Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Learn & Master

#1 User is offline   Ronnie Dean 

• Group: Members
  • LocationN. Georgia

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

Looking to pick up Gibson's Learn & Master guitar series. Has anyone had a chance to check this out or anyone using it now > Am very interested in picking it up but just looking for some feedback. Thanx

#2 User is offline   PaulRwebster 

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yes, I have been using it for 6 months. It is an excellent course and goes beyond the usual tabs and chords approach, it trains you in the fundamentals such as notes and scales. There is a forum that you can look at found here: http://community.lea...-master-guitar/

#3 User is offline   Ronnie Dean 

• LocationN. Georgia

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Great Paul thanx ! I will check it out plus I am going to jump on this coarse as well.

#4 User is offline   fretset 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I've been using Learn and Master for over a year, not as consistently as I'd like - sort of start and stop - but it's been my main source and the framework that I follow. If you want a 'fast track' type of guitar method that starts you off learning chords and playing by TAB than this is not the course for you. If you're the type, like myself, that has the desire to learn more than where to place your fingers and would prefer a more comprehensive learning experience (learning: musical notation, single note playing, chords, fretboard knowledge, scale building, etc., etc....) AND had only one course to pick, than this would be an excellent choice. That's not to say this is the only method. It's not. What this course offers is a time tested framework, from an experienced teacher, with lots of materials. It's this last point, "lots of materials", that needs added attention here and what separates it from the rest. First, there are the dvd's. I don't use them that often, but find them invaluable when I do. Like when I'm struggling with the timing of notation or certain techniques. In cases like this a picture is worth a 1000 words. There's just no substitute for seeing or actually hearing something - that's what you'd get with an 'in person' lesson and what you can mostly replicate with the dvd's if needed. Second, there' a considerable amount of bonus material - another whole books worth - that you can access via pdf from the website. There are extra exercises, songs, advice; lot's of valuable stuff. Third, the jam along cd's. I don't really use them much, but I'm sure there's very real value in the timing needed to play along and the feeling of being a part of real music making - I really need to try that more. Fourth, is the discussion forum. At those times when your questions aren't answered in the dvd's, there's the discussion forum. Besides finding support and encouragement, there are those that will gladly answer your questions - including Steve Krenz himself (the Learn and Master instructor). Lastly, and what I find increasingly impressive, is the ongoing development of material as found in the Skills House here on Gibson. I mean really, he/they could've stopped long ago and just the left the program as is. But they keep increasing the value of the program. Kudos all around.

All in all, for one stop shopping and the price-paid this program provides great value. Currently I'm on chapter 8 and just grinding away. Ultimately that's what learning an instrument takes.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I think of it as a framework. At times there are chapters/topics that really need almost a whole book to properly address, so you have to appreciate that there are limitations to the course or any course. Otherwise there'd be 40 dvd's, a 1000 page book, and a very overwhelmed student. Fingerstyle is a course in itself; a more in-depth explanation/understanding of the fretboard might be found in Barrett Tagliarino's "Fretboard Workbook"; blues...jazz, people spend their entire careers trying to get a handle on them. So don't expect to make Clapton your warm-up act. Follow the course, treat it as a framework, supplement/complement when necessary and keep grinding.

#5 Guest_lphin1983_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Thanks

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Ronnie Dean 

• LocationN. Georgia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanx for the explanation fretset.I believe I'm sold.

#7 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostRonnie Dean, on 17 February 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Thanx for the explanation fretset.I believe I'm sold.

You should be. I just found this thread. I've been using the course for a bit over a year (off and on), and it's really good. Got me back into playing after pretty much laying off for 30 years. I sometimes stop it for weeks and months just to enjoy playing at a specific level, but I always go back looking to learn new things and get better. The exercises are great, and are generally laid out from simple to more complex in a way that neither bores nor discourages you.

Steve is a great teacher. Highly recommended.

#8 User is offline   matonanjin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Don't know that I need to add anything because what fretset and j45nick is so true. But I will. There are people on the L&M forum (that PaulRwebster referred to) that have been using the the course one or two years it is that comprehensive. There are 20 DVD's in the course and session 4 alone takes weeks or months, depending upon your time commitment. Again, it is that comprehensive.

Whatever you do, if you haven't ordered yet, be sure and order the course with the Bonus materials. It ads a LOT for not much more cost. (I'm really not sure if you can order without the bonus materials any more.) But if so, do it.

BTW, j45nick, I am also getting back to it after not playing since the 60's!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster American Standard
Yamaha Pacifica
Fender Blues Junior

#9 User is offline   Chriswmaine 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have the course but recovering from a hand injury. Will be starting it soon. Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't played in 6 years. I plan to start over from scratch with this course. I even bought a Studio Gibson! (2 years ago)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users