Gibson Brands Forums

Solid vs Chambered vs Weight Relieved

Rabs

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a question: if chambered, should it be just one piece on wood on the back though?

Moreover, I have "another" question: I checked a post of a guy who was stating the the initial run 2006/2007 chambered guitars had a different "chambering structure" than the final 2008 released version... Is this a correct info?

Thanks to answer... Is just for my personal understanding.

Hi,

I have a question: if chambered, should it be just one piece on wood on the back though?

Moreover, I have "another" question: I checked a post of a guy who was stating the the initial run 2006/2007 chambered guitars had a different "chambering structure" than the final 2008 released version... Is this a correct info?

I'm not sure I can answer your question fully, but may be able to shed some light. I have a 2004 custom order one-off Zebrawood Les Paul that is based on a Standard but is chambered. The body is a single piece of wood. I've been told that the chambering on mine is less extensive than on the chambered reissues which are really hollowed out like the Johnny A model. I also have a 1997 Les Paul Elegant. Back then they called chambering dynamic sound chambers and this is less chambered than my 2004. It also has a one-piece body. So my take is that the custom shop started tinkering with chambering in the 90's and it was probably an evolution until they finalized in 2008. The chambered reissue website has a good history and pics:

http://www.chambered-reissue.org/history.htm

Hi,

Chambering and weight relief have nothing to do with a one piece back.. not many come with one piece back, usually more like three pieces (and can be five) but they are usually matched really well and its sometimes hard to even see the joint. The best way to look is look at the end of the guitar on the side. You will more easily see the join where the strap button is positioned...

Some Les Pauls are one piece backs though depending on model like the Paul Kossoff model where it actually states in the description that they will all be one piece backs.

And yes there is a spoke type of chambering that Gibson are now using on the new Standards and have been using for some time on some customs I think. Most guitars pre 2012 will have the old style chambering though..

However I have a chambered and weight relieved guitar and both sound great.

So at the end of the day really you cant judge a guitar on what the process is used but how each individual guitar sounds as even models that are produced on the same line can sound slightly different.

this vid shows some of the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcx4fprpWSA

Hi,

Further more.. this is what they look like in an x-ray (not seen one of the new process yet)

1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

Chambering and weight relief have nothing to do with a one piece back.. not many come with one piece back, usually more like three pieces (and can be five) but they are usually matched really well and its sometimes hard to even see the joint. The best way to look is look at the end of the guitar on the side. You will more easily see the join where the strap button is positioned...

Some Les Pauls are one piece backs though depending on model like the Paul Kossoff model where it actually states in the description that they will all be one piece backs.

And yes there is a spoke type of chambering that Gibson are now using on the new Standards and have been using for some time on some customs I think. Most guitars pre 2012 will have the old style chambering though..

However I have a chambered and weight relieved guitar and both sound great.

So at the end of the day really you cant judge a guitar on what the process is used but how each individual guitar sounds as even models that are produced on the same line sound slightly different.

this vid shows some of the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcx4fprpWSA

Yes.............and just to clarify further that when you say "back," as it's commonly called on a LP, you mean body without the cap (which is about and inch and a half thick of mahogany in itself.) A "back" in the true sense of the word would apply more to an archtop which will have a back and then added sides shaped by heat to match the shape. Right?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a personal choice. I never would have purchased a LP because of the weight. I was buying Gretsch G6120's and i have some vintage SG's. Since the LP is chambered and a great deal lighter I now have 3 of them. I love the the guitar and they feel and sound just the way I like. I own many guitars but the LP is a Rock legend. I already know what number 4 is going to be, I have to have one solid body LP. Hey, it's my bucket list. Next thing I'm gonna find Bigfoot.

It's a personal choice. I never would have purchased a LP because of the weight. I was buying Gretsch G6120's and i have some vintage SG's. Since the LP is chambered and a great deal lighter I now have 3 of them. I love the the guitar and they feel and sound just the way I like. I own many guitars but the LP is a Rock legend. I already know what number 4 is going to be, I have to have one solid body LP. Hey, it's my bucket list. Next thing I'm gonna find Bigfoot.

Not that id want to pay that much but according to the specs the new Paul Kossoff LPs are solid bodies

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Paul-Kossoff-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

"Like great 'Bursts of the late '50s, it has an elegantly figured two-piece carved maple top married to a solid, one-piece, lightweight mahogany body." now the fact it says lightweight kind of contradicts itself.. so who knows :P

I have a chambered and a weight relieved. I did this comparison playing the same lick on each a while ago and most people got it right. There is a definite difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSD0SPZVtk&feature=BFa&list=UUr6ja1CYZas0Z3dOt0rIf9A&lf=plcp

I think the only fair comparison is with two guitars with the very same pick ups configuration. Is it the cas here ?

Thanks !

Can I suggest a Traditional or the new Standard. Also, the Classic Plus is great and not too expensive. [thumbup]

I think the only fair comparison is with two guitars with the very same pick ups configuration. Is it the cas here ?

Thanks !

Im not sure the point is that they sound slightly different.. sometimes two guitars of the same model and make can sound slightly different due to the way they are set up (pickup height and intonation etc)..

Can a person really say one is better than the other or just that they may prefer the sound of one to the other in which case its not the chambering/weight relief/solid body that makes the difference, just if you like the sound of an individual guitar which is why its always best when looking to try as many as possible.

I was going to get a honeyburst when i bought my 60s Tribute but decided to try a few.. After trying about six of them in different colours I tried a Goldtop version which I hadnt even really thought about and straight away I was hooked... And these were all guitars from the same run, the Goldtop just had something that the others didnt and I cant even really explain it. Like you get some new cars that break down in a few months and some that live forever, its just one of those things. And guitars by their nature are all different as the section of wood and the desnsity of each indivisual piece can make a difference in sound and the fact that each guitar is hand finished also makes each one unique (even if every so slightly).

my 30th Ann. Plaintop built in 8/88 is 14.1 lbs. and has a 1 pc body.

everyone that handles it says they've never felt one heavier.

i've recently built a guitar that's in direct conflict w/what I THOUGHT I knew about wood/wt/sustain/ring-out.

i scored a "budget" quilt-tele body, poly covered 3 pc paulowana(sp?) with 1/4" quilt top, weighs about 2.5 lbs.....put a Tele-slim rock maple neck on it(had to "tap" neck into pocket [thumbup] ) and ended up w/a final wt of just over 7 lbs.

This guitar rings out & sustains better than anything I own!!!

i'm really scratching m'head now, because i've not only found THIS anomaly, but also my Mexi-Strat rings & sustains better than my American Deluxe :unsure: ......

in general my "budget" guitars (epis/agiles/non US Fenders/home builds) sound as good as my "big-namers".

I've posted a pair of clips with my R9 and my R0 back to back. Both are absolutely identical spec-wise and yet they sound very different.

There's obviously something else going on to create 'the tone' than just electronics.

P.

Archived