Gibson Brands Forums

Varitone switch for Cosmetic use

Kylef

I have a Gibson ES-355 Custom RI that I love, probably my number 1. However, I have always liked the look of the varitone switch, rather than its uses. I have had a 355 in the past with a varitone, I didnt mind it, but never really used it.

Would it be wise to strip a varitone switch, not wire it in, but just have it sitting there? I have always preferred the look of 355's and 345's with a varitone switch....the more gold on a Gibson Semi the better for me!

Here she is:

2e5b2248.jpg

Am I wasting my time for something used as cometic use only?

I've had two 355's over the years- a '65 and a '61. They both had vartitones, which I never liked (neither the function nor the appearance). I used to dream about getting a mono model (a vintage one, long before they were reissued), which were hard to find and cooler looking (imo).

I wouldn't do it. If you're really disappointed every time you take the guitar out that it doesn't have a varitone, maybe you should consider trading for (or selling yours and buying) a model with a varitone.

Probably not practical, but I also wonder if there's any way to attach just a ring and the knob without drilling a hole. A facade, as it were. If there was some way to do that which wouldn't mar the finish underneath (allowing it to be removed and leave no blemish), maybe that would be a solution...?

I'd wire it in. It's not difficult to do, and even if you only use it once in a while, it will give you something other than looks.

I put a Varitone on my Faux-LP with P90s and used it on a few songs. It didn't work for everything, but what it worked for it worked well.

But then, I'm certainly not against bling for bling's sake. Why not?

Would it be wise to strip a varitone switch, not wire it in, but just have it sitting there? I have always preferred the look of 355's and 345's with a varitone switch....the more gold on a Gibson Semi the better for me!

Am I wasting my time for something used as cometic use only?

[-(I'm gonna say this once, and only once... NO !!! for chrissakes! [Now go to your room and learn to play that thang!] #-o

J/W

](*,)

Devaluing an instrument is in the eyes of the owner.

I've never worried about it myself. I use my instruments, and play them until they are worn. I have only one collectible, and it got that way by lasting a long time without wearing out.

In the saxophone world, there is a thing about original lacquer (the lacquer doesn't affect the sound enough to hear). I've always relacquered my horns when they got grungy looking. I could care less. By the time I trade them in they are pretty worn out anyway.

On the other hand, if I were to buy an instrument for an investment, instead of to perform with, I'd probably keep it in a case in a humidity controlled room and try to keep it in pristine condition. But IMHO that would be as big of a sin as turning a saxophone into a lamp. Musical instruments are made to make music.

But that's just me, YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 345 since i bought in new in '62, I use the varitone, but I play through two amps, so I am a supporter of the varitone, but, I would advise againt adding one for cosmetic purposes, if you aren't going to wire it up, forget about it you will add more wt to the top, not improve your tone, probably lessen the top vibration etc, i think it is a bad idea.

Well, I'm one of those folks, that likes the Varitone! So, IF I were in that situation,

I'd just add a functioning Varitone, and USE it! Otherwise, why bother??? [confused]

CB

Yep, varitone is great and if you have one it should work.

• 4 weeks later...

The guitar is my pride and joy, I am actually thinking of going down the route of putting one in AND wiring it up. I just cant find somewhere that will, or even sell me one. Found a varitone switch, but cant get the gold ring.

Anyone?

Archived