Gibson Brands Forums

It's Axl Rose's 50th Birthday

heymisterk

Ah, Axl: your vision helped create one of the best albums, and - briefly - fronted one of the best bands.

But then, your ego and spoiled brat-dom brought that to a pathetic halt.

Bummer. Had you, Slash, Izzy, and Duff stayed together and continued to write music, I believe Guns 'n Roses could have been as relevant as Black Sabbath or, dare I say it, Led Zeppelin.

'Twas not to be...

It's your birthday, Axl...that's all I can say.

HB2U...Axl...

To be fair, the whole G'n R charade is/was rather over-hyped

More to do with clothes than music :blink:

There is more depth and creativity in Led Zep and Who music...and less drugs...

It all comes down to interest/variety in the end, how many G'n R or Slash albums can one listen to back to back?...

V

:-({|=

HB2U...Axl...

To be fair, the whole G'n R charade is/was rather over-hyped

More to do with clothes than music :blink:

There is more depth and creativity in Led Zep and Who music...and less drugs...

It all comes down to interest/variety in the end, how many G'n R or Slash albums can one listen to back to back?...

V

:-({|=

Overall, I agree. But I would put Appetite up there with any of Zeppelin's best.

^^^gotta love that pause.

Did you guys see the That Metal Show interview of Axl? I yawned,

He was a bada$$ mofo but today he seems a shadow of what he once was, surrounding yourself with yes-men is not a good thing, if you see that episode (which I am sure is available on VH1 online) you will see.

Gn'R was a killer band, not a fad, they produced one of the best Rock n' Roll albums in history and Use Your Illusion defined as an imperfect masterpiece is just that. Had they not imploded they would still be great.

Izzy Stradlin is a great songwriter.

I was lucky enough to see them live in their full splendor [thumbup]

He was a bada$$ mofo but today he seems a shadow of what he once was, surrounding yourself with yes-men is not a good thing, if you see that episode (which I am sure is available on VH1 online) you will see.

Gn'R was a killer band, not a fad, they produced one of the best Rock n' Roll albums in history and Use Your Illusion defined as an imperfect masterpiece is just that. Had they not imploded they would still be great.

+1

Well said, and I agree. When I first heard of Guns 'n Roses, I thought, "Great; another Poison." Boy, was I wrong. And I liked the Illusion albums too, even though they were definitely uneven and self-indulgent.

I too saw them before Axl started having a temper tantrum over every little thing and before Izzy left, and it was a glorious, glorious show.

Well said, and I agree. When I first heard of Guns 'n Roses, I thought, "Great; another Poison." Boy, was I wrong. And I liked the Illusion albums too, even though they were definitely uneven and self-indulgent.

I too saw them before Axl started having a temper tantrum over every little thing and before Izzy left, and it was a glorious, glorious show.

I loved the acoustic tracks on the lies album [thumbup] Somewhere I have the a cd which has there cover of them doing AC DC's Whole Lotta Rosie. The crowd even chant Angus at the beginning which is great fun!!

Matt

I was lucky enough to see this one in 87:

10.08.87 - Hammersmith Odeon, London, England

opening acts: Quireboys, Faster *****cat

set: It's So Easy, Move To the City, Out Ta Get Me, Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle, Rocket Queen, Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, You're Crazy, Paradise City, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Reckless Life, Mama Kin, Sweet Child O' Mine, Whole Lotta Rosie.

One of the best gigs I've ever seen tbh.

I loved the acoustic tracks on the lies album [thumbup] S

Matt

Totally agree, Matt. "Patience" is one of the first songs I ever learned on the guitar because of it's simplicity. If you listen to it closely, it is structurally similar to The Rolling Stones' "Let It Bleed".

Archived