Gibson Brands Forums

Blues

littlekenny

all the greats

I agree totally.

If you go back to the recordings from the '30s' date=' '40s and '50s you will hear fantastic songs played by seminal guitarists who, for the most part, were self taught and, frequently, not that knowledgeable about music theory. Therefore, although some of the guys still scare me stiff by their peerless playing - Robert Johnson especially - a lot of it is really very simple yet powerful. By the time you've added 'your own mark' to it (i.e. got it slightly wrong) your on your way.....

Also check out cuts by non-guitarists [i']and adapt them for the guitar[/i] - That is fun!

In the UK, and probably everywhere else, it's possible to get fantastic 'taster' CD collections for almost no money which will have, typically, 4 CD's crammed with stuff by Tampa Red; Big Bill Broonzy (a very strong influence on the young Eric Clapton); Leadbelly; Big Joe Williams; Sonny Boy Williamson etc., etc.,

Take all the ingredients, mix together for a while, and serve whilst still hot.

Good luck.

If you want to hear some cool different blues check out Junior Kimbrough, R.L. Burnside and Model T Ford. Different as in mississippi delta drone blues. They use alot of open tunings and slide. Great way to find a "new" blues sound since many people aren't doing this kind of stuff. Great learning experience too. The black keys copped them and it works.

Good artists for relatively easy blues:

Anything from the 30s-50s

Stones ("Brown Sugar" is a great one)

SRV

Hendrix

Clapton

B.B. King

A great way to learn blues solo-ing is to download a whole bunch of blues onto your iPod (or whatever you use) doesn't matter what it is. Plug it into the stereo, stick it on shuffle, and just solo away to your heart's content. It won't take you too long to figure things out.

Archived