Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Quality Conrtol Your turn to have a say

anaconda

I've never had a problem with any of the Gibson guitars I've purchased.

And shopping/looking for Gibson guitars I rarely come across one with a factory defect, but sometimes the variability is a bit wide - mostly on what CB mentioned: fret work and the nuts.

I am smuggling to pick one of the options:

- My first Les Paul - Gibson USA Studio Worn Brown

Only quality control issue was a small section could have benefited from a little more sanding. Apart from that, Perfect

IMG_2912-1.jpg

- My second Les Paul - Gibson USA 08 Standard

Apart from some uneven frets that were picked up during the pro setup, the quality was excellent. Although I felt the frets on the high E side are cut a little short for me, I believe this is the design, not a fault

013.jpg

- And finally my current Les Paul - 2011 Custom Shop 1958 VOS

Perfect in every way

GibsonLesPaul1958VOS006.jpg

Regarding my local shop, they always have positive comments about Gibson. but as they are also trying to sell them to me, thery are not going to be negative!

In summary, I think the Custom Shop versions in the main are outstanding, Gibson USA quality is in general is very good, but there are many bad examples out there.

If you play before you buy, you cant go wrong [thumbup]

My 2011 335 was good except for the fact that somone inexplicbly forgot to mask the binding on the body end of the neck, which is consequently peppered with red stain/lacquer overspray. Not a deal killer for me, but not exactly understandable either. I thought the nut was a little too high, but this is common to almost all new instruments nowadays.

But still releases items that are very expensive yet should have never left the factory, farnsbarns LP was a good example of this. Although after months of digging through red tape and other road blocks it appears his guitar will be replaced.

My traditional goldtop,not custom shop but should never have passed Q C ,I do not mind a two piece body at all, but let someone with 20/20 eyesight match the grain.

I was very disapointed to see such a mis-matched back that it looked like a 6th grade shop class prodject,2 to 3 grand guitar should not look like that,I sent her back for an exchange,we will see...

Don't get me wrong here folks,I love Gibson Guitars and maybe I just had a bad luck here,but for a natural clear finish on the back,a better match of wood should be used,if the back going to be painted then it does not matter. but when you have a beauty of a goldtop and turn it around and it looks like a butcher block cutting board.. no way

I wonder how many complaints gibson gets on this issue? and will they replace one?

My traditional goldtop,not custom shop but should never have passed Q C ,I do not mind a two piece body at all, but let someone with 20/20 eyesight match the grain.

I was very disapointed to see such a mis-matched back that it looked like a 6th grade shop class prodject,2 to 3 grand guitar should not look like that,I sent her back for an exchange,we will see...

Don't get me wrong here folks,I love Gibson Guitars and maybe I just had a bad luck here,but for a natural clear finish on the back,a better match of wood should be used,if the back going to be painted then it does not matter. but when you have a beauty of a goldtop and turn it around and it looks like a butcher block cutting board.. no way

I wonder how many complaints gibson gets on this issue? and will they replace one?

Well It looks like my experience is very rare,everyone has recieved a gem. I hope you all are right,I will find out soon as my replacement comes in,I'am crossing all

my fingers and toes on this one.

I will let everyone know in a few days on what I recieve....

The thing is...IF you can inspect and play the guitar, at a local/area dealer,

you have a much better chance, at finding "The One," than from a mail-order, on-line

dealer, without the "back and forth," returns, etc. In my case, my dealer weeds out

the "flawed" guitars, and returns them to the factories, before they'd ever put them

out, for sale. You can't say that, about some of the larger "big box" dealers, except

"Sweetwater!" They seem to do a better job, of that, than most! Still, finding the

right neck, and the tone, one's looking for, can only be done, consistently, by actually

hearing, and playing the guitar. You can't do that, over the phone, on-line, or by mail!

CB

The thing is...IF you can inspect and play the guitar, at a local/area dealer,

you have a much better chance, at finding "The One," than from a mail-order, on-line

dealer, without the "back and forth," returns, etc. In my case, my dealer weeds out

the "flawed" guitars, and returns them to the factories, before they'd ever put them

out, for sale. You can't say that, about some of the larger "big box" dealers, except

"Sweetwater!" They seem to do a better job, of that, than most! Still, finding the

right neck, and the tone, one's looking for, can only be done, consistently, by actually

hearing, and playing the guitar. You can't do that, over the phone, on-line, or by mail!

CB

Right on the nose CB, I have inspected and played every guitar I own. Going to a dealer ie: Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. I will take an electric into the acoustic room and play it, carefully look it over, even to the point of asking for a polishing cloth to get the sticky fingerprints off and a tuner. The acoustic room is usually better lit than the "big room", quieter, {no kids divebombing on a "Dimebag" model thru an amp set at 11} and more comfortable. {there's real seats in there} Salesmen probably think I'm nuts, but they're not the ones putting the green down. I saved myself alot of hassle doing this, and in one instance over 3 grand, when the salesman's "little bit of glue" by the nut turned to be a cracked headstock on an otherwise beautiful Supreme. Like the old saying goes, "Buyer Beware" TC

I have a 2009 Les Paul Traditional that is awesome. No flaws at all. I also have a Epi Les Paul Standard that I purchased in 2008. Again, no flaws. I recently purchased an Epi Joe Bonamassa signature model. The grooves in the saddles were not even across the bridge so I replaced the bridge. If it had been any other guitar I probably would have returned it. With the new bridge the guitar plays, feels and looks great. No other issues with it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Gibson/Epi guitars. (I added my Epiphones to this response because I saw this same poll on the Epi Forum as well.)

Not doing the poll, the options are daft.

I have two Les Pauls.

A 1990 Standard (finished in the Custom Shop), and

A 2010 Limited.

The first I drove all over Southern U.K. over two years to find and I played some "almost"s and some real duffers (so bad I thought they were fake but they were in Gibson dealerships).

Finally found The One and love it.

Even then I had to have it set up (including re-frets) three times until I was happy with it.

The intonation wasn't good.

The second I ordered unplayed, and expected to have the same problem with it.

But (when it arrived, five months later) it played great, straight out of the box.

Perfectly set up.

Hoping the fret-wire will last a little longer than the first.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Gibbo-Quality.jpg

(I'll let the rest slide)

I did not think that it was "Buyer Beware, because I am a dingbat" on a guitar. If the dealer has not looked at it before selling it, or the consumer then I suppose they should have looked at the guitar, checked it out, or bought from a better dealer that does not send out the message,

"Buyer Beware" especially when the money checks out.

My cs 356 korina is perfect. But for the price I expected it to be. My JoeB studio is very good (an ever so slight rough area where the neck body meet - but that is picking nits). The finish on both guitars are unblemished. I got my guitars from Wildwood sight unseen. My experience with the cs 356 was good so I went with them for the JoeB. I respect the idea of going to a store and finding the one, but my options are limited.

I did not think that it was "Buyer Beware, because I am a dingbat" on a guitar. If the dealer has not looked at it before selling it, or the consumer then I suppose they should have looked at the guitar, checked it out, or bought from a better dealer that does not send out the message,

"Buyer Beware" especially when the money checks out.

the idea of the poll/ quaity control, is for gibson to not let the guitars leave the factory with defts in the first place .and if you have any problems or issues, or not. then if you want to vote in the poll feel free to do so.

why should the dealer/consumer have to do gibsons job. i look at ever guitar before i buy it and thats were i see the issues. then if there are any i dont buy it. i would have it sent back for a replacement.

but i think some are missing the point of the poll. well as for finding anothor dealer well how is that going to help when gibson is the manufacture making and shipping them to the dealers.

but i believe it is buyer beware when dealing with gibson. i have not voted in the poll becuase i would think it to be unfair to vote in your own poll.

I just revieved my first new Gibson, about a month ago. It looked flawless to me. The action might be a bit high for my feel, I'll adjust it in the late spring when the humidity is higher. I have though, seen some new Gibsons with horrible finish flaws in the past ten years or so. For some reason, they've all been Firebirds or Thunderbirds. But I am extremely happy with my latest purchase & I did buy it from an online store.

Archived