Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbuckers 1 & 2 in Place of Burstbucker Pro

bluezguy

There's been a million comments out there on comparing these pickups however, I really hope to get some answers from the guys who have spent A LOT of time on the road and studio.

TO EXPLAIN:

I'm 59 and am on my first full-time day job which started out of absolute necessity back in 2003. I'd like to hear from you guys who've been out gigging since the late '60s and '70s simply for the reason that we've had similar mileage and performance. It's one of those 'Ya Had to Be There Moments".

No way is this meant to insult or slam any other age group!

I really like the stock Burstbuckers Pros in my 2003 LP Standard... but ... they don't really remind me of anything in the distant past. I was blessed to have had a Black Beauty back in '69 and I really do remember the tones and sonic performance it gave me through my Twin, 100W Plexi and Traynor Bassmaster head(used for guitar). Up until the '80s, I'd had 3 different LPs and they'd all have similar vocal qualities that I don't hear out of today's Gibsons.

The reading I'm getting about the BB1 & BB2 says these are about the most accurate representation of that time period but money is the problem. So, before I blow a couple hundred on a set of BB1 & BB2 to try in my LP Standard, I'm hoping I can get some up front personal reviews on these babies - hopefully by those players amongst us who do not use pedals to overdrive. I'm begging for info of tonal satisfaction coming out of natural paper cone and saturated tube distortion ... like that of a Plexi cranked.

The unpotted thing gets me all horny as I love 'controlled' feedback when soloing. To hear them notes split into octaves .... ooohhh BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

To finalize, think of Mike Bloomfield back at the Fillmore. I believe his weapon of choice was a '59 LP forever. This is where I wanna tonally end up. Thanks for understanding!

I'm 62, and I've found that the "Classic '57' & '57+ are (to me) much closer,

to the old PAF sound, than even the Burstbuckers. I think it has to do with

them being even lower output, than the Burstbuckers. I've played with Burst

buckers, the Hot Ceramic's, T-tops, and others, but (again), for me the Classic

'57's really capture that '50's & '60's PAF Humbucker tone! When I changed the

Hot Ceramic's out of my 2000 Classic, it was like "Finally, I recaptured that

wonderful old Les Paul tone!" But, other's will have there own opinions. It

really boils down to, what tone YOU want. Classic '57's do it best, for me.

CB

if you want a real PAF clone, forget about any pickup Gibson makes. I like the 57s and the BB 1/2, but both of these sets pale in comparison to my Throbak SLE-101 MXVs. Yes, the Throbaks are expensive. But they nailed the tone I had in my head.

Reviews on various PAF styles I've tried:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56077-wcr-vs-sheptone-vs-zhangbucker/

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56525-throbak-sle-101-plus-limted-pickups/

I'm 62, and I've found that the "Classic '57' & '57+ are (to me) much closer,

to the old PAF sound, than even the Burstbuckers. I think it has to do with

them being even lower output, than the Burstbuckers. I've played with Burst

buckers, the Hot Ceramic's, T-tops, and others, but (again), for me the Classic

'57's really capture that '50's & '60's PAF Humbucker tone! When I changed the

Hot Ceramic's out of my 2000 Classic, it was like "Finally, I recaptured that

wonderful old Les Paul tone!" But, other's will have there own opinions. It

really boils down to, what tone YOU want. Classic '57's do it best, for me.

CB

Thanks for that Charlie Brown. I just purchased a brand new ES-335 Dot Figured & it is loaded with the '57s. It has taken over as #1 in my Gibson arsenal due to it's 'shine', space, air, crystal clean focused output. It does NOT, even remotely, take me back to yester year. My SG Standard with the 490 & 498 combo comes closer to the sounds of back then. Then again, that may be due to the semi-hollow build. I wouldn't trade my new ES-335 tones for nothin'!!! That's where the 57s will be parked forever. The SG Standard is perfect as is the Firebird V with the ceramics. It's the LP Standard which, again, sounds great with the BBPros ... since I won't be buying another LP, I just feel she can do better.

A lot of 'designer' stuff out there and most of it is great but, I'm not interested simply because the original Gibson products have given me, a wife and 4 kids, bread on the table and shoes on the feet. I'll be stickin' with 'em no matter how much they tick me off every now & then msp_laugh.gif

There's been a million comments out there on comparing these pickups however, I really hope to get some answers from the guys who have spent A LOT of time on the road and studio.

TO EXPLAIN:

I'm 59 and am on my first full-time day job which started out of absolute necessity back in 2003. I'd like to hear from you guys who've been out gigging since the late '60s and '70s simply for the reason that we've had similar mileage and performance. It's one of those 'Ya Had to Be There Moments".

No way is this meant to insult or slam any other age group!

I really like the stock Burstbuckers Pros in my 2003 LP Standard... but ... they don't really remind me of anything in the distant past. I was blessed to have had a Black Beauty back in '69 and I really do remember the tones and sonic performance it gave me through my Twin, 100W Plexi and Traynor Bassmaster head(used for guitar). Up until the '80s, I'd had 3 different LPs and they'd all have similar vocal qualities that I don't hear out of today's Gibsons.

The reading I'm getting about the BB1 & BB2 says these are about the most accurate representation of that time period but money is the problem. So, before I blow a couple hundred on a set of BB1 & BB2 to try in my LP Standard, I'm hoping I can get some up front personal reviews on these babies - hopefully by those players amongst us who do not use pedals to overdrive. I'm begging for info of tonal satisfaction coming out of natural paper cone and saturated tube distortion ... like that of a Plexi cranked.

The unpotted thing gets me all horny as I love 'controlled' feedback when soloing. To hear them notes split into octaves .... ooohhh BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

To finalize, think of Mike Bloomfield back at the Fillmore. I believe his weapon of choice was a '59 LP forever. This is where I wanna tonally end up. Thanks for understanding!

Well, if money is an issue, I'd try converting the BB Pros you have, into regular BB, just by changing the magnet from A5 to A2- but, they will be potted of course, but, I don't have any problems 'grabbing' a note and letting it feedback with my potted pickkups, and I don't use a lot of OD.

But, for the cost of around 25 bucks you can change the magnets to A2, and give you an idea if you are going in the right direction.

P.S. I'm 59

LOL...see, this is a perfect example, as to why YOU should check out the various pickups,

for yourself. Our opinions, are just that. Our preferences...and may have nothing

in common, with your's. I've tried a lot of boutique, and after-market pickups, and always

come back to Gibson "Classic '57's!" But, that's just "My" preference! Some folks here

may think I'm "tone deaf"...maybe I am(?)...but, I know what I like, and stick to it! [biggrin]

CB

• 2 years later...

LOL...see, this is a perfect example, as to why YOU should check out the various pickups,

for yourself. Our opinions, are just that. Our preferences...and may have nothing

in common, with your's. I've tried a lot of boutique, and after-market pickups, and always

come back to Gibson "Classic '57's!" But, that's just "My" preference! Some folks here

may think I'm "tone deaf"...maybe I am(?)...but, I know what I like, and stick to it! [biggrin]

CB

I agree. I have a 2013 Les Paul 60's Tribute with Burstbucker 1 and 2. I like it just fine. I also have an Ibanez AS73 that I put 57 Classic and Classic+ into. It absolutely cooks now. I am considering doing the Les Paul the same way. The Ibanez is a "poor man's" ES335 in my book. Oh yeah....I'm 62. LOL

The Gibson '59 pickups are the closest to that vintage sound, IMO. The pickups have uneven winds. I don't think Gibson sell them yet, though. But hopefully we see them soon. You can try them on one of the new 2014 Traditionals.

The Gibson '59 pickups are the closest to that vintage sound, IMO. The pickups have uneven winds. I don't think Gibson sell them yet, though. But hopefully we see them soon. You can try them on one of the new 2014 Traditionals.

+1 on the 59's. I was able to buy a pair on eBay. However, the ones in my 2014 Les Paul have a little lower output and sound a little better to my ear. I did not like the sound of the 57's in my 2013 Les Paul so I put the 59's in. I have one pair that reads 7.5 and the pair that I bought on eBay reads about 7.7. All of the classic 57's seem to read around 7.7 or 7.8. By the way, I'm 61 years old.

• 1 month later...

Ok well I don't fall into the age category here, but I am close enough to comment, as I was born in 74 and I grew up listening to ALOT of music from my parents who were both huge music fanatics. So I grew up listening to Zep, Hendrix, Boston, Steely Dan, ETC....

I have a 90's era Les Paul Standard and I tried alot of different pickups in it before finding what I consider to be the best pick ups for me, and that is a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge and a Burstbucker 1 in the neck. They sound perfect to me. More recently I have been using the Burstbucker 3 in my newer les pauls because I wanted something with a higher output for the harder rocks stuff I am now doing. But my 90's standard will always remain with the BB1&2, they are the 2 conductor models, I actually got them from a friend who owned a little guitar shop, and he was able to get his hands on a few sets prior to them actually being released for sale to the public. They really are fantastic pickups

Everything is different, not just pups. Your ears, guitars, strings, amps, speakers ...

Memories are notoriously inaccurate.

Find something you like now and rock with it. In another 20 you'll have two sets of memories to be nostalgic about :)

For all that age matters, I'm 53 ...

Well boys, I'm 65 and have played since 13yo, mostly Les Pauls and a few 335's. My favorite paf type pickup is the Seymore duncan antiquity. I also have a LP with burstbucker #1 and #2 and it sounds good but not as good as the SD's imo. These days I play mostly blues, and I have not found a better combination than a LP with SD antiquities.

Archived