Gibson Brands Forums

Probucker vs alnico

sm.kralik

Jan 19, I placed my order for an epiphone Les paul custom silverburst, after the back order has been pushed back further and further now we're at Late april for this to even ship out. Now I see that these new customs are out with Probuckers, are there any huge differences between the alnicos and the probuckers? I'm wondering if I should get one guitar over the other. I've tried the regular custom out and I love it, but no guitar places around me have the Custom with the probuckers on it for me to try out. If anyone had any experience with the pros and could share some knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Jan 19, I placed my order for an epiphone Les paul custom silverburst, after the back order has been pushed back further and further now we're at Late april for this to even ship out. Now I see that these new customs are out with Probuckers, are there any huge differences between the alnicos and the probuckers? I'm wondering if I should get one guitar over the other. I've tried the regular custom out and I love it, but no guitar places around me have the Custom with the probuckers on it for me to try out. If anyone had any experience with the pros and could share some knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

G'day Steve, welcome to the forums, great bunch around here, I hope you like the place.

Everybody who has tried and reported on them has said that the ProBuckers are a vast improvement over the old Alnicos.

I just finished a couple hour jam session with a Probucker equipped guit and I can tell you they are pretty great. The push/pull coil splitters allow these guitars to have so much more versatility than a standard LP. I'm not sure I'd ever buy another guitar without them or their equivalents. They also take to pedals really well.

I just bought an older silverburst with the alnico's. I'm digging the sound for now, but haven't really had the chance to crank it up at a jam yet. As you can tell by the time of my post, I'm working nights, and all I wanna do when I get home is sleep!

Is the Probucker Epi's version of the Burstbucker? I am planning on putting a set of Burstbuckers in my silverburst, sometime in the future.

Based on his handle, I'm guessing he's not from Whakapapa.

I don't know Brian, I know a lot of Aussies that are into Texas Blues, it's a musical genre based on a location, but followers of it don't necessarily have to come from that location.

I don't know Brian, I know a lot of Aussies that are into Texas Blues, it's a musical genre based on a location, but followers of it don't necessarily have to come from that location.

I thought Whakapapa was in NZ? Not that Oz doesn't have some bizzare place names (Mount Buggery, Wonglepong).

• 2 months later...

Thanks,

Steve

How I know if a Epi Les Paul custom... includes a Probucker Pickup?

Everybody who has tried and reported on them has said that the ProBuckers are a vast improvement over the old Alnicos.

+1. Probuckers are popular here; the other Epi HB's ('Alnico', Classic '57', etc) leave a lot to be desired.

I'm going to disagree about the comparison, based on my experience of 57 CH and HOT CH pickups used in Korean Epis. The Probuckers in my Ultra 339 are not a noticeable improvement in tone. Having said that, I think they are both good but not great pickups.

Last night I put a Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup in the 339, and switched the Probucker bridge p/u to the neck position to match the 16k the SD gives me. The Probuckers were 2-conductor, red sheathing on neck and black on bridge. Also, a real bonus to me, when I removed the covers both are zebras. Pics to follow.

I'm going to disagree about the comparison, based on my experience of 57 CH and HOT CH pickups used in Korean Epis. The Probuckers in my Ultra 339 are not a noticeable improvement in tone. Having said that, I think they are both good but not great pickups.

Last night I put a Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup in the 339, and switched the Probucker bridge p/u to the neck position to match the 16k the SD gives me. The Probuckers were 2-conductor, red sheathing on neck and black on bridge. Also, a real bonus to me, when I removed the covers both are zebras. Pics to follow.

I thought the Pro's were 4 conductor for splitting?

Nothing like keeping us all in suspense![scared]

Pics...first the neck p/up before I snipped the wire...and yes folks, on the Ultras (non-coil split) it's a 2 conductor (insulated "live" and braided earth):

DSCN0242.jpg

Sorry these came out more blurred than I thought:

DSCN0240.jpg

Bridge p/up. It has the tuner assembly stuck to the bottom with foam double-sided adhesive. Hard to prise off without damaging it, but it can be re-attached to the bottom of a replacement p/up:

DSCN0244.jpg

New p/ups in place and working, note the Probucker is a zebra. The SD JB is actually white with silver lettering. I've fitted a white chicken head knob to the volume for the acoustic p/up.

DSCN0246.jpg

"Finished"; (no guitar of mine is ever really finished...). I put a cheap plastic cover over the neck p/up, sprayed with the closest match auto paint I had lying around. I was going to do the same to the bridge p/up but the SD bobbins are actually larger, so it doesn't fit. Also switched to a silver chicken head:

DSCN0250.jpg

Archived