Gibson Brands Forums

How to get metal sound

messican

Hey all, please excuse my ignorance but I am looking to get the metal/hard rock sound and could use some help. I have less than ideal equipment but i am just getting started. I have an Epi Riviera p93 and an Orange Crush PiX 35LDX. Cant seem to get the tones i am looking for from my setup and would like some advice. I am guessing i need a pedal but unsure which or what i need. Are pedals something that have settings that you can adjust for different types of sounds? Thanks!

Hey all, please excuse my ignorance but I am looking to get the metal/hard rock sound and could use some help. I have less than ideal equipment but i am just getting started. I have an Epi Riviera p93 and an Orange Crush PiX 35LDX. Cant seem to get the tones i am looking for from my setup and would like some advice. I am guessing i need a pedal but unsure which or what i need. Are pedals something that have settings that you can adjust for different types of sounds? Thanks!

I'am assuming that your talking about a high gain/distortion type of sound? I'm not familiar with your amp so #-o does it have a gain/distortion setting if not you may have to just crank it to 10 to get that distortion! it may not so ya, it may need some other effects pedal or something digital to get what you want! O:)

I ran my P-3 through some Marshalls, Orange tube amps, and some pedals.....The P-3 WILL do metal......You'll need a pedal to get metal tones.......

I can give you some pedals to look at, and to choose from, as well as buying advice....Just let me know...............

Thank you for your help, any advice on pedals would be awesome. I am a bit on a budget so under $100 would be ideal for now. Thanks damian.

My thoughts.........You have a nice guitar, and amp......In short, there's "Fuzz", "Overdrive", and "Distortion" pedals....Fuzz is a type of distortion, not

really typical for modern metal....Overdrive pedals are more for "overdriving" a tube amp...Your amp is solid state, ie, no tubes....There's a variety

of "metal" type distortion pedals.....You can buy new, or used through "craig's list" or e-bay....I avoid e-bay....I buy new and used through online

at Musician's Friend, Zzounds, and AMS......There's not much discount used but they usually are in great shape, ie, just like new....Zzound has

the "22 Hardwire TL-2 Metal" for 79, 89, and 99 bucks, and the "SC-2 Hardwire" for 65 used....Both are good metal pedals....They also have the

TC Electronics "Rottweiler" metal pedal used for 95 bucks; a GREAT pedal....I haven't used the Hardwire brand, but I know they're good.............

The MXR Dime pedal used is also a good option to consider.....I would avoid "Digitech" pedals....You can view "Youtube" demos of these pedals

as well.....I say go for one of the Hardwire pedals or the amazing "Rottweiler"....All are within your $100.00 range....Shipping is basically free......

Your amp has built in effects, so, running a metal distortion in front should get you where you want to go tone wise...............Damian.......

( Oh, I use a variety of pedals; for the rare metal I do, I use the "Rottweiler", a Boss Gt10, Boss GT-8, Tech21 pedals, and an Akai Deluxe Distortion....)

I checked out a vid (quickly) of one of those....Fuzz based.....Good for a limited sound and style of metal.....

I doubt you'd like it either......It would make a nice second or third pedal though....Just my opinion..........

Archived