones that are sold on the open market.

The Epi version Pete.R has would probably fit a Gibson. Unfortunately that does not assure that a Gibson TP-6 will fit an Epi.

I have installed (with slight modification) a Gibson TP-6 on my Epi Les Paul.

So, lets start with the basics:

The center to center of the stud slots is about 3-1/4". Mine came in at 3-7/32". (very close to 82mm.)

This should be common for both Gibson and Epiphone......

I do know that some of the older Sheratons have slightly different specs so, measure yours carefully.

If your center to center measurement of your tailpiece studs come in close to that you may be half way home.

Where there may be a difference is in the width of the slots and the thickness of the posts.

If after reading this you are still interested, I can put put up some pictures and explanations later.

My apologies as I have a meeting to attend and will not be back home for several hours.

Willy

[scared]

All Parts

Here's a link to one supplier. I'm sure there are others, maybe a little less expensive.

[scared] Good Lord! I had NO idea, they were that expensive, now?!! I paid 50 bucks,

for my TP-6 (Gibson, not aftermarket) tailpieces, several years ago. Wow...they've really

gone up!! OR, someone's making a killing, as the "middleman!" Damn!! [cursing]](*,)

CB

Good Lord! I had NO idea, they were that expensive, now?!! I paid 50 bucks,

for my TP-6 (Gibson, not aftermarket) tailpieces, several years ago.

You would freak looking at the Gibson website. The MSRP is $172.

Fact is most places sell them for around a hundred bucks.....Still, I know what you mean.

My first one was $35 in 1976. I bought one for my Epi LP a few years back for $65.

Then about a year or two ago they took a huge jump.

By the by, What is MSRP?....(Mighty Silly Ridiculous Price?)

Willy

Possible options may include Schaller (Germany) or Kahler (USA).. I specifically stated Possible, because I don't know first hand if the post spacings are correct.

Bill

Hello,

I am thinking about trying a TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece on my modded Sheraton.

I have seen the one available for Gibson's guitar, but what about the one used on the Epiphone Lucille.

Anyway to buy these Epiphone ones from Epi or somewhere else ?

You would freak looking at the Gibson website. The MSRP is $172.

Fact is most places sell them for around a hundred bucks.....Still, I know what you mean.

My first one was $35 in 1976. I bought one for my Epi LP a few years back for $65.

Then about a year or two ago they took a huge jump.

By the by, What is MSRP?....(Mighty Silly Ridiculous Price?)

Willy

MSRP Is "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price." (Just in case, you weren't being sarcastic?) [biggrin]

CB

MSRP Is "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price." (Just in case, you weren't being sarcastic?) [biggrin]

Just me in a goof ball mood C.B. Kind of slow around here in Jan.

although there was some work to be done ....

011.jpg

James_E.

Wow!!! That really looks nice. Much less bulky than a TP-6. What "adjustments" did you have to do to make it happen?

Willy

TP-6 can be installed on many Epi's, Sheraton II,LP's,Delray,Coronet,etc...

2311649830033873010S500x500Q85.jpg

2176683940033873010S500x500Q85.jpg

Most useful improvement,next to Sperzel or Schaller Locking tuners,

both tuners and tailpiece provide total tuning stability and adjustment, and significantly improved tonal depth and sustain.

Just me in a goof ball mood C.B. Kind of slow around here in Jan.

James_E.

Wow!!! That really looks nice. Much less bulky than a TP-6. What "adjustments" did you have to do to make it happen?

Willy

Willy, both the bridge and tailpiece are Schaller and very nice quality.

The tail piece actually fit with almost no work now that I think about it (it was a couple of years ago now), I think I just pulled the old bushings and dropped in the replacements that came with the tailpiece - the distance between centers was almost identical, close enough to work anyways.

It was the bridge that took some work - I took the bushings that came with the bridge and reduced the outside diameter until they dropped directly into the Epi bushings (which I left in the body) - the Schaller tailpiece bushings are much smaller than the Epi ones and drop directly inside the Epi bushings with very little grinding.

I love the roller bridge as the Schaller version gives you lateral of the string spacing.

Radman,

You're not starting any arguments here....LOL...

BlueLPNew.jpg

What if any adjustments did you have to make in terms of fit?

Willy

At most, slight pressure on the tuning studs to get it's alignment in good.

Level the studs first, it makes it easier. Pretty much a drop in, plug and play mod.

Willy, both the bridge and tailpiece are Schaller

I'm going to have to take a better look at some of their hardware. I've always known Schaller as top drawer company.

I'm rebuilding a guit over the winter and it may end up with some new hardware.

At most, slight pressure on the tuning studs to get it's alignment in good.

Level the studs first, it makes it easier. Pretty much a drop in, plug and play mod.

Others have told me that they had little or no trouble doing a drop in with a TP-6.

I wasn't that lucky.

My Epi studs were slightly larger than the Gibson's that came with it. (now mind...the center to center on the studs was the same)

1000823v.jpg

Any way, I figured I could either:

A. Change the bushing and the stud to the Gibson....(Trouble was the bushings required different size holes.)

B. File the inside of the slots of the TP-6.........(I have a problem modding a one buck tailpiece when a stud cost five cents.

C. Turn the shaft of the Epi stud down. (actually, I just bought another set of metric studs)

Gibson on the left....Epi on the right.

1000827b.jpg

I'm sure it would be better if I had a machine shop around. Oh well.

Disclaimer: It's not the right way, It's just my way.

I don't have a lathe so for small parts I sometimes use my drill.

First I taped the threads. About 8 or 10 wraps. (Easy fit in a 3/8" chuck drill...9.5mm)

1000828e.jpg

Then I hand tightened it into the chuck and took a file to it:

1000830r.jpg

This is what I ended up with:

1000833v.jpg

Not really all that big a deal.

Why would a guitar need tuners at both ends?

They are that much more accurate.

Willy

I bought a 1978 Gibson L-6s custom a month ago and it has a TP-6 on it.I'm not sure if it was stock on it but the year is right and most of the TP-6 bridges were used in 1978 so who knows maybe it's stock.Although the guitar needs a good cleaning everything works fine and it all seems to be stock.Cool tailpiece with the small tuners on it and the strings thread through like a standard bridge no cutting the ball ends off like some of the Floyd's or Kahlers.

2764388720043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

The Schaller model cost me $70 and fit my EE05 LP Standard pretty well, although there was some work to be done as it's not a direct replacement.

011.jpg

You are a legend!

On and off for over a year, I've been looking for photos of what the schaller one actually looks like. The 2 or so photos of it on the entire internet are from bad angles that give away nothing. #-o

My towering pillar of hats off to you, sir.

4507100640_dd1719108b_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I really like the TP-6 on my Sheraton.

The one I got from Ebay was an Epiphone branded one and it came with the posts.

I had to use the included posts as they are narrower so no need to drill anything.

Perfect fit and a nice addition to an already highly customized Sherry.

uadlv.jpg

5lxvus.jpg

I had a Lucille and didn't have any use for the TP-6. The knobs are so close together, it's hard to turn them to tune. Why would a guitar need tuners at both ends?

"Need" might be overstating, but it can be a convenience. Most violins, violas, cellos and string basses have little knobs at the tailpiece for fine-tuning adjustments, with the tuning pegs being used for larger adjustments. The TP-6 provides the same functions on a guitar.

Archived