Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a noticeable difference between Studio and Standard/traditional?

AJ B.

By a basis on sound and tone, do Studio/faded models have any noticeable differences between and Traditional/Standard models? If they had the same pickup combination of course. If there are any differences, what would they be?

By a basis on sound and tone, do Studio/faded models have any noticeable differences between and Traditional/Standard models? If they had the same pickup combination of course. If there are any differences, what would they be?

Assuming both have similiar fittings, neck & a Gloss finish their should be no difference at all.

Your pay the extra for Binding, Pearl fret markers and AAA maple caps. Plus possibly locking parts...

however with todays selection. there will be a difference if the les paul traditional/standard is non chambered. all new Studios are chambered. if you were to ask about a solid LP standard and a solid LP studio then no difference would be aesthetics only.

If you're used to a non chambered Les Paul, then prepare for a bit of a shock when you play a studio. I had a studio for a few months and couldn't quite bond with it. I kept going back to my Standard. They're great guitars, but the body just never felt right to me. I'm not a big fan of the pickups they put in the Studios either. I prefer the burstbuckers and 57 reissues.

Studios are great guitars, but they just aren't for me. I eventually traded mine straight up for an sg special. Even though the special is a cheaper instrument, I loved it and had no regrets.

Unfortunately, the special had to go due to my finances getting a little poor.

Studio Deluxes that are exclusives thru Guitar Center are weight relieved with BB Pro in the bridge and a 490r in the neck.Mostly the difference between that and a Traditional is bling and a slightly thicker cap in the Traditional.

I think the key difference is the quality of the components and finishing extras like binding.

- Better wood

- Better Electronics

- Better hardware

- The Traditional is weight reveled and the Studio and Standard are Chambered - I think this is simply preference, opposed to one being better

- I also believe the Studio`s are a bit slimmer, but again, I think this would have minimal impact on Tone

- The Studio Faded was all Mahogany, but I think they now have Maple tops

- The 08 Standard has a unique Neck profile (Blend of the fat 50¬s and thin 60`s) - Not necessarily better, but diferentt

For me. this all adds up better feel and a slightly better tone.

Is it worth the extra? That is very subjective. Studio`s like the Faded represent such good value and have a great Les Paul tone.

I started out with a Studio, then moved on to a 08 Standard and now I have a Custom Shop R8. As I have the budget, the step up each time has been worth it for me, but I don't think you could say a Standard is twice the guitar of a Studio, or the R8 if 50% better than the Standard, which is about the price differences between them.

Like many things, when you are looking at high end equipment, you have to pay a lot of extra cash for a little high spec.

As most will tell you, go and play some and make up your own mind which is best for you. All the above is just detail, the important bit is getting something the sounds and feels right.

First I'd just mention that each individual instrument will have it's own tonal 'palette'. Examples of the same model can, and do, sound subtly different from one another. Having said that;

IMHO, once amplified it would be almost impossible for anyone in a 'blind' test to tell the difference between the guitars as you describe them - especially if they are played in isolation from each other.

Once the instrument is used a 'band' situation I'd drop the 'almost'.

The biggest difference between the models ('Bling' apart) is in their overall body-mass.

The 'chambered' examples of both the Studio and the Standard can vary greatly in weight. Some are very light (about 7lb) yet others can weigh almost as much as the weight-relieved Traditionals; i.e. around the 9lb mark.

Typically, the heavier examples of all models will tend to have a bit more sustain whereas the lighter examples will have a bit more 'brightness' in their fundamental tone.

P.

I have a Studio, and a Trad+

I can tell you that the maple cap on the studio isn't as thick as the Trad+, by maybe 1/8 inch in difference. Also, when I put them side by side, you can plainly see that the Trad+ is thicker in body size.

The thinner cap is also true for my 85 Norlin LP.

Chambered, weight relieved or whatever, they all sound good to me, different, sure, but all still have the LP mojo, but after a couple of sets, that chambered LP sure is a relief from the weight of the Trad+

I think the key difference is the quality of the components .

- Better wood

- Better Electronics

- Better hardware

Can you really say this?

This is the standard argument that everyone gives on the Epiphone line vs Gibson line..

I think a Buckburst pro is a buckburst pro,

Maybe CS can jump in here but I doubt that Gibson USA would use better electronics on a Standard Vs a Studio

(now a custom shop model, I think I'd have to agree)

I have a Studio, and a Trad+

I can tell you that the maple cap on the studio isn't as thick as the Trad+, by maybe 1/8 inch in difference.

I think when I had my pickups out I measured the thickness of my maple cap at around 1 1/4" thick..

What's the thickness of a standard/traditional?

I think when I had my pickups out I measured the thickness of my maple cap at around 1 1/4" thick..

What's the thickness of a standard/traditional?

With the greatest respect, Eracer_Team, are you sure? Perhaps you aren't remembering quite accurately.

Then again, Which model do you have? I'm no expert on all the models' variations by a long way!

I've just checked my R9 and it's 'only' 11/16" at the rear of the bridge cavity, and the whole p-up cavity is only 1" deep in total...

:-k

P.

With the greatest respect, Eracer_Team, are you sure? Perhaps you aren't remembering quite accurately.

Then again, Which model do you have? I'm no expert on all the models' variations by a long way!

I've just checked my R9 and it's 'only' 11/16" at the rear of the bridge cavity, and the whole p-up cavity is only 1" deep in total...

:-k

P.

good point.. let me check tonight and I'll update this note.. :)

Pip's right.. I'm wrong.

But that's ok.. I needed to make sure anyways..

so .. its

its

its

18mm or 23/32" or 11/16" or 0.708661 inches thick.

Cool my studio cap is the same thickness as Pippy's R9..

But hey..I still think the flame is cool for a studio .. see avatar.

(BTW Pippy.. 2001 desert burst studio weighs in at 9.00lbs flat; soon to have the RS pot's with Luxe Bee's installed and whether I need them or not on the list for new Seymour Duncan Bonamassa PAF's that will be quite a bit lower power than the 490/498's but maybe they'll sound real good)

Pickups are pickups on the gibsons no differences between a traditional 57 and a studio 57.

As for the electronics they are the same, IMO both crap! unless you have an R7-8-9 etc but thats what you pay the extra for [tongue]

+1 on the comments about woods, hardware and electronics. A USA production is a USA production. The custom shop is a different matter, of course. Pickups are personal choice and studios in their various special editions come with a range of different ones so take your pick.

As for the body, the difference between Studio and Standard/Trad is mainly in the curve of the cap. LPs are like violins. The Studio has a slightly flatter cap. The slightly thinner overall body of the studio also affects the neck join. If you compare the two guitars you'll see that a studio has a slightly smaller heel.

God I love these thread, from cork sniffers to the confused to those who actually have some knowledge. To the OP when the studio models were released they were originally designed to have the tone and the playability of a Standard without the BLING. This is still true today with the original Studio models, now the fade is a Studio without the nice finish. Finally the Standard is a Studio with BLING.

Finally one truth underlying this thread, if possible play those guitars before you purchase them. Unless your doing a beauty contest with the guitar, dont get wrapped up in the BLING; let your ears be the final deciding factor. My ears tell me the best bang for the buck right now is the new Classic Series LP's, either the Classic Plus or the Classic Custom. Very nice sounding guitars, good looking and for the BLING wanters; they even have BLING.

I stand corrected !

I thought Gibson sort the wood in to different categories (grain, weight etc) and allocate the stock to LP models. I thought that this was talked about on one of the Gibson video factory tours. But I could be wrong.

Regarding the electronics, I thought the Bourn Pots are of a high standard them the ones in an average Studio.

And to me, the locking Tuners, Bridge etc I had on my 08 Standard are an upgrade to what I had on my Studio.

When I played Studio`s and Standards in my local Shop, I always felt the Standard was a little better, but my mind could be tricking me. Never tried a blind test, so cant be sure.

And when it comes to my R8, although its solid, its also lighter than my old chambered Standard. I love the Pickups but think the the Volume Pots on my old 08 Standard were better (smother transition from high to low). But the tone from my R8 still blows me away.

I don`t think my opinion is based on Cork Sniffing thoughts, but as i have never tried a blind test, you could be right.

The best advise as always, is play as many as you can and buy the one you can`t put down. Preferably with a blind fold :lol:

All the best

I stand corrected !

I thought Gibson sort the wood in to different categories (grain, weight etc) and allocate the stock to LP models. I thought that this was talked about on one of the Gibson video factory tours. But I could be wrong.

Regarding the electronics, I thought the Bourn Pots are of a high standard them the ones in an average Studio.

And to me, the locking Tuners, Bridge etc I had on my 08 Standard are an upgrade to what I had on my Studio.

When I played Studio`s and Standards in my local Shop, I always felt the Standard was a little better, but my mind could be tricking me. Never tried a blind test, so cant be sure.

And when it comes to my R8, although its solid, its also lighter than my old chambered Standard. I love the Pickups but think the the Volume Pots on my old 08 Standard were better (smother transition from high to low). But the tone from my R8 still blows me away.

I don`t think my opinion is based on Cork Sniffing thoughts, but as i have never tried a blind test, you could be right.

The best advise as always, is play as many as you can and buy the one you can`t put down. Preferably with a blind fold :lol:

All the best

They definitely sort the wood according to weight for the Reissue models, but I don't believe that they do that within the USA line.

I believe the USA line electronics (pots and caps) are the same as well, which I believe would mean the PCB mounted unless that has changed. The different Studio lines, use the same pups as on higher end guitars; the regular Studio uses the 490R and 498T combination, found on the Les Paul Custom.

The hardware on the 2008 Les Paul Standard or even the Traditional that has TonePros tuners, that includes the locking jack and tuners etc, does have different hardware to the Studio.

I also think the current Standards are chambered, the only USA line Les Paul that is weight-relieved and not Chambered is the Les Paul Traditional.

I stand corrected !

If you mean allocate to the more expensive production models, I've heard comments like that from Gibson too. I personally think Gibson would like us to keep the impression that their wood selections are better for their top end production guits (to justify the massive price hike) but I've never come across any objective evidence to prove that that's the case. You can get a butcher block with a Standard or a Studio- not that a butcher block gives any less tone than a one or two piece. There's no evidence of that either.

Incidentally, both of my 'low end', faded Gibbies happen to have two piece bodies. Perhaps they should have used those pieces of wood to make standards. [biggrin]

Anyway, here's one of my substandard lumps of wood. Beautiful, isn't it!

DSC02551.jpg

I compared a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio back to back with an 2008 Standard through a Vox AC30 and the sound difference was so minimal I'm not sure if it was because one set of strings were older than the other. To my ears if you're not going for the binding and other fancy appointments then get a Studio.

I stand corrected !

All the best

Bourne pots were part of the new PCB circuit board installed on the 08 standard they were not installed on the older standards or studio's unless maybe a special edition. the 08 standard was designed to be different but thats another big debate.

your R8 may well have been a CR8 (chambered Reissue 1958) I played one at a gibson show an it was the only chambered guitar I ever loved.

thing is with so many different variations today with chambering PCB circuits tone pro's hardware asymetrical necks etc its the most confusing time for anyone to pick their first Gibson or even their 2nd.

before all this it was simple - Studio - Standard - Custom

during this period all that set the studio and the standard apart was only ever the bling. Custom was a different breed altogether.

tonewood selection would favour the custom shop

your R8 may well have been a CR8 (chambered Reissue 1958) I played one at a gibson show an it was the only chambered guitar I ever loved.

Its not, but I know many love the CR8.

If and when one turns up in my local store, will give it a go.

These are my LPs

Stunning guitars, Yaff. You're certainly qualified to comment on the differences. There's no doubt that bling is beautiful (love that pic. of your Standard.) So how do you find the three compare for quality of woods/components/craftsmanship and sound?

Stunning guitars, Yaff. You're certainly qualified to comment on the differences. There's no doubt that bling is beautiful (love that pic. of your Standard.) So how do you find the three compare for quality of woods/components/craftsmanship and sound?

Its very difficult to compare the Studio, as:

- No maple top, so you get a slightly darker tone.

- The Neck feels just right, but again, with no binding of gloss finish, its very diferentt.

- And the top is nice and natural, opposed to Burst on the other two

With distortion, I felt the bridge pickup is great, but in most situations the neck pickup was too muddy. But when clean and picking individual strings, the neck pickup delivers some fantastic tone.

The tone coming out of the Standard is brighter, making it more versatile. The sustain also improved, not that I felt it was an issue on the Studio. I loved the feel of the binding on the neck, but found the way Gibson cut the frets short, I had less room to play with and the high E often slipped of the fret end.

The Standard is also much heavier than the Studio (6.5LB v 9.00LB), which feels better to me. And the Burst finish was perfect.

Components such as the locking tuners, bridge etc are also a nice touch. The position of the bridge on the Studio was a fraction forward, so to get the correct intonation and avoid string contact on the back of the bridge, I had to keep the tailpiece 10 mill or so off the body. On the Standard, the position was perfect, so it was all the way down.

I manged to get the action low on both, however, during the pro setup, to my surprise there was a lot of fret dressing required on the Standard.

And now the R8!

The bit I fell in love with was the feel. The neck was amazing! Loved the finish and the sustain appeared to be endless.

Apart from the high E issue on the Standard, I thought the Standard neck profile was a good fit for m,e. But when I felt the R8, I know instantly this was the one for me.

Although I liked the tone I was getting out of the R8 in the shop, it was only when I got her home, set her up and played her through my Marshall VM that I discovered how exceptional the tone is. The sustain was so strong I actually had to change my playing style with some songs.

As it weighs in at 8.12LB, I would say it has better wood (if lighter is better) than the 08 Standard. The only element that I am disappointed with is the Volume pots. The Pots on the Standard worked better, but maybe that should not be a surprise, as the R8 is Vintage Original Spec v current technology in the 08 Standard.

As I traded my 08 Standard for my 2011 R8 and I sold my over a year ago to fund my Amp, I am going on my memories, opposed to a true back to back test. And in summary (as I must get on with some work), I think my Studio was a fantastic LP and represents unbeatable value. The Standard was a step up, but we are not talking about giant leaps. And the R8 is again a step up and perfect for me.

The gap between them is small and on stage, I don`t think your audience would notice the difference in tone. If I could only buy a Studio, I would still be a happy man, but I also appreciate that extra Price has an impact on the end result.

And and I totally agree, there are very goo and bad examples of all out there.

Its very difficult to compare the Studio, as:

- No maple top, so you get a slightly darker tone.

- The Neck feels just right, but again, with no binding of gloss finish, its very diferentt.

- And the top is nice and natural, opposed to Burst on the other two

With distortion, I felt the bridge pickup is great, but in most situations the neck pickup was too muddy. But when clean and picking individual strings, the neck pickup delivers some fantastic tone.

The tone coming out of the Standard is brighter, making it more versatile. The sustain also improved, not that I felt it was an issue on the Studio. I loved the feel of the binding on the neck, but found the way Gibson cut the frets short, I had less room to play with and the high E often slipped of the fret end.

The Standard is also much heavier than the Studio (6.5LB v 9.00LB), which feels better to me. And the Burst finish was perfect.

Components such as the locking tuners, bridge etc are also a nice touch. The position of the bridge on the Studio was a fraction forward, so to get the correct intonation and avoid string contact on the back of the bridge, I had to keep the tailpiece 10 mill or so off the body. On the Standard, the position was perfect, so it was all the way down.

I manged to get the action low on both, however, during the pro setup, to my surprise there was a lot of fret dressing required on the Standard.

And now the R8!

The bit I fell in love with was the feel. The neck was amazing! Loved the finish and the sustain appeared to be endless.

Apart from the high E issue on the Standard, I thought the Standard neck profile was a good fit for m,e. But when I felt the R8, I know instantly this was the one for me.

Although I liked the tone I was getting out of the R8 in the shop, it was only when I got her home, set her up and played her through my Marshall VM that I discovered how exceptional the tone is. The sustain was so strong I actually had to change my playing style with some songs.

As it weighs in at 8.12LB, I would say it has better wood (if lighter is better) than the 08 Standard. The only element that I am disappointed with is the Volume pots. The Pots on the Standard worked better, but maybe that should not be a surprise, as the R8 is Vintage Original Spec v current technology in the 08 Standard.

As I traded my 08 Standard for my 2011 R8 and I sold my over a year ago to fund my Amp, I am going on my memories, opposed to a true back to back test. And in summary (as I must get on with some work), I think my Studio was a fantastic LP and represents unbeatable value. The Standard was a step up, but we are not talking about giant leaps. And the R8 is again a step up and perfect for me.

The gap between them is small and on stage, I don`t think your audience would notice the difference in tone. If I could only buy a Studio, I would still be a happy man, but I also appreciate that extra Price has an impact on the end result.

And and I totally agree, there are very goo and bad examples of all out there.

yeah after playing the R8 i swapped the bridges on my gibsons to ABR-1's with aluminum tailpieces an 50's wiring pots caps etc. its amazing the difference it makes. but you cant upgrade the neck profile and the neck tennon those R8's are a dream to play. I would be like Gollum from lord of the rings with an R8

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Studio 50's Tribute and an '08 Standard.

I feel the Standard neck feels more refined. It literally feels nicer to play.

And it's just not the type of neck either.

Love to play both in spite of the neck differences but the Standard just feels nicer.

Archived