Gibson Brands Forums

Another idea for a new acoustic.

brundaddy

How about making a few f-hole archtops again? (Obviously, with no pickups) Even just a limited run for sheets & giggles. This summer I saw one in black, pre-WW2... I still regret not robbing a liquor store & buying it that day.

Am I the only one who digs archtops in a land of flattops?

How about making a few f-hole archtops again? (Obviously' date=' with no pickups) Even just a limited run for sheets & giggles. This summer I saw one in black, pre-WW2... I still regret not robbing a liquor store & buying it that day.

Am I the only one who digs archtops in a land of flattops?[/quote']

I too dig'em. Theyre scarcer'n hen's teeth, though. They used to show up on Gibson's custom built page... Don't know if they still do.

I was at a Luncheon a while back where a jazz trio was playing. The guitar player had a '36 Epiphone archtop. Beautiful, in a lived-in kind of way. "What you gotta have to play swing music!" he said. I couldn't argue with that.

If you want a really fun and affordable acoustic archtop, try your local shops for a Godin 5th Avenue. Indeed, these are nowhere near the guitar Gibson might produce, but at sub-$500 prices you can have five or seven instead of one. I bought one and am having a great deal of fun with it.

Archived