Gibson Brands Forums

Nickel versus Chrome

Rock and Reel

I just bought an ES-175. The quality, craftsmanship and playability are excellent as I expect from Gibson but I have a question. When (and why) did Gibson change from nickel plated hardware to chrome? The yellowish cast of the nickel is much more attractive than the white cast of chrome. In my opinion, the chrome looks cheap and this is anything but a cheap instrument. Does this bother anyone else?

Gibson started changing from nickel (really nickel silver) to chrome in the mid 60s in response to complaints from customers about how easily the finish got tarnished. The transition was gradual over a period of a few years. You will see guitars starting about 1965 that have a combination of nickel and chrome hardware as stocks for various parts were replenished. Some guitars had one nickel covered pickup and one chrome covered pickup and some of the late 60s ES335s have chrome trapezes and other have nickel.

Prior to the 60s having nickel hardware wasn't an issue. Following the British Invasion in the early 60s, guitar sales really took off for all US Manufacturers and with all the new younger customers, preference for bright and shiny chrome out weighed the standard appeal of nickel.

Nickel has a "vintage=Warmer" look, when new/clean, but Chrome is so much easier

to take care of, and looks great, for decades. Nickel is still used on the "Historic,"

and/or "Reissue" series, for authenticity. Chrome hardware is certainly not a deal

breaker, at all, for me. But, I like Nickel, too. It's just a "pain" to keep clean! [tongue][unsure]

CB

Guest EastEnder

Chrome looks great on my Vance and Hines pipes, but makes my new Les Paul DC look like an Asian import (note to self: replace hardware before it develops an Epiphone headstock).

I see that chrome is cropping up on the SG 61 Reissue now, which makes one wonder how it can be legitimately be called a reissue. Glad I got mine when I did.

Next, baked maple — or laminated North American Rosewood.

In any event, sneaking chrome onto a new 175 is wrong. It needs nickel to look right.

Again, just my tuppence.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an ES-175. The quality, craftsmanship and playability are excellent as I expect from Gibson but I have a question. When (and why) did Gibson change from nickel plated hardware to chrome? The yellowish cast of the nickel is much more attractive than the white cast of chrome. In my opinion, the chrome looks cheap and this is anything but a cheap instrument. Does this bother anyone else?

Hi,

Yes, exactly! I just got a LP Special that I loved 'cept for the cheesey chrome, so I ordered up a new bridge and stop bar in nickel, looks much betta. Yeah, the chrome takes away from the groovy vintage vibe.

Hi,

Yes, exactly! I just got a LP Special that I loved 'cept for the cheesey chrome, so I ordered up a new bridge and stop bar in nickel, looks much betta. Yeah, the chrome takes away from the groovy vintage vibe.

For the look, I think it depends on the finish. A yellower, browner look takes nickel better, a bluer/greener finish lends itself better to chrome. I'd choose chrome with black. IMHO, I like that chrome doesn't dull up when exposed to sweat and squalene.

• 2 years later...

For the look, I think it depends on the finish. A yellower, browner look takes nickel better, a bluer/greener finish lends itself better to chrome. I'd choose chrome with black. IMHO, I like that chrome doesn't dull up when exposed to sweat and squalene.

I couldn't agree more - my '06 335 Diamond Dot in Pelham Blue looks fantastic with chrome parts - they blend perfectly with that colour.

Archived