Gibson Brands Forums

Good heavens, that thing is good

RudyH

When I turned 50 I treated myself to a Gibson guitar. I have always admired the ES335 and liked the sound (and appearance) above all other electrics. Now I own one. (Yippee!! I'm a lucky man!)

After trying a number of 335 look-alikes I simply found that the Gibson sounded better and felt better. I'm really happy I got that Gibson and, although expensive, I feel it was worth it.

What do you like about your Gibson guitar? and what got you interested in Gibson guitars in the first place?

gratz on the new guitar! Gibson is by far the best...

... what do I like about my LP? Everything. tone, playability, feel, weight, finish... it's all awesome.

What got me interested in the first place? Hard to say. A combination of things, really; a friend of mine kept ranting on about how awesome they were and how he couldn't wait to get his SG 61 RI... so then I did some research to find out what an SG actually was. from there on I kept researching and researching until I had picked out my dream guitar... an LP standard. And now that I own one, I can't stop thinking about the other 6 guitars I want.... (62 Strat RI, 2009 R9, 52 Tele RI, SJ-200 True Vintage, SG Custom....)

Welcome aboard Rudy!

I love my Gibson because its what an electric guitar should look like, sound like and feel like.

I have tried alot, and to me theres only two guitars. Gibson & Fender.

Anything else just doesnt do it for me.

Gibson will always be my number 1....but Fender is a close second.

There is nothing like that kick in the chest you get when blasting a power chord on a Les Paul. IMO, no guitar has such inherent raw power. Their other models are pretty darn good too although all I have experience with is the SG and Special.

The Les Paul is THE iconic guitar of rock and roll and is used by many top artists - that is what initially got me interested in Gibsons.

Welcome aboard Rudy!

I love my Gibson because its what an electric guitar should look like' date=' sound like and feel like.

I have tried alot, and to me theres only two guitars. Gibson & Fender.

Anything else just doesnt do it for me.

Gibson will always be my number 1....but Fender is a close second.[/quote']

Ok... from now on I'm not answering any posts, this guy always says what I would have said! So... +1 for everything deepblue says.

1.- Gibson

2.- Fender

3.- nothing else.

Oh... and welcome to the forum!

When I turned 50 I treated myself to a Gibson guitar. I have always admired the ES335 and liked the sound (and appearance) above all other electrics. Now I own one. (Yippee!! I'm a lucky man!)

After trying a number of 335 look-alikes I simply found that the Gibson sounded better and felt better. I'm really happy I got that Gibson and' date=' although expensive, I feel it was worth it.

What do you like about your Gibson guitar? and what got you interested in Gibson guitars in the first place?[/quote']

The "rule" is you must post pictures of a new Gibson for us to enjoy. Congratulations. Cheers.

I have always loved the Gibson LP and when I had the chance I just had to get one... the combination of look and sound makes it just one of the best. Gibson is an icon in the industry and it's meant to be played and played hard! I just love it and I'm happy with my two.

Jeff ^_^

After trying a number of 335 look-alikes I simply found that the Gibson sounded better and felt better. I'm really happy I got that Gibson and' date=' although expensive, I feel it was worth it.

What do you like about your Gibson guitar? and what got you interested in Gibson guitars in the first place?[/quote']

Tough question.

I'd always hankered after a Strat and bought one when I turned 40 - mid life crisis- can't afford a 911 and now don't want one either!

Took up lessons again about 7 or 8 years ago and my teacher has a fantastic Gibson collection. Played a few and then only ever wanted a 335 and a Hummingbird.

When I could afford them I got both although preferred the overall package of the SWD to the HB at the time. Now I play Gibsons virtually all the time although the Tak 12 str gets an airing regularly.

I still love to play the Strat. Even acoustically I love that woody twang and the "in between" tones plugged in.

I think my next guitar will be another Gibson. Possibly an AJ or SJ200 - we'll see. GAS is perfectly under control at the moment.

And now you have enough Les Pauls for a softball team... interesting change of heart.

Although to your credit (or rather' date=' your fiance's) you do now own a Custom shop SG RI... right?[/quote']

Soft ball? We're Canadian...one more to serve as a goalie and I've got enough for a Hockey Team!

Yes, she did. I also have a SG Standard that I've owned for around a year now (they're in my signature).

Before that, I had a wine red SG Special for around 2 1/2 years. I traded it in when I got the SG Standard.

i remember going to my friends house when i first started playing. i was about 10 years old . we snuck into his parents bedroom and took out a guitar case from underneith the bed and opened it up and it was a black les paul custom . that pretty much did me in .

Initially I wanted to be like my favorite musicians (look, play, and sound) and all but eric clapton played a Gibson Les Paul. It worked out well because my older brother became hooked on Fender Strats so we both had a different sound.

My first decent guitar was a '61 Melody Maker twin pickup double cut I got in 1970. I was 12. I had junk before that.

My second guitar was a '72 Les Paul "Recording" (bought in 1980) that I gigged with from Arizona to Louisiana to Illinois for 14 years. Bars.

I also picked up a nos '79 "The S.G." walnut monster around 1993.

I went to Fenders for a few years while playiing a lot of Country, both a Strat and a Tele. Just retired the '91 Tele a few months ago because of the ES-339.

I'm positive I won't go back to Fenders. I got tired of forcing the tone out of them. It can be done, but it's half the battle, and I'd rather concentrate on the notes.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Style & attitude. When I was a kid my ears weren't developed enough to appreciate the difference between a fender vs. gibson when going by sound alone. The guys who played Gibsons looked like they might beat you up, steal your ****, then knock up your mother/sister/girlfriend/all 3. In any order. The guys who played Fenders looked like homos or hippies. Plus Gibsons are beautiful, Fenders look cheap. Doped up street trash playing delinquent rock and roll on a pearly, gold-trimmed, multi-bound, work of art just looks so... blasphemous.

"Initially I wanted to be like my favorite musicians (look' date=' play, and sound) and all but eric clapton played a Gibson Les Paul. "

Huh??????

Looky here:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages/Eric%20Clapton%20Les%20Paul.jpg

I never said clapton didn't play gibsons or at least I didn't mean for it to come out that way. When I started playing guitar in 1975 clapton was all about the stratocaster... I believe his Slow hand album was out around, hmmm '77 I think.

A friend of mine has an 1959 ES 339 or ES 335 not sure which. It was handed down from his father the original owner. Beautiful guitar. He let me play it recently. Logged about 2 hours of time on it.

I was very surprised by two things. 1st the weight; being used to the LP Standard. The ES was very light. The reasons are obvious (hollow), but for some reason (my tiny brain) I had different expectations. The 2nd surprise was the heavy bass tone. Perhaps this is common with hollow bodies. I don't know. That was my only experience with one.

Over all; I wouldn't trade the Standard for anything, but I did enjoy the experience of the classic antique.

Archived