Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Amp Help

WIS Bill

Hello WIS Bill.

I have a Marshall AS50R. It's pretty cheap and cheerful. Check the Marshall website for spec. Built in China but solidly so.

It's a good allrounder with a spring reverb and digital chorus. 2 channels and a mike input. The AS100 is an altogether better proposition with upgraded speakers and 4 channels. I played my Tak 12er through one when I was buying the Tak and an SWD 12er and they both sounded fantastic.

Some folks will recommend tube and they're right. But I love my little Marshall.

I have used it for a couple of small gigs and it's fine although the 50 watts is a bit limited. If you're going to be doing anything bigger than say open mike stuff, then it would be too small IMO. I plug straight into a Bose PA system for gigs most of the time.

The AS50 does have rather a processed sound but you'll have to try your guitars through a few a decide what's best.

The Marshalls are certainly worth considering for your price range.

Good luck and let us know what you look at and how you get on.

Hold on....

The Carvin AG100D is a 100 watt, 3 channel acoustic amp with a second channel voiced for bass, and a Lo Z mini p.a. system. It has digital effects built in, a big fat 12 inch speaker closed back that has a stand hole, and you can unplug the head so it doubles as a spare unpowered monitor, or a spare powered monitor, or a spare bass amp, or, turn off the tweeter, add a tubescreamer and it's a spare lead amp, or it's a spare main speaker. It's great for auctions, parties, anytime you need a mini p.a. in a box and.......

Get this.....

It's a great sounding acoustic amp, and mine is pushing 5 years being used in ALL of these applications without a problem.

I've done acoustic solo gigs with just it on a stand, and another line to my monitor in pretty large rooms with zero issues.

Huge fan of Carvin PA stuff. (not their guitars, sorry).

Murph.

I have owned a variety of acoustic amps at various price levels and finally settled on Fender Acoustasonics made in Mexico.

I prefer the models that pre-date the DSP effects and just have chorus and reverb, but you can make that call yourself. A used 30 watt should fit in your price range well enough as will the Acoustasonic Jr. - my favourite monitor.

I use mine for vocals and guitar as well as with pencil condenser mics on acoustic guitars. The only disappointment is that the mic input does not have phantom power, so an external pre-amp is required to use condenser mics.

I haven't found another affordable amp as good as these. I was in the UK and tried a tube acoustic amp that blew my mind, but it was $5000. I think I like the sound of $500 better than $5000.

Archived