Gibson Brands Forums

Trade-in time? Replace Strat with SG?

RudyH

I hesitate to post this question after the huge and passionate response I got from my Strat vs. LP question. The context of the questions is that my son has a fat strat but he always uses it with the humbucker.

It seems like an SG or LP would be a better fit for him. The SG is more in line with his budget.

Can you tell me a little about the SG and how it compares to the Strat and the LP?

His application is "classic rock".

(By the way, we will try them out, we just need a little background info from people who know about them already. It gives us some things to look for when we try them.)

My take on the SG is that it is the logical development of the LP.

I moved from LP to SG and don't like it much when I go back now.

But that's just my feel - there are those who live and die by the LP.

No words will help - try them and see, its the only way.....

Personally I love the look of the SG, but everytime I pick one up, it just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure what it is, but I can never play an SG for more than like 15 mins without just thinking I'd rather be playing something else. LP's are great for classic rock, but so are strats. I would get the LP Studio Faded. It will be $900 or less new.

To me, SGs tend to be lighter weight than a LP, but carry that same humbucker tone. It is thinner, and should be more comfortable to play than a Les Paul would be, given that his Strat is contoured to fit his body. Sound wise, his pickups will seem to be much hotter in an SG than the Strat, and he will likely hear more low end than on his Strat as well. This might be the big issue, if he is really fond of the brightness his Strat can provide, but from what you are saying about his relying primarily on the humbucker, that does not seem likely.

Overall, I would say that an SG is a nice choice if you are wanting to introduce him to Gibson tone, coming from a Strat.

Hope this helps!

I think that an SG would bridge the gap between a Strat and LP rather nicely. SG still has that awesome humbucker tone but is lighter and more similar to a Strat in body shape (access to upper frets, etc.) SGs also tend to have a slightly thinner tone than LPs due to the fact that they are solid mahogany and have no maple top. (hence the name "SG" which stands for "Solid Guitar.") For classic rock, SGs are great guitars. They won't capture the awesome raw power of Jimmy Page or Slash, or the thin electric-blues sounds of Hendrix or SRV, but provide a good middle ground for both genres. I would recommend a 61 RI- they're just great. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy...

My walnut '79 "The SG" isn't thinner sounding than a Les Paul. With the stock "velvet brick" ceremics it is almost too hot. And that walnut sustains like nothing I've ever seen.

I like SG's a lot.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I don't think that anyone can really answer this question for another player. They're both great guitars, but it all comes down to personal preference.

However, I've never met a Strat that I really liked and I really , REALLY, wanted to. I've owned three Strats over the years, mostly because I thought I should, but I just don't like 'em.

SGs are okay, I guess... I don't know... Maybe if you feed it right and make it exercise, it'll turn into a Les Paul.

I have never played a Strat... It has never attracted me. So I can't comment much on that aside from I know they are great guitars. I can tell you that the SG is very easy to play. The neck has great upper register access! I have a 71 SG and the neck is extremely thin so its very easy to wrap your hand around. The newer SG's necks are more like a Les Paul, still very comfortable and again with that great upper register access.... The SGs are not as expensive as a Les Pauls are either, unless you are looking at a VOS (Vintage Original Specs) or a signature model.

2 cents...

2 words: Flying V. get him a used one from a decade or two ago, theyre relatively cheap and the pickups on 'em are raw (the 500T and 496R are way hotter than EMG 81's and 85's). i bought my black 91' V standard in 1999 and it is still the most comfortable and best sounding guitar i've ever played. can't go wrong with a gibby v.

Again the same major difference is scale and radius SG/LP 24.5" / 12" and no whammy / tremolo vs Strat 25.75" / 9" (If he uses the whammy, you may want to take a look at Ibanez). Both using humbuckers the SG will have a darker tone than a strat based on the woods ( given that the pickups are the same ). The body balance of a SG is different than an LP, most SG's are neck heavy where LP's are body heavy or it's really the SG body is lighter than a LP body, LP is balanced more like a strat. SG & LP can have basically the same necks but the joint with body is very different with the SG having a smaller heal and great upper fret access, the heal is of a LP is more like a strat thick. There are also so many models of all 3 tring to compare them can be a task. Hope he finds what he's looking for.

Archived