Gibson Brands Forums

Short scale J-200?

GottaBeGibson

Gibson has made the Hummingbird in both 25 1/2" and 24 3/4" scales, and they've also done this with the Advanced Jumbo (short scale versions are special/limited editions), J-185 (the long scale was technically a J-200 Jr.), and Blues King. Anyone ever see a short scale J-200? It's the long scale that's always made me steer clear of them, and the "what would your sig model be?" thread got me thinking about what a version of the Townshend sig J-200 with a short scale neck would be like.

There are a few 12 fret J-200s around which is essentially a short-scale.

These are 25.5" (i.e., long) scale, just like the standard ones: check the specs at the link you included.

-- Bob R

These are 25.5" (i.e.' date=' long) scale, just like the standard ones: check the specs at the link you included.

-- Bob R[/quote']

I think their spec may be off. Since it is a 12 fret, the scale should be shorter.

I'm sure someone at Fuller's could clarify with a phone call.

I think their spec may be off. Since it is a 12 fret' date=' the scale should be shorter.

I'm sure some one at Fuller's could clarify with a phone call.[/quote']

The two 12fret guitars that I own are 25.5 scale length .12fret guitar to neck joint as I understand it is not indicative of a short scale model type

The two 12fret guitars that I own are 25.5 scale length .12fret guitar to neck joint as I understand it is not indicative of a short scale model type

+1 -- where the neck joins the body and scale length are effectively independent variables. In fact, the main point of a 12-fret is to move the bridge back to (or at least toward) the center of the lower bout -- that's why 12-frets have a distinctive tone -- and going to a short scale works against that. A short-scale 12-fretter really only makes sense if the body is smallish, as on the early 12-fret L-00s.

-- Bob R

Archived