Gibson Brands Forums

333 Vs 335

EMEAQUI

Hi everybody..

I am thinking to buy a ES333 ,.., but I am in doubt . For times I've listened the 335 like the most versatile guitar ,.., so the question is, so many sound differences with ES333 ??

Do you think 333 could be versatile as 335?? ,., How it sounds ??? ,., If I put a 57 coils on the 33 ,.., should it sound spectacular???

Is therre anybody with experience that could answer me???

Regards

got both, es 333 is as good as a non-nashville es 335. I changed out the pickups to 57 classics with nickel covers, pickguard. It is cherry, more antique cherry than the memphis bright cherry. Love it. got it for 899$ new with case. most new Gibson es 335 with cases are over 2K.

The 333 really is built to the same quality/specs as a 335, with the major difference being the finish. It also has a back plate like a solid body to make electronics changes a LOT easier. Other than that, they are the same guitar.

There MAY be a big difference in price. 335's are much more money new now than they were, so that seems to effect the used prices of older 335's. The 333 was discontinued before the prices went up, so the used price of a 333 might reflect a MUCH lower price in comparison to the used 335 made at the time.

I have a es 333 that i absolutely love... provides me with everything i hoped to get in a semi hollow body guitar.I purchased a 80's MIJ epiphone sheraton but i got rid of it to fund the 333. the sheraton was a beauty but needed to be refretted. In my opinion the gibson es333 is far superior to the epiphone- better sustain, much more warmth in the tone and way more "ballsy" when cranked up. I purchased the es333 as a mint but used guitar with a antique cherry finish. I added nickel pup covers, a pickgaurd and top hat knobs,,, she looks sweet and i am imagining she will age nicely. hopefully she gets those cool check marks over time but m

I would have loved to purchase a 335 but i couldnt justify the price given my modest abilities. I still am gassing for a 335 but i believe i am being seduced by the glossy polished finish and the fancier headstock. If I think past the glitz factor i know i got everything i need in the es 333. just curious how swapping out the pups for classic 57's will change the tone of the guitar. i assume it will sweeting and maybe mellow out the tone abit.. if this is the case i will consider a swap later on

• 9 months later...

Hi everybody..

I am thinking to buy a ES333 ,.., but I am in doubt . For times I've listened the 335 like the most versatile guitar ,.., so the question is, so many sound differences with ES333 ??

Do you think 333 could be versatile as 335?? ,., How it sounds ??? ,., If I put a 57 coils on the 33 ,.., should it sound spectacular???

Is therre anybody with experience that could answer me???

Regards

I have both a cherry 333 (I think 2002) and a sunburst 335 (from the '80s). I recently bought the 333 because it was in a guitar store used for $900 with a case. It has Lollar Imperials in it, whereas the 335 has the stock Gibson Shaw pickups. The previous owner had the 333 polished and had a 335 pickguard installed. Lacquer polishes up very nicely, and they both have about the same level of gloss. I would be hard-pressed to tell you the practical difference between the two guitars -- they both play and sound amazing. If anything, the sound with the Lollars is clearer and more dynamic -- the neck pickup in particular is to die for, with just the right woody quacky sound. The 333 neck is a medium profile as opposed to the 335's super-thin neck. The access panel makes life simple -- I see no reason not to have it. I love the slightly starker look of the 333 -- the simpler binding and headstock look very dignified. Has a normal tune-o-matic bridge, really nice Gibson Deluxe keystone tuners, tophat knobs with pointers -- what's not to like?

Why the 333 costs about 40% of what a 335 does, I have no clue. It's almost the same thing, and with a few minor mods you can make it essentially identical. Has to be one of the best deals in guitar-dom.

post-44533-098867300 1351979259_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

.......Old post I know, but still quite relevant for anyone accidentally running across a Gibson ES333.

I have both a cherry 333 (I think 2002) and a sunburst 335 (from the '80s). I recently bought the 333 because it was in a guitar store used for $900 with a case. It has Lollar Imperials in it, whereas the 335 has the stock Gibson Shaw pickups....... It's almost the same thing, and with a few minor mods you can make it essentially identical. Has to be one of the best deals in guitar-dom.

I too own both. My '04 ES333 like clamslapper's has the Lollar Imperials whilst my 1999 '59 Reissue ES335 has the 57 Classic p'ups Both are great guitars with outstanding performance. So close, and yet so very little to choose between them. The ES335 may have the slightly fancier finish, whilst the ES333 has the, oh so useable and accessible rear control cover, which is sadly absent from the 335.

Why the 333 costs about 40% of what a 335 does, I have no clue.

This is easy! By the time you add up your gas bills, plus the hours you spent searching for an ES333, you could perhaps have bought two or three 335's. It's easy to see and understand why Gibson stopped making the 333. Economics. Find an ES333, and you could fancy it up with Rolls Royce pickups and a gold plated pickguard and you would still be ahead of the game. The ES335 would not have been the great seller it is and at the price they are, had the ES333s continued to have been made.

Doesn't exactly explain why the 335 is so expensive and the 333s were so cheap, considering they are 90% the same guitar, but it is what it is. Gibson must have realised their error very quickly and stopped making the one that didn't make them the big profit.

Moral of the story? ....... Never turn down the chance to buy a tidy ES333. It's money in the bank!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I have had my 333 for years I think I got it when they first came out. I love but it does sound and play different than a 335 .the neck is smaller pickups are different and it’s heavier. The 335 and 345 play the same but the 345 is stereo  and has a 5 position selection switch along with the toggle. Also my 333 seems to have a flat finger board radius. To me anyway. All great guitars depending on the bank. 

On 11/3/2012 at 5:47 PM, clamslapper said:

Why the 333 costs about 40% of what a 335 does, I have no clue. It's almost the same thing, and with a few minor mods you can make it essentially identical. Has to be one of the best deals in guitar-dom.

post-44533-098867300 1351979259_thumb.jpg

Now Gibson is gonna reissue them and jack up the price 3k, and you'll get a gig bag.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1