Gibson Brands Forums

Coverting a Melody Makers 491T

antonio_kill

Hey all. I'm a proud owner of a 2005 Les Paul Std and a brand new 2011 Les Paul Melody Maker. Anyways I was just thinking of putting a cover on the pickup. Does anyone have any experience with putting a cover on one of the new 2011 Melody Makers? It just doesn't seem like there is enough room in the hole cut out in the pickguard. Also it's a ceramic 491t would it have to be wax potted? Thanks in advance!

You probably mean the 498T?

It's not that difficult, because you only need to solder a bridge pickup cover to it. Shouldn't be too hard.

No bud! The Gibson website says it's a 491t ceramic. I know installing a pickup cover is easy but I've heard some pickups need to be wax potted and also the pickguard it's installed on is extremely tight I don't know if there is enough clearance for the extra size around the pickup the cover will add.

I've had only mixed luck with putting pickup covers on, most recently I added them to a faded SG Special with no problems at all, they seemed to almost snap right on, so I tried to put them on my other SG Special (a poor man's Angus clone, all black with a Maestro is what I was going for) and while the neck pickup cover worked fine the bridge pickup was so heavily potted I couldn't get it to fit at all. (I ended up going with a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF instead.) Another problem to consider is that it seems to make some pickups microphonic, which is what happened when I tried putting a chrome cover on a Seymour Duncan Custom V in my black LP Studio, the feedback was so harsh I abandoned the idea.

Archived