Gibson Brands Forums

Value of 71 SG Standard?

Reynolds_wRap

I was wondering what the value of a 1971 Gibson SG standard with replaced tuners and small extra holes drilled into the back of the headstock from where different tuners were installed in the past? Also the body has nicks and dings and the back of the neck is worn from a lot of years of being played. Also the saddle adjust screw from the low e string is bent up slightly causing it to mute the string when the string is fretted at all.

2011-11-26_12-26-27_981.jpg

2011-11-26_12-30-16_867.jpg

So in theory, if you don't fix that E string saddle the guitar is pretty much unplayable...

The price guide says around 2k, not modded.

Yeah I asked on everythingsg just wanted to see what more SG guys had to say. Yeah the guitar is pretty much unplayable I thought it was the bridge leaning at first but upon further inspection its just the saddle screw is bent. So if 2k all original then this guitar should be worth around $1500 at most? It has original pickups and the stuff you can play on it sounds amazing and the guitar has a great feel to it, better than my 61 reissue imho

Just replace the saddle and fix it, it could be something very simple to just bend back. Might wanna get it check out by a tech. Most of the time people who buy Norlins arent looking for vintage guitar to keep but for a good guitar to play and gig with it. I'm sure you can get att least $1900 if you tried, i'm no expert on these guitar prices.

The guitar is at a store and I am looking to purchase it what would be a good price to offer, they told me to make an offer.

Try and figure out if everything is original, like the wiring and pickups. If the pots are correct, they should have a date stamp on them, for instance, 13771xxx, where the 137 is the CTS manufacturer code and the next two digits the year they were made. They may predate the guitar manufacture by a few months or so, but should not be a later year. Not original wiring and pickups, IMO, should cut the value of the guitar by about half. You may want to ask why they think it is a 1971 model. Hard to tell with SG's of that era. Get the serial number and try to piece the year together. If the guitar is 1970 or later, it will be stamped "MADE IN USA" on the back of the peg board right below the serial number, which should be ink-stamped on. There is much more to accurately dating an SG from these years, like the shape of the heel, if it has a step or not, and more. Check the neck for crack repairs - another good percentage chunk off the price. Best case, all original no repairs, maybe $2k +/-. All the way down to $800 or so for not original parts, crack repairs, etc. The bridge repair is trivial, but I see it has nylon saddles. I don't quite recall, but I don't think they used these post '68-'69.

Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat.

I've got a 1970 SG Standard and have gone through all these dating methods. I bought it in 1973, and it was still hard to pin it down to 1970. And because I am an idiot, back in the 70's I swapped out the tuners, took off the lyre vibrola, put on a stop bar, and rewired the controls. I don't remember if I swapped out the pickups. It has T-tops, so they may or may not be originals. The neck has been repaired twice. I suspect mine is worth about $800 or maybe less, but I would not sell it for any price. She will be the first thing mentioned in my will. She is quite beautiful, even with all her flaws, or maybe especially because of them. She is a player. Sounds enormous.

DSC_2859.jpg

The shop that this guitar is at (house of guitars btw) actually says the guitar is a 1970 serial number is 95545 and that dates it from 70-72 They told me around $4000 for it which is definitely a no go for me especially with the condition it is currently in, but I'm gonna see if I can open the control cavity and date the pots, maybe talk them down a bunch, and if they don't bite they always have a black custom shop sg standard with the half guard to get an idea it looks like the black one Angus Young always plays now and they told me $2000 for that.

sggurl.jpg

i never noticed (or likely wasn't paying attention) the harmonica bridge and itty bitty bevels on your Norlin--looks awsome! i luv me some Norlins... on my 2nd Firebrand, a Deluxe this time, and will likely keep it forever. i had a JCM800 1-12 combo also.

• 2 years later...

I just bought one of the "has everything wrong: '71 SG Standards - has a repaired heck break, just below the volute - done long ago and repaired with dowels. Has aftermarket pickups - I just bought a set of 490's to replace them, close enough for now. Has a replaced pick guard and a TOM instead of the Lyre...but it's supposed to be a good player, which is why it called to me...Under $700, and I like the well used guitars naturally well used rather than "reliced"...

Pics and more info when I get it - maybe Tuesday.

Archived