Gibson Brands Forums

What is binding made of?

RudyH

What is the binding on Gibson guitars made of? Is it more than just cosmetic? Is there a fair amount of hand work required to apply it? I'm just curious about this stuff.

Check this out. Click the "highlight" link at the top of the page, then click on the dot by the body binding on the LP. http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/supreme/

Plastic and it's not just to be cheaper than wood or other material plastic binding does a great job in taking the hits a guitar edge will always get without chipping or splitting I have some other custom guitars that have maple binding and even Koa binding but the standard is good old plastic. It's still a pain in the rear to put in and get taped and glued down straight.

edit, at least with plastic you can bend it into place with wood binding you have to steam and bend it into the shape you need or it breaks.

What is the binding on Gibson guitars made of? Is it more than just cosmetic? Is there a fair amount of hand work required to apply it? I'm just curious about this stuff.

They used to use wild or free range bindings until the Greens and got them on the in dangered species list ... Now they are using synthetic bindings made from plastic.

Plastic and it's not just to be cheaper than wood or other material plastic binding does a great job in taking the hits a guitar edge will always get without chipping or splitting I have some other custom guitars that have maple binding and even Koa binding but the standard is good old plastic. It's still a pain in the rear to put in and get taped and glued down straight.

edit' date=' at least with plastic you can bend it into place with wood binding you have to steam and bend it into the shape you need or it breaks.

[/quote']

Or you can use broken pieces of paua and mop in between the layers of plastic. Can't steam it or bend it but with enough patience it comes out kinda nice.

Purfling01.jpg

Specially grown BindWeed wood from the coast of Madagascar, seasoned for a hundred years in Kuala Lumpur and shipped over by sail (never steam or diesel) to avoid contamination. Applied by dwarf binding-meisters fed on a diet of milk and honey and recruited form the Peruvian almond-mines. The glue is part magic, part elf-spit.

Now I have to go and help Santa Claus get ready.....

Well.....

I'll ask the big guy, but he has this book, you know.

If you've been naughty - you're in there. And every naughty is another thing off your list, so currently you probably owe him a few things, so when he comes by, you may find you're an LP short or whatever when he's finished. And he'll eat the cookies too. He never takes any helpers with him, doesn't even feed crumbs to the reindeer.....

Why do you think I'm there - paying off the naughty-debt heh heh heh.....

Jack Daniels or Vintage Port with the cookies, maybe a stogie or two.....

I know a Cuban rolled on the thigh of a naked cuban teenage virgin gets him going.

But really - he is above all that bribery 5hit - he's into hedge funds and derivatives these days.....

.....massive bonuses paid out of tax-payer's money are where he is at now. Vacuums, but there yah go.

Archived