Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Clark Edition?

Charles J. White

benguitar-albums-my-favorite-gibson-pictures-picture15412-steve-clark.jpegSteve Clark founding member of Def Leppard was a Gibson fanatic, a lot of us picked up a guitar because of Clark - he was a very unique player who basically played nothing but Gibson except for the odd time. I understand that Steve was even buried with one of his guitars. Phil Collen, his bandmate still has one of his guitars, and knew exactly what he liked for a setup. His fiancée Lorelei Shellist also has a few of his guitars, and his younger brother Chris has some of his guitars. I think Joe Elliott singer of Leppard even has one of his guitars. Perhaps it is time that Gibson put out a Steve Clark edition? The right people that knew exactly what he liked are still alive, as is his former guitar tech Malvin Moretimer. Any chance of this happening?

biosteve11bigel2.jpg

steveclark.jpg?w=497

Hello Charles! It's good to know I am not alone with my suggestion. As with the Randy Rhoads signature, I've been harrassing Gibson with the Steve Clark signature for a while now. The Randy Rhoads signature appeared, let's hope (and keep pushing them) maybe one they our wish will come true. Cheers... Bence

I'm sorry this is what Gibson needs yet another Signature release of a normal LP and attach a artist name so it can be sold more than twice the original inflated amount the un-named guitar would cost.

Well, hard to argue with Your statement..I'll be honest with You: I was sending mails to Gibson quite a lot of them to recreate Randy Rhoads' '74 LP - although I already knew that I'll never have the change to own one. Neither I would be able to buy a Steve Clark model or any other signatures. But some are able and probably will buy these. It's a matter of respect in my opinion. These great players are worth remembering, and carve their names in stone, or - in this case - in wood. That's all. I know it's purely business for Gibson - not even a bad one, but I don't care. It really doesn't bothers me if someone is earning big money - I care for my own business. Anything that keeps the memory of these fantastic artists and celebrates them are worth creating it. Cheers...Bence

Just one more thing: You can't call the Randy Rhoads guitar a regular LP, since it's a perfect recrearion of Norlin LP, a guitar which is not in production anymore in that way of construction...Neither would be a Steve Clark model, due to the tremolo bar and pickup configuration. Cheers...Bence

It's a matter of respect in my opinion. These great players are worth remembering, and carve their names in stone, or - in this case - in wood.

I have to agree with your statement. I understand that many of these signature models are driving a market that seems insane and not for "guitar players." The reality is that these guitars are not really meant for players, but rather collectors. The collector market is not going to be large and vocal, but when they buy an outrageously priced guitar, they do help to keep Gibson in business. Sell as many signature models that you like Gibson, but remember that your core market is players and that we need quality instruments. As for the Clapton signature model, that guitar is iconic. Thank God they finally put it out. I can't and won't disrespect that guitar or anyone that came forward and bought one.

Here are a few of things that he had done to some of his Gibson's: Kahler temolo units, coil top switches to divide out the pickups, GHS Boomers strings, lock in nut a the top of the arm to keep things from getting to wild, dimarzio pick ups, softer metal picks.

From what I understand Gibson had a very good relationship with Clark. Bizzare that no Steve Clark Edition is out yet

From my point of view If you want a Signature Guitar by your favourite artist, find a guitar in the nearest finish and modify it to the specs yourself.

Half the time you just need to change some cosmetics which costs next to nothing, however even if you need to change the pickups and some electronics your not looking at over £100 to do it.

The result is a VERY personal Guitar and one that very few would ever own BUT at an affordable price...

post-39086-093933000 1326414415_thumb.jpg

The white Les Paul Custom would be a seriously cool guitar as a gibson tribute. No artist or Gibson model since Steve seems to have adopted the 3 pickup custom with cream surrounds/selector switch and pickguard. Here's my version without the trem and pickguard - I prefer the pickguard removed and I could not bring myself to retro fit a Kahler! I kind of hope Gibson don't re-release so I continue to have a fairly unique guitar.

I still don't get why there's a Chad Kroeger model, when the guy plays PRS almost exclusively in any of the videos I've seen. And I begrudgingly admit I like the Blackwater (nice finish), although I'd hate having to think of Nickelback every time I picked it up.

I thought one of the problems that arose with making a Steve Clark model was almost all of his Les Pauls were scattered to the four corners of the earth after his death (I thought his widow and/or estate sold off most of them.)

I posted on the old Gibson forum about this years ago.... there was some interest in the idea but I think as far as Gibson were concerned it fell on deaf ears??

Would love a Steve Clark edition simply because it would be a fine tribute to a fine musician. But to authorise a Signature guitar what do you need to do? Do Gibson have to obtain permission from people such as his family or other band mates or is that something that they could just go and create?

To answer a couple of the question from above...

- Yes, in the early days Clark played a Hamer double cutaway guitar (special) and the Gibson Explorer look-a-like - the Hamer standard.

- Clark's family have apparently got most of his guitars, Collen and Elliott have one and his ex-fiancee Lorelei Shellist has a couple of his guitars. At the time of Steve's death his girlfriend of the time, Janie Dean, was alleged to have stolen some of his guitars from his London home and sold them off.

And also at the time of his death Clark was believed to have some more guitars on order from Gibson... however I cannot confirm if this is 100% accurate, but it would be likely given he had an endorsement with Gibson.

Steve Clark was also iconic with the Gibson Firebird and had a couple of these customised from Gibson too. He was ultra-cool.

The best place I know of on the web for info on Steve's guitars and gear is on this very cool fan website: http://www.steveclarkguitar.com

I for one would love to see a Clark signature out there.

Hurrah, it's not just me that thinks this is a great idea. TOTALLY disagree that this would just be "Another" signature les paul.

I absolutely agree that most Les Paul Signature models these days are nothing more than a standard LP with a fancy paint job. (Billy Morrison. WTF?)

But this would be something totally different from the rest of the LP range, and would produce a real variety of tones. My suggestion would be:

Steve Clark WHITE LIGHTNING Tribute Les Paul based on his white les paul custom, which was his main stage guitar during the Hysteria tour.

Triple pickup Les Paul Custom in Antique White (not available as a standard LP - only black beauty and Peter Framton is available with 3 pickups)

I'd have a slight mod from the original guitar and have Dirty Finger pickup in the bridge (as per his black les paul) with 2 '59s in the middle and neck positions.

A coil tap to switch from humbucking to single coil

I'd also take another element from the black les paul and add his signature at the 12th Fret

And finally a Kahler trem which was really important in getting some of those tones that he got on hysteria, not massive dive bombs, but smooth vibrato. Hardly any LP with trems, and none with a Kahler.

Check out http://www.steveclarkguitar.com/StevesHysteriaTourGuitars.html and you'll see that not only is it a stunning guitar, but it's got some really unique features that you can't get on Standard Les Pauls.

If anyone at Gibson is reading this, and you need contact info to make this special edition guitar happen, I have the firm that is in charge of Steve's estate, and some contact info for his parents who look after the estate through the firm.

Here is Steve in all of his glory:

My link

And

And

And

My link

• 5 weeks later...

He influenced a great deal of individuals and yet because he played with feel and vibe instead of speed and flash he is ignored.

Yep, a fantastic guitarist and when you look at the people who *do* have a Gibson signature LP, I personally find that it makes Gibson look bad for not having a Steve Clark one.

I love my LP Trad, but would love to give it more company :)

In the middle of the age of shred, Steve Clark's phrasing was outstanding, both tasteful and superb. He always let the song take center stage and played what fit, rather than let his ego run wild and cram in as many notes as possible like so many of his contemporaries.

I'll never understand how Chad Kroeger got a signature LP, every picture or video I've seen of that guy he's always playing a PRS. But endorsements aside I do think the Blackwater looks really nice and is probably excellent.

• 10 months later...

Hi folks first post.

I have contacted my local guitar center and am having the Gibson custom shop build me a White Custom with 3 pickups just like Steve's. I'm requesting it to have 3 Gibson 1959 pickups or a dirty fingers at the bridge still deciding, a white pickguard, a gold Kahler 2200 tremolo and "white lightning" at the 12 fret. Just like this:

SteveClark_zps26b4d07c.jpg

Steve Clark was a big influence on me. Besides EVH he is my biggest influence and this is my way of honering him. I miss him and Lep isn't the same without him.

• 5 years later...

It's ironic;

I intended to speak of Steve Clark yesterday, in an Al Anon meeting.

In the end, it was a crowded meeting, and I passed on the opportunity to contribute, as the hour was drawing to a close.

Perhaps next time.

:(

Archived