#3 Guest_hollyNewer98_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

I did not get my first one I am still expecting. [biggrin]

#4 User is offline   Phalaris 

• Group: Members
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Ok, this can be hard to answer. I got my very first, first guitar back when I was 16, and in High School. I think it was a Fender Squire. I tried off and on to learn, but back then, it was learn by books, or instructors. I tried both, and happy with books, and had difficulty finding an instructor that I felt comfortable. I bought a couple of guitars after that, and tried to learn on my own. Bought a Peavey something. I eventually figured the guitar wasn't for me, and gave it up, selling my guitars.

Skipping ahead 22 years. About two months ago, I got the bug again. I went out looking for a guitar. My new first guitar is a B.C. Rich Warlock. I actually enjoy playing now. I bought a stand, and as odd as this sounds, but a stand will help you play. Put your stand and your guitar is a nice place, where you see it everyday. And you will walk past it, and your mind will tell you to pick it up and play it. Now, my Warlock is not high end. But I do have G.A.S. now. When I go to buy strings, or picks, or whatever. If I'm someplace that sells guitars, I'm always looking at different guitars. I spend a lot of time online, looking at websites for guitars, although I tend to gravitate more towards the Gibson site. Yesterday, I found the guitar to replace my Warlock. I put some money down on it, and I'll be making payments until it's ready to come home. It's a genuine Gibson Les Paul Studio. Ebony with Gold Hardware. I absolutely fell in love with this the moment I saw her. She was calling to me. She said, pick me up, take me home and love me forever. She is absolutely beautiful, and sexy. I should have her paid off and ready to come home in 4 weeks.

Phalaris.

#5 User is offline   Lazerface 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

12 it was a bass, i bought my first 6 string when i was 15
One can never have enough Les Pauls.

#6 User is offline   Nightspore68 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

1991. I was 22. First I borrowed an acoustic guitar from my brother then later that year I got an electric, a Harmon Industries GTX33, in purple tiger stripe. I still have it and still play it.

Posted Image

2012 70s Tribute SG Special - 2011 Custom Shop Les Paul Pro Denim Flame - 2011 J-45 Custom - 2011 Charvel Wild Card #6 - 2010 Martin 12-string - 2009 Vox Night Train head & cab - 2008 Gibson Robot V - 2007 Breedlove Atlas D25/SR+ 2001 Ibanez SDGR electric bass - 1999 G&L ST500 - 1994 Ovation Pinnacle - 1991 GTX-33 (strat copy) - Marshall 1959 100W plexi reissue - Orange PPC 4x12 - Reason 3, Garageband, iMac, Apogee ONE

Nightspore68

#7 User is offline   Aalis 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

WHEN??

Not sure if back in '95 or '96. I wonder who owns that one now!

Oh, well that was my first electric one (the first acoustic one must have been around '93)

#8 User is offline   Cú Chulainn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

don't remember the hear, but the guitar was and old
J&D stratcopy :) sold the body but kept the neck for
some reason. Bought together with a small tubecombo
in green tolex :) have to fix it up to a working
condition soon :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

#9 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I got my first bass around the age of 13 - an old Gibson EB-3

#10 User is offline   mikekefr 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHampton roads Va

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I was 16,lowest quality available but a guitar none the less,Tobacco sunburst Les Paul copy.
gear, schecter c-1 classic, schecter diamond series omen 6, bc rich ironbird nj series, guild burnside flyin v, jackson js32t flying v, dean baby v, alvarez tele, fender mexican strat w x2n and paf, epiphone ace frehley model, epiphone lp special 2, dean edge bass, dean exotica grand auditorium bubinga acoustic/ele., dean performer acoustic/ele., fender 12 string acous., alvarez artist acou/ele., boss gt-8 split signaled into marshall MG100 HD4X half stack and a crate gx130c combo on a 4x12 crate half stack.Retired gear digitech gsp 2101studio and a johnson j-station.

#11 User is offline   Jon S. 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

I got my first guitar when I was 10 or 11. It was a Japanese Strat from the 80's with a Floyd Rose and locking nut. It weighed a ton and string changes were a pain for a beginner, but I loved it.

#12 User is offline   PA.AXEMAN 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

1962 I WAS 12 BOUGHT A HAGSTROM F2 SUNBURST STILL HAVE THE OLD SWEDE STILL PLAYS AND LOOKS GREAT MAN ITS 50YRS. OLD

#13 User is offline   jmb5150 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Great thread, brings back many memories. I got my first guitar when I was 14 or 15.....after hearing Eruption I put the drum sticks down and my dad gave me his Alpine white MIJ telecaster. I hated that damn guitar. It would not stay in tune....could have been me though??? Anyway I joined the military and sold it and purchased an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye. I loved that thing but due to money issues I sold it and have been through various guitars since in search of the one for me and the tone that I hear in my head. Fender, Alverez, and Schecter all fell victim of my buy it now and sell it later because I was not happy syndrome. This year after all of my finances have been taken care of I was able to put some cash aside and conduct some serious research. I finally have found my mistress in the Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst with Chrome hardware) Unbelievable guitar and have the tone that I had in my head come through my fingers!

#14 User is offline   mbaker 

• LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I got my first guitar when I was 10; it was a cheap thing my Dad picked up at Sears, I think, and I don't count it as a real guitar - but it did get me started. I got my first real guitar when I was a teenager in the early 70s - it was a Yamaha FG-160, and I really loved that guitar. Nevertheless, like an idiot I sold it when I joined the Navy a couple of years later and didn't pick up a guitar again until three years ago. I can afford better instruments now - I have a 2010 ES-335 in addition to a 2009 Strat, a 2010 Carvin SH550, and Martin, Guild, and Taylor acoustics - but I really regret selling that Yamaha back in 1975.

Mark

#15 User is offline   matonanjin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Santa brought me mine for Christmas. First 6 string anyway. I played bass in a band in high school in the 60's. But that was just to drink beer and meet girls.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster American Standard
Yamaha Pacifica
Fender Blues Junior

#16 User is offline   brad4d8 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

14th birthday, 1962. My mother used Top Value Yellow trading stamps to get me a Kay, absolute bottom of the line Kay that I had until I got my F-212 in 1965. My mother bought me that pretty much as a reward for actually sticking with it and learning to play, and she had no idea how difficult it was with that old Kay. [biggrin]
Brad
2001 Gibson Chet Atkins CE
2005 Epi Masterbilt AJ 500RC
1995 Epi Howard Roberts Custom
1975 Guild Artist Award
1977 Guild F-50
Bunch of other non-Gibson-non-Epi guitars

#17 User is offline   RaysEpiphone 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Early 1980's, my 16th birthday gift from dad. [thumbup]
Lots of video's with me playing music as well as some of my favorite song's here at Youtube
https://www.youtube....iew=1&flow=grid

#18 User is offline   Steve Krenz 

• Skills House Instructor
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Got my first guitar when I was six from Sears.

- Steve

#19 User is offline   Texasbluezman 

• Trad Pro 50's Fanatic
  • LocationBaytown, Tx

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

1986. A Memphis strat w/1 humbucker and some ugly 2 point trem that wouldn't stay in tune to save my life, but I still couldn't quit messing with it! [lol]

2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 50's
2000 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom L.E. Silverburst

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Version 1 Silver box
Dunlop Crybaby JH-1B (Jimi Hendrix)
Boss TR-2, NS-2, PH-2
Korg Pitchblack
Diamond Cornerstone

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue w/NOS tubes in V1(12AY7),a ECC803S in V2,stock in V3 & stock power tubes for now!

Stock Peavey Ultra 60 4X10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory!

Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!

#20 User is offline   gibder 

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

In "63" on my 14th birthday. A single pick-up Tiesco Del Rey with Kent amp, cardboard case, strap, cord, book and pick for $65.00 at Safferstone,s Pawn Shop on Beale St. Memphis, Tn. With lighter gauge strings and a bridge adjustment it played remarkably well.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users