Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Silverburst Production Numbers?

Tim Plains

Just out of curiosity, any idea how many of these thing are/were made? I've developed an obsession with this axe and would like to know some numbers, if possible.

I've heard conflicting stories and Gibson didn't have an answer for me when I called them.

I'm sure it's all BS, but so far I've heard:

1. Originally made around 1980 and then reissued in 2007 only because Adam Jones (Tool) plays them and has created a demand. Under 200 made.

2. Gibson produces 100 silverbursts once every 3 years and are only sold in N. America.

3. Gibson produces 250 silverbursts once every 5 years and are only sold in N. America.

Number 1 may have some merit because I have heard that silverbursts were practically non-existent until recent...but if this was true I'm sure Gibson would have slapped Jones' name on the guitar and charged double the price for it. "The Adam Jones Signature Les Paul."

Any info would be appreciated.

Gibson now runs the silverburst whenever a dealer asks for a batch. They were doing them when they were still doing one offs for customers too. The 'Darkness' LP Custom was also in siverburst with a flame inlay up the neck (I had one for a few days to try out). They do not release production numbers, and the 'sold in N. America' is probably BS too. I suspect that there are several hundred if not a few thousand of them around by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link for you :

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1742101

I've seen on eBay as far back as '78 ~ '84.

I have picture of an '88 with EMGs a limited Showcase edition run of 200, it

has black hardware and trapazoid inlays, all stock.

Then in 2003 they reissued, probably because of Adam Jones,

I know he owns a few.

In 2007 they claimed they were doing a run 400, but I don't think that many were

made from the custom shop.

Seems like there's many of the Guitar Center exclusive.

Archived