Gibson Brands Forums

SERIAL NUMBER, A DOUBT..

mikrus

Dear friends, I'm new right here! I'm from Italy, and sorry for my English! I've got a question for you all, a doubt concerning my SG serial number. Well, the serial number is 94031277. Checkin' the Gibson website I know that the code is YDDDYRRR, but I really can figure out how 403 could be the day of the year 1991!!! Where did I go wrong?? thank you very much for any reply!!!

Mirko

According to the Guitar Dater Project your guitar was made in 1994. Here is what the info returned when I put the serial number into their system:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

, 1994

Production Number: 031277

You can try the site yourself here: Guitar Dater Project

Hope this helps.

[wink]

According to the Guitar Dater Project your guitar was made in 1994. Here is what the info returned when I put the serial number into their system:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

, 1994

Production Number: 031277

You can try the site yourself here: Guitar Dater Project

Hope this helps.

[wink]

oh thank you so much!! this is really helpfull! ..but I can't understand why it doesn't match with the GIBSON method explained here: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

by the way, thank you very much!!!

No problem, glad to help. I've never actually used the Gibson date system myself, as my 2 SG's are new buys. But I had to use the Guitar Dater for my Fender Tele, so that's how I discovered that site. It's worth bookmarking if you need further dates on guitars.

[thumbup]

I just read this on the Gibson date finder page:

Those beginning with "94":

In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

That would set the date for your guitar to 1994, so all is okay.

[wink]

Archived