Gibson Brands Forums

my final take on shred

it takes skill, creativity, and dedication to become a "master of the fretboard" weither you play heavy metal, country, soul, pop, you still use the traits i mentioned above, shred is no exception

however, there are only a few guys who excel @ shred,

wylde, rhodes, satriani, and slash are obviously the A listers

tasty,fast,toneful,shredding chops

here are some examples of what i consider to be well played shred guitar

notice the wonderful full tone out of his wah pedal, never agressive-ly treble-y, never muckky muddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCplsXu1HRk

i like how "wide" his vibrato bends are in the begining, with a hint of reverb, before going crazy @ the end, using thoose penetonic minors as fast as he could

obviously i could run off a list of vids, but i think ive made my point

Hey... look at this guys, dont know if you guys have heard about them, they are from brazil, very good players (they are really good at what they play), I have seen them live twice and they are very fast, I have some of their albums but listen to them twice a year at most, which accounts to shredding being cool but tiresome.

In this vid (iron maiden's the number of the beast cover) the bass player actually kicks the sh¡t out of Kiko Loureiro and his 27 fret wonder (why would anyone need a guitar with 27 frets is beyond me)...

some more tiresome shredding... dont get me wrong, I really like this band, but, it sounds prety much the same as the other bands of the genre (the singer being the differnece, this one sings instead of screaming horribly). The problem is, you cant tell when a song is over and other has started... they are all the same.

I still am not entirely clear on what the different genres are. Shred, in my understanding, is playing very fast purely instrumental electric guitar music. Anyway, I've listened to Steve Vai and Ynwie Malmsteen and find their work to be rather fatiguing after about 10 minutes.

I've never considered Slash or Satch shredders...

Technically, I'm wowed by shredders - Michael Angelo is who I think of when it comes to shred. He is awesome and fun to watch playing his 4 neck guitar. I met him once and he really seems like a down to earth guy - not that that matters when it comes to playing. But shredding is technically impressive to me.

Having said all that, to quote from the movie "Amedeaus" there are, "Too many notes..."

On the other hand, one of my favorite guitarists is Al DiMeola - not a shredder, but Jazz Fusion. He is every bit as fast as a shredder and he picks every single note (no hammer-on/pull-offs). When I listen to DiMeola, McLaughlin, and Delucia play I hear more melodies, harmony, point, and counterpoint.... hmmm perhaps it's not the speed, but the pauses that gives it depth and character (that is not say any shredders don't have that - it just means I cannot discern it as easy).

Sometimes, shred music reminds me of this girl I used to date before I was married. She talked a lot, but didn't really say anything... at least not that I could tell.

Archived