Gibson Guitar Board: '59 Fretboard - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'59 Fretboard Lemon Oil?

#1 User is offline   strattwin 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-January 12
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

What's the best way to clean my new Gibson LP R9's fretboard. Appears to be remnants of dealer goo (dirt, grime, crud...teenage popsicle-hand, in between frets). ;) I've heard Lemon Oil, but also heard in time it actually dries out the rosewood.


Posted Image

#2 User is offline   CR9 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 433
  • Joined: 23-July 10
  • LocationRight in the middle of the USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Naptha is used in the shop to clean the fretboards and the rest of the guitar too. Most common lighter fluids are Naptha, but not all of them. Naptha is also used in the dry cleaning industry. You can find it at most hardware stores in a quart size that may last you a lifetime and it is not real expensive. I have used it for well over 20 years with no problems. You will want to "treat" the fretboard after cleaning it as the naptha will dry it out a little more. There are a lot of personal preferences on lubricating the fretboard such as Lemon oil, Ax Wax, FastFret, Dunlop 65, and more. I prefer Fret Doctor.

#3 User is offline   strattwin 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-January 12
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostCR9, on 02 February 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Naptha is used in the shop to clean the fretboards and the rest of the guitar too. Most common lighter fluids are Naptha, but not all of them. Naptha is also used in the dry cleaning industry. You can find it at most hardware stores in a quart size that may last you a lifetime and it is not real expensive. I have used it for well over 20 years with no problems. You will want to "treat" the fretboard after cleaning it as the naptha will dry it out a little more. There are a lot of personal preferences on lubricating the fretboard such as Lemon oil, Ax Wax, FastFret, Dunlop 65, and more. I prefer Fret Doctor.


Thanks alot! I will pick up some Naptha and Fret Doctor. The Naptha will eat through the Nitro finish on the body though, right?

#4 User is offline   CR9 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 433
  • Joined: 23-July 10
  • LocationRight in the middle of the USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Naphtha is safe on the nitro if you put it on a cloth and then wipe it off and not leave it on for a long time. I would not put it directly on the guitar. It is what the shop uses to clean the nitro before buffing it. For a little more info than just taking my word, check this out:

Naphtha

#5 User is offline   strattwin 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-January 12
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostCR9, on 03 February 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Naphtha is safe on the nitro if you put it on a cloth and then wipe it off and not leave it on for a long time. I would not put it directly on the guitar. It is what the shop uses to clean the nitro before buffing it. For a little more info than just taking my word, check this out:

Naphtha



Your posts are most informative and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up some Naptha!

#6 User is offline   StijnV 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team
  • Posts: 753
  • Joined: 25-May 10

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

The fretboard on an R9 is not lacquered with nitro- you can use our fretboard conditioner also:

http://store.gibson....ice-triple-pak/

#7 User is offline   AlanC 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 485
  • Joined: 18-August 08
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostCR9, on 02 February 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Naptha is used in the shop to clean the fretboards and the rest of the guitar too. Most common lighter fluids are Naptha, but not all of them. Naptha is also used in the dry cleaning industry. You can find it at most hardware stores in a quart size that may last you a lifetime and it is not real expensive. I have used it for well over 20 years with no problems. You will want to "treat" the fretboard after cleaning it as the naptha will dry it out a little more. There are a lot of personal preferences on lubricating the fretboard such as Lemon oil, Ax Wax, FastFret, Dunlop 65, and more. I prefer Fret Doctor.


I also prefer Fret Doctor. Its great with Rosewood but its the only oil I've seen and used which improves ebony fret boards.
AlanC.



#8 User is offline   WKnight2 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 30-March 12

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

I carefully use naptha to clean the fretboard, wipe off any residual, then Dr Stringfellow to condition it.

View PostAlanC, on 31 March 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

I also prefer Fret Doctor. Its great with Rosewood but its the only oil I've seen and used which improves ebony fret boards.


#9 User is offline   quapman 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2098
  • Joined: 03-May 12
  • LocationSask. Canada

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Wow,,, naptha? Really? I wouldn't use anything on my guitar that I have to be careful with.
I would just rather user something safe. Never had any problem cleaning my guitars before. Don't see the point in using anything harsh.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Guitars:

Electric
2011 - Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
1987 - Hamer Chaparral Custom(USA)
1987 - Hamer Slammer Series(Korean)
2001 - Squier Strat (Indonesia)
2006 - Ibanez AF-75 (Korean)
1990 - Washburn XS-4 Bass


Acoustic
2011 - Gibson J-45 Standard
1999 - Takamine G-330s
1985 - Yamaha FG-420
1982 - Lys Classical

I purchased all but the Strat, Ibanez and the Lys new off the shelf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#10 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6675
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

View Postquapman, on 10 June 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Wow,,, naptha? Really? I wouldn't use anything on my guitar that I have to be careful with.
I would just rather user something safe. Never had any problem cleaning my guitars before. Don't see the point in using anything harsh.



Naphtha is not that harsh. Just dampen a rag with it rather than pouring it on the guitar. Honest. We all use it.

On the fretboard, you may also need to clean gunk from along the edges on either side of the frets. Q-tips cotton swabs are handy for this, once again with naphtha. Fretboard conditioner afterwards is a must. I use Planet Waves Hydrate, but everyone has a favorite. I put a drop or two at ever fret position, then use fine bronze wool to buff the fretboard and the frets. Follow up by wiping excess conditioner/oil off with a clean rag or paper towel.

After you've cleaned it thoroughly once, you can usually skip the naphtha at each string change, and just use the conditioner, buffed out as above.

Most people use steel wool for this buffing, but I prefer bronze wool, which doesn't rust and seems to leave fewer metal fibers behind.

#11 User is offline   quapman 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2098
  • Joined: 03-May 12
  • LocationSask. Canada

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Really? huh,,, sounds crazy to me. lol.

Maybe I'll give it a go on one of my old ones for a test. Thanks Nick.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Guitars:

Electric
2011 - Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
1987 - Hamer Chaparral Custom(USA)
1987 - Hamer Slammer Series(Korean)
2001 - Squier Strat (Indonesia)
2006 - Ibanez AF-75 (Korean)
1990 - Washburn XS-4 Bass


Acoustic
2011 - Gibson J-45 Standard
1999 - Takamine G-330s
1985 - Yamaha FG-420
1982 - Lys Classical

I purchased all but the Strat, Ibanez and the Lys new off the shelf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#12 User is offline   TheRISK 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 06-July 11

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postquapman, on 10 June 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Really? huh,,, sounds crazy to me. lol.

Maybe I'll give it a go on one of my old ones for a test. Thanks Nick.


Naphtha is what the shops all use because it breaks up oily grime and evaporates quickly. Then you'll want to condition it. Same goes for nitro. Wood absorbs water and alcohol eats nitro so stay away from using those as cleaning agents (or anything else that uses those as a base) and stick with naphtha.

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users