Gibson Brands Forums

Strings N' Things

John Lee Walker

For years now, until very recently, I have used nothing but Dean Markely light guage strings on my guitars. I tried others and discovered Elixirs and was sold. Again, with the lights, probably because it's what I am used to. Someone suggested I would like the sound of my J200 MC much better if I strung it with mediums, which I did. I didn't really expect much of a difference, but wow...it was like it came out of a different box. It has enhanced the sound of this guitar like you wouldn't believe. Elixir Mediums are all I will use on this baby from now on.

The only time I've ever used mediums is when I play acoustic slide, and I have a special setup that I use, which I will share for anyone interested. It's simple, yet very effective for getting a nice, rich tone when you play slide. I replace the B string with a G light, and move the B string to the E string. When playing standard, I capo at the first fret - otherwise I play open D or G. I've often been asked how I get such a tone from my guitar, and there it is. By no means is this an original idea, it's something I happened to learn from Gary Rossington, of Lynyrd Skynyrd, when we toured with them. This is how he sets up his SG for slide when he plays 'Freebird'...but just does the switcharoo with the B string to G. I modified his setup a bit and moved the B to E on acoustic. Try it sometime:)

I am working on an instrumental piece right now for, believe it or not, a bass fishing instructional DVD soundtrack. I'm using ProTools and doing the scratch on my comp using my J200 MC, adding ambient sound wavs such as castinets and percussion, croaking frogs and crickets (it's a swamp thang doncha know) and it's coming along ok, but I will probably redo it with my National when I get home, as something is missing with the sound. The National Steel just sounds more dirty and raw while the J200 comes off too clean for what I have in mind.

My wife is putting a new website together as we speak, and I will post both versions in MP3 form on there for whoever wants to take a listen. Your various opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Posting from Harrisonburg, VA, on my way to St Louis, MO!

Cya!

Years ago I was setting up a Firebird strickly for for slide in open tuning. I was talking to Mel Bay about keys and string guages and such and here's a note he wrote me for string guages for open "D" tuning. It's a pretty neat keepsake, especially with the "autograph" and phone number.

2989861759_2821db2c1c_o.jpg

Hey John Lee, whatcha doing comin to my hometown?

Archived