Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone vs. Gibson

mikekefr

Ive always looked at it like this. If you can afford a Gibson and it feels good, plays good and sounds good then buy a Gibson. Right out of the box all it needs is set up to the individual player. But all things relative, a $1000ish Studio LP isnt going to be as tasty as a $4000ish Custom.

Epiphone is a good guitar thats affordable to the masses. But its not a Gibson. That said the Epi's are a great foundation guitar. Solid to build from. Once set up its a good guitar. Epi's can be great guitars if you find one thats nice and resonant and dont mind spending more money on them on upgrades. Again all being relative there is a big difference between a lower end $200 Epi vs. the $700 higher end Epi.

Ive always looked at it like this. If you can afford a Gibson and it feels good, plays good and sounds good then buy a Gibson. Right out of the box all it needs is set up to the individual player. But all things relative, a $1000ish Studio LP isnt going to be as tasty as a $4000ish Custom.

Epiphone is a good guitar thats affordable to the masses. But its not a Gibson. That said the Epi's are a great foundation guitar. Solid to build from. Once set up its a good guitar. Epi's can be great guitars if you find one thats nice and resonant and dont mind spending more money on them on upgrades. Again all being relative there is a big difference between a lower end $200 Epi vs. the $700 higher end Epi.

I actually have one of each that you mention,an Ace Frehley model and a Special 2,and yes the difference is quite noticeable,im interested in getting a gold top next and am in no $$ position to get a real gibson.The epi limited edition 56 at musicians friend looks awesome for the $$.

Epiphone was a reputable guitar company in it's own right before Gibson took it over (bought out the competition).

In terms of Quality, with instruments that were, or still are exclusive to Epiphone, I believe the quality to be excellent. models such as the original Wilshire or Sheratons for example. Les Paul himself said Epiphone is a fine instrument building company.

However if we are talking about epiphone built licensed copies of Gibson guitars, then I think that the Gibson models are superior....Built from the finest quality materials by master craftsmen under stringent quality control and sold for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ megabucks.

The Epiphones are mass produced from "eastern mahogany" instead of the rare and expensive Honduras mahogany from south america. eastern mahogany is a term used to describe any number of woods native to the east that are not even related to mahogany but have similar tonal characteristics, The Gibbys have a thick carved maple cap but the epiphones generally use poplar, or if its a plus top, poplar with a thin maple vaneer. then of course the electrics and hard ware are of a lesser quality. However these guitars are licensed copies and are basically the same guitars, at a price that the average Joe can afford [thumbup] .

In short, I believe that Gibson and Epiphone are simply not comparable and are designed to appeal to two completely different markets .... there is no epiphone Vs Gibson.

Mind you, I also know that if you play before you pay you can find a great "keeper" of an Epiphone, and if you were to put in some quality pickups, you would have to have to have a very special ear to tell them apart in a blindfold test.

In fantasy world,(assuming we are talking about epiphone copies of gibby models).... just say I am a wealthy pro musician, I would buy a few Really nice Gibbys for the collection, or playing at home or studio when I feel like being extravagant, but I would also have a fleet of Epiphones kitted out with upgrades to use for band practice and gigging.

Epiphone was a reputable guitar company in it's own right before Gibson took it over (bought out the competition).

In terms of Quality, with instruments that were, or still are exclusive to Epiphone, I believe the quality to be excellent. models such as the original Wilshire or Sheratons for example. Les Paul himself said Epiphone is a fine instrument building company.

However if we are talking about epiphone built licensed copies of Gibson guitars, then I think that the Gibson models are superior....Built from the finest quality materials by master craftsmen under stringent quality control and sold for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ megabucks.

The Epiphones are mass produced from "eastern mahogany" instead of the rare and expensive Honduras mahogany from south america. eastern mahogany is a term used to describe any number of woods native to the east that are not even related to mahogany but have similar tonal characteristics, The Gibbys have a thick carved maple cap but the epiphones generally use poplar, or if its a plus top, poplar with a thin maple vaneer. then of course the electrics and hard ware are of a lesser quality. However these guitars are licensed copies and are basically the same guitars, at a price that the average Joe can afford [thumbup] .

In short, I believe that Gibson and Epiphone are simply not comparable and are designed to appeal to two completely different markets .... there is no epiphone Vs Gibson.

Mind you, I also know that if you play before you pay you can find a great "keeper" of an Epiphone, and if you were to put in some quality pickups, you would have to have to have a very special ear to tell them apart in a blindfold test.

In fantasy world,(assuming we are talking about epiphone copies of gibby models).... just say I am a wealthy pro musician, I would buy a few Really nice Gibbys for the collection, or playing at home or studio when I feel like being extravagant, but I would also have a fleet of Epiphones kitted out with upgrades to use for band practice and gigging.

Thanks for the detailed explanation,thats what i was after,info w/ opinions !!

I like to think of Epiphones as the affordable Gibsons.

An affordable version of a Gibson, indeed.

I think that's a pretty fair statement.

I don't know why people would expect something that retails for a third or a quarter of the price of something else to be equal in quality, or only have superficial differences.

Modern Epiphones get you a Gibson-style guitar for a relatively small amount of money. Epiphones are not unique in that regard. I've played one or two Vintage (Wilkinson) brand Les Paul-styled guitars that were also relatively cheap, and also extremely good.

V100HBlarge.jpg

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

But I've also played a Gibson 61 reissue SG. And one hour with it just made me really wish I had $2K to drop on a guitar because it was, well, perfect. And hence very expensive. That tends to be the way of the world, I find.

shrug.gif

The nice thing is that there is a broad marketplace in terms of guitars these days...

When the SG GAS hits, I could:

(1) Buy an Epiphone G-400 and have a good guitar.

or

(2) Buy an Epiphone G-400 and mod an already good guitar to further suit my tastes.

or

(3) Save up and buy what I really crave - a top of the line Gibson SG.

But I don't believe that option 2 is a way of getting to option 3 and saving a load of cash in the process.

i have a vintage brand strat and it is very good. but i tried a vintage brand SG copy, it looked like an SG but it did not feel or play anything like an SG [thumbdn]

My experience with Vintage stuff is a bit like my experience with Squiers.

Once you make the jump up from their lower-end stuff to their higher-range stuff (which is still pretty cheap, in terms of money), you get a heck of a lot more guitar for your modest amount of cash.

The Vintage AV1s for example:

AV1PFH.jpg

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageadvance.html

I don't often see this brand where I live now (the United States), but I often think about picking up a Vintage AV1 whenever I visit my Dad on Merseyside.

Along with a Burns Marquee and other stuff I can't get here. Like Ribena, for example.

While that was true from the 1920s into the 1940s, Epiphone had been in a downward spiral for years. Ted McCarty snagged Epiphone not because they were a threat but because he wanted their doghouse bass line. Gibson also saw Epiphone as a way to offer another line of instruments to retailers who were none too happy about the territorial agreements Gibson made to protect dealerships. McCarty later said he got the company so cheap he could have paid for it with what he had in his pocket.

It turned out to be a heck of a move though. By 1966 Epi was bringing in some $3 million bucks.

From what I have seen the question most folks face is not whether to buy a Gibson or an Epi (which often comes down to expendable cash) but the Epi or one of the other numerous offshore built versions like the Edwards LPs. Some like the older Tokai Lesters have become darn near legendary.

I own both Gibson & Epiphone Les Pauls. My Gib's are 2 studios from the mid 90's and my 2 Epi's are a 50th anniversary V3 standard and a 2011 standard plus top. Also the last cover band that I played in the other guitarist had a 2008 Gibson LP standard that he let me play alot (he liked me playing that opposed to my ESP EC 1000s) so my opinion is based on real world experiences...

The biggest difference I notice at first is the tops in the Epi's aren't as good & the carve (arch) isn't as pronounced as the Gibs. Also, the hardware & electronics are no where near the quality on the Epi's compared to the Gibson. The Gibson also feel slightly more solid that the Epi's do.

All that said, my 2 Epiphones are my main guitars because 1-I like the slightly lighter body for longer shows, 2-I actually like my guitars to feel a little more loose, instead of feeling like the guitar is too tight or don't give. 3-none of the guitars I buy ever stay stock for hardware/electronics so I'd rather have a better quality build & less quality on the hardware since it'll go away anyways. 4-if the guitar gets damaged which is very likely with heavy gigging, I'm not crying over a $1,500+ guitar like I did when my 1st Gibson was knocked off of a stand & snapped the head stock.

The only real negative for me, especially for live use is the shape of the head stock... because we all know how musicians listen with their eyes about as much as their ears.

[tongue] This subject, has been done to death! Buy what you like/love, regardless...even if that means having to save money, a bit longer, to do so. My Epiphones, are top quality instruments, in every case. I (personally) have never based someone's worth, as a player, on what brand, or headstock design, was on their guitar. It was how well, they played, the one(s) they had! "Cork sniffers," to the contrary.

It is interesting, at times, what a great player can get out of a guitar that some, in the audience, might

feel to be inferior. (I actually LOVE it, when a great player does that!) I have way more Gibson's,

than any other brand I own...but, I'm certainly NOT a "snob" about it. I LOVE my Epi's, Ric's, Fenders,

and Gretsch guitars, just as much. But then, most of my Gibson's were purchased years (even decades)

ago, when they were nowhere near the prices, they are, now.

So...Find a great guitar, regardless of price or brand, and just have a ball! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

[tongue] This subject, has been done to death! Buy what you like/love, regardless...even if that means having to save money, a bit longer, to do so. My Epiphones, are top quality instruments, in every case. I (personally) have never based someone's worth, as a player, on what brand, or headstock design, was on their guitar. It was how well, they played, the one(s) they had! "Cork sniffers," to the contrary.

It is interesting, at times, what a great player can get out of a guitar that some, in the audience, might

feel to be inferior. (I actually LOVE it, when a great player does that!) I have way more Gibson's,

than any other brand I own...but, I'm certainly NOT a "snob" about it. I LOVE my Epi's, Ric's, Fenders,

and Gretsch guitars, just as much. But then, most of my Gibson's were purchased years (even decades)

ago, when they were nowhere near the prices, they are, now.

So...Find a great guitar, regardless of price or brand, and just have a ball! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well said CB. Agree with you absolutely.

mygibsonsg67standard.jpg

cimg1121h.jpg

I've just ordered 2 Burstbucker Pro's and a 498T for my G400 Custom.

I expect it will sound every bit as good as my old '67 Standard.

It already feels just as great to play as it is. [rolleyes]

The rest is up to you, the player. Soooo...... practise hard and you can make

any reasonable guitar sound hot. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

Nice SG Custom. I have one of those maestro's myself, I have three Duncans in it: Custom 8, Phat Cat (P-90), and a '59N.

And yes, I've seen great players pick up cheapo entry-level guitars and play amazing things on them. On forums, we tend to get hung up on gear and prices, but the most important part of music is the fingers and the imagination. No guitar plays itself.

The Epiphones are mass produced from "eastern mahogany" instead of the rare and expensive Honduras mahogany from south america. eastern mahogany is a term used to describe any number of woods native to the east that are not even related to mahogany but have similar tonal characteristics, The Gibbys have a thick carved maple cap but the epiphones generally use poplar, or if its a plus top, poplar with a thin maple vaneer. then of course the electrics and hard ware are of a lesser quality.

Agree with most of what you said and 100% of the sentiments but:

1. Eastern Mahogany is a specific South American wood (Nato) and doesn't come from anywhere near the Far East

2. Honduras Mahogany (is now grown in a number of places including the Far East) and, despite what Gibson would have you believe, is neither rare nor expensive.

3. Current Epiphone Les Pauls have a maple cap (about 3/8" thick rather than the 1/2" of a Gibson) with a flame maple veneer on non solid colour finishes (except for the Custom which is solid Nato)

4. Finally - NOT all Gibson LP's are Honduras mahogany now (something which was hinted at on several occasions by Henry). I have personally seen a number, in a trusted Gibson dealer, which almost certainly were Nato. Interestingly, when I pointed this out to the guys in the shop and after several of them had examined the guitars very closely, they checked the spec from Gibson and noticed that the spec only mentioned 'Mahogany' (Honduran didn't appear)

At the end of the day the best guitar is the one that speaks to you - the worst guitar I've ever picked up was a £3000 Gibson LP and the most responsive was a Tele I built from parts off Ebay for a song. In your hands the result might well be the total opposite.

Well said CB. Agree with you absolutely.

mygibsonsg67standard.jpg

cimg1121h.jpg

Cheers

Paul

I would caution the BB Pros are VERY (and I do mean VERY) sensitive to pole piece and overall pick up height so be prepared to spend some time getting the best out of them. Get it wrong and they can sound really harsh but it's worth persevering. Defiantly not as balanced as 57's though with much more of a mid range hump.

[tongue] This subject, has been done to death!

All too true...

At the end of the day the best guitar is the one that speaks to you

By far the most accurate and insightful statement at the this thread.

But I've also played a Gibson 61 reissue SG. And one hour with it just made me really wish I had $2K to drop on a guitar because it was, well, perfect. And hence very expensive. That tends to be the way of the world, I find.

shrug.gif

The nice thing is that there is a broad marketplace in terms of guitars these days...

or

(2) Buy an Epiphone G-400 and mod an already good guitar to further suit my tastes.

or

But I don't believe that option 2 is a way of getting to option 3 and saving a load of cash in the process.

With regard to modern Epiphones:

Gibsons, for the most part, are superior in every way to Epiphones. That statement does not devalue nor denigrate Epiphone guitars. Epiphones are amazing value for money. They are viable, usable, gigable guitars. They are fantastic platforms for those with the skill and know-how to mod them. Without mods, more often than not they are still fulfill their owner's demands, whatever their musical level of musical expertise.

Soooo...... practise hard and you can make

any reasonable guitar sound hot.

Throw Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson a top-of-the line Taylor-Made or Ping driver, or a driver from a WalMart $200 set of clubs (bag included), and I promise you that whichever club they hit, most other golfers will be amazed by the result. There's still a reason why those pro-golfers go with the top-of-the-line club though, and it isn't just about the sponsorship money...

However, if an reasonably good amateur golfer hits those clubs for a while, he/she will eventually start to realize why one costs more than the other - and it isn't just about the name.

I guess that's how I feel about guitars, too, these days.

Back to guitars (and the original poster) - enjoy the guitar you have (whatever it is). If it isn't doing it for you, save up and go searching for something that you like better.

My most recent Epi is a Les Paul Traditional Pro.The day I tried out the guitar I plugged it into a Blues Jr. that was in the store.When I hit the first note I was floored,it sounded so much like a PAF Les Paul.The tone of the guitar was just like the tone that Robert Fripp got in The Court Of The Crimson King by of course King Crimson.Over the years I`ve played many Les Pauls but the absolute best that I`ve ever played was an Epi 1959 Tribute that sold for $1,050. This guitar both played and sounded like a guitar that cost more than double the price.The finish and attention to detail in the workmanship and finish was beyond compare.A lot of people have a knee jerk reaction that Epis of any model automatically need upgrading of pickups,electronics and hardware,there may have been some creedence in that back in the early 90s etc.when QC wasn`t consistant but these days nothing could be further from the truth.Epiphone has improved its quality immensely in the past decade or so and these days they offer far more bang for the buck than many other brands including at times its mother company.

1. Eastern Mahogany is a specific South American wood (Nato) and doesn't come from anywhere near the Far East

I did a little reading up because i was sure i was right, but now i'm not so sure any more. I think there is confusion about the phrase eastern mahogany....in that there are several eastern woods marketed as mahogany such as Agathis. Yet so called "eastern mahogany" usually refers to Nato wood which comes from mora trees of which there are seven different species indigenous to South America. :blink:

But

I've also played a Gibson 61 reissue SG. And one hour with it just made me

really wish I had $2K to drop on a guitar because it was, well, perfect. And

hence very expensive. That tends to be the way of the world, I find.

shrug.gif

or

or

Why don't you just pick yourself up a MiJ Epi SG or an Elitist. I would put my Elitist SG up against ANY Gibson SG on the market today.

Archived