Gibson Brands Forums

1969 Gibson es-335

Itsthelawsonn

Hi

A friend of my dads has a 1969 Gibson es 335 that he is looking to sell. He said around 1000 which I heard and am freaking out but then I found out that it has had a refret as well as the trapeze tailpiece replaced by a stop tailpiece which is common for those years. Do you think that it would still have some collector value? Do you think 1000 bucks is a fair deal? Let me know your thoughts because it would help me out greatly.

Thanks guys

The guitar has no collector value, but it could be a good player. How have you identified it as a '69? Do you have the serial number?

If it's in good shape, with the orignal pickups, $1000 could be a good price. A very good all-original '69 ES 335 is probably worth about $3K in today's depressed market. The re-fret and converted tailpiece probably knock about $1K off the price.

You should be aware that a '69 will have the very narrow 1 9/16" nut width, which some people find too narrow to play comfortably. Try before you buy.

IMHO a re-fret doesn't hurt it's value as long as it was done properly. $1000 sounds like a very good deal to me.

It's all somewhat subjective (especially since this wouldn't be a "blue chip" collectible even if all original), but I tend to agree with Paul on this one. Not only that, but the conversion from a trapeze to a stop is one of the more valid/popular modifications one can do to this type of instrument. Most potential buyers will be pleased that it's already been done. Even without seeing photos, I would say $1000 sounds like a very good deal (IF, as Nick points out, the nut width is not an issue for the buyer/player).

Hi

A friend of my dads has a 1969 Gibson es 335 that he is looking to sell. He said around 1000 which I heard and am freaking out but then I found out that it has had a refret as well as the trapeze tailpiece replaced by a stop tailpiece which is common for those years. Do you think that it would still have some collector value? Do you think 1000 bucks is a fair deal? Let me know your thoughts because it would help me out greatly.

Thanks guys

Hmmmmmmmm,...here we go again.

](*,)

Archived