Gibson Brands Forums

Small Body Gibson Vs Small Body Martin

BluesKing777

To cut a long story short, I posted a link to Lightning Hopkins playing a Gibson J50 the other day just as a local guitar dealer posted a mint one to his board of 'for sales'.

Fever.

Very, very expensive.

Then I realised I don't really want another jumbo - I prefer the size of my Lg-1 and Lg-0 and the body size of my B25-12N for blues fingerpicking! I have previously posted recordings of me playing these guitars and I am very happy with the sound of each.

Then it hits me: The Gibson LG3 looks like a shrunken J50! I want an LG3.... fever again......I can't get an x braced LG-2 as I would get confused with my LG-1 because they look the same even if they sound different...

So...

There are none locally here at the end of the known guitar universe, so would be ordered without hearing and playing from a dealer or eBay.

Found one very expensive in good nick but with ceramic saddle, a couple of 'dodgys' on eBay and a nice looking one at a very well known dealer, except it has a de armond pickup mounted and the jack in the side. Not many around at the moment.

The same well known dealer also has a straight Martin 00-18 for exactly the same price.

Both guitars are late 50's.

Gibson loyalty or a short jump? Steer me, people!

BluesKing777.

Gibson loyalty or a short jump? Steer me, people!

It all comes down to how much you want that Gibson tone.

If your open to investigating smaller Martins for your blues stylings, I'd recommend that you try to find a 00-17 to check out.

My feelings on this...you must be up in the mid-$2,000 range to be thinking about either of these models. Congrats for that. My 0017, like my Guild M20, a similar guitar, had everything going for it, but the sixth string in both cases was, in contrast, wimpy compared to the mid and high range balance that sounded so beautiful on these little mahogany gems. I eventually got frustrated with that and shed both guitars. I know you love your ladder-braced gits, but an LG2 can do anything and more than the LG1 and LG0 can do. If you dumped off those babies and padded your already decent shopping budget, you might be able to ensure that the LG2 you end up with is in a fairly good condition. If I could have afforded it, I'd still own all the old boxes I had, but trading out elevates your collection.

I can't fig out why 'vintage gurus' Ebay LG3 hasn't sold at $1400, and have considered buying it, but I'm a little tapped out 'til my Guild sells. Looking closely at the pics of the LG3 top, it looks like there are cracks or checks running from the bridge bolts down the lower bout. These are sturdy models, but I'd be fearful of that flaw. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. My GAS won't stay in remission for long.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

...for blues...I'd go Gibson.....sweet finger style...Martin
. Normally, as a rule, yeh, but --in this instance Id flip them. The 50s 0018s Ive played have a pretty in-your-face-spit-it out sound. More separation. Articulate, cool. The tall thin braces on the LG would tend to sing a little sweeter, in that vague warm woody Gibby way. If you are looking for a mini-J50, then the LG is your box (maybe that's OWF meant, if so, salute).

I like both lines of small guitars so I have no buying recommendation except maybe both. I just wanted to add that the LG-2 / LG-3 is a model I wish would get more production. We've been whining about this for years here but they are still fairly hard to obtain.

Thanks everyone.

So the general consensus is for me to buy both guitars AND a Martin 00-17. And maybe ditch a couple of the low rankers I like?

HA! (HeeeHeee). Probably not the same advice I would get at home!

The 'vintage gurus' guitar mentioned on Ebay won't be sent overseas - even has emails from overseas blocked - their loss already - would have hit the 'buy button' and filled the top cracks with old bubble gum at that price!.

BluesKing777.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys

Rather than creating new topic I use this one.

I narrow my choices between Gibson LG-2 Arlo 3/4

and Martin 0-15S

It will be my only acoustic just for some casual couch playing and some recording. I hate big dreadnuts that's the reason I would like to get one of these. I know the Arlo is short scale. Would it be a big issue (I don't have big hands)?

Are they even in the same category?Which one would you prefer?I can get them for the same price 1300Eur brand new. Unfortunately I can't play them as they are not available in UK.

Thanks

Hi guys

Rather than creating new topic I use this one.

I narrow my choices between Gibson LG-2 Arlo 3/4

and Martin 0-15S

It will be my only acoustic just for some casual couch playing and some recording. I hate big dreadnuts that's the reason I would like to get one of these. I know the Arlo is short scale. Would it be a big issue (I don't have big hands)?

Are they even in the same category?Which one would you prefer?I can get them for the same price 1300Eur brand new. Unfortunately I can't play them as they are not available in UK.

Thanks

Not sure what your situation is there but if this is your only guitar, I would not pick one of those. The Martin is mahogany top. Also I think the dovetail joint on that is different from the traditional dovetail used on a standard series Martin. In other words, so-so guitar IMO. The Arlo on the other hand is really, really small. The neck is too narrow, the whole thing is awfully small, and if I recall it's ladder braced, so also, IMHO, kind of underwhelming. Get something with a spruce top and x bracing is my advice.

Not sure what your situation is there but if this is your only guitar, I would not pick one of those. The Martin is mahogany top. Also I think the dovetail joint on that is different from the traditional dovetail used on a standard series Martin. In other words, so-so guitar IMO. The Arlo on the other hand is really, really small. The neck is too narrow, the whole thing is awfully small, and if I recall it's ladder braced, so also, IMHO, kind of underwhelming. Get something with a spruce top and x bracing is my advice.

Hi there, do you have any suggestions for a small body guitar in this kind of price range (used, vintage, new)?

Gibson L-00 is a very nice, small guitar. There are way too many versions of it now so it's hard to make a recommendation (for a while they were marketing it as Blues King), but I suspect you could find a used one made in Bozeman, Montana that would fit your price range. The specs are rather variable but these are often dynamite little guitars. There is also a deeper body version called Nick Lucas, but they have fancy ornamentation and can be pretty expensive.

Another one you might find used is the recent Gibson LG-2 AE. A tad larger lower bout than L-00, I think.

On the Martin side I would try to find a used 00-18V or 00-18VS. Might have to save up a bit. You could probably find a better bargain on an L-00 ...

Hi Jerry thanks for the recommendations. I think L00 is over my budget. I tried the 00-15 and realize I want something smaller than that. That's the reason why I decided to go with one of these. The other one I was looking for was Gibson L3 (are L1, L3, L4, the same size?)

Some will disagree but I find the Martin 15 series underwhelming. Now if a 00-15 is too big everything I recommended is too big also. Sounds like you want a true parlor or 0 size guitar. Try for all solid woods, spruce top, x braced. Used is a good way to get a better instrument.

The nicest ones in my view which are just what you want, are Martin 0-18 an 0-28. Especially if you can find an older one. It's kind of difficult to make these really small guitars sound good. Consequently a good one is expensive. Even the ones I mentioned do not entirely satisfy me because, well the box is small and inevitably the sound is smaller.

An old thread returns!

As an update, didn't get the Martin, but I definitely got an LG3! An absolute ripper 1959.

IN the budget department, a lot of people talk about these.....

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gretsch-roots-collection-g9500-jim-dandy-flat-top-574844/

BluesKing777.

Those Jim Dandy things look like the Gretsch Americana cowboy guitars from a few years ago. All laminated and weird tonewood. I still have one of those. Fun for a picnic. Looks like the same terrible bridge design where the strings go through a hole in the bridge and balls anchor on the lower edge of the bridge and not on a bridge plate inside.

The nicest ones in my view which are just what you want, are Martin 0-18 an 0-28. Especially if you can find an older one. It's kind of difficult to make these really small guitars sound good. Consequently a good one is expensive. Even the ones I mentioned do not entirely satisfy me because, well the box is small and inevitably the sound is smaller.

...and I've found, even if you play 'small', the bass end becomes especially dissatisfying over time. Yep...00's, at least, for that overall balance.

Looks like the same terrible bridge design where the strings go through a hole in the bridge and balls anchor on the lower edge of the bridge and not on a bridge plate inside.

Gotta agree, that's one of the worst bridge designs out there.

I'm always waiting for a bridge like that to implode at any moment!

Archived