Gibson Brands Forums

Ever heard of a Hummingbird 'Authentic ' ?

EuroAussie

Those were nice -- they came with the extra thick pickguard made using the moulds that Ren apparently found during a search of "old stuff we have left over from Kalamazoo". So the 'guards were thicker material than those offered on the standard Hummingbird of the time.

They came with the (ultra heavy) yellow-lined cases. And an extra dab of honey-glazed tone.

Fred

Interesting topic. Don't know anything about my Hummingbird having "authentic" attached to the name (I suspect it is simply a regular old Hummingbird. Nothing fancy about it. Not a vintage, etc.), but I was told by an experienced luthier that the pickguard is thicker than most Hummingbirds he's seen.......And I have to be honest, all these names that Gibson puts on its guitars gets pretty damn confusing. Vintage, authentic, historic, and whatever else is out there means very little if anything to me. If you have a good Gibson, enjoy it. ....Then again, if it doesn 't say "authentic" on it, maybe it's not really a Gibson.

Interesting topic. Don't know anything about my Hummingbird having "authentic" attached to the name (I suspect it is simply a regular old Hummingbird. Nothing fancy about it. Not a vintage, etc.), but I was told by an experienced luthier that the pickguard is thicker than most Hummingbirds he's seen.......

The pickguard on a 1967 HB I was looking at was about as thick as they come. If I recall it was even screwed down. That sucker was so thick it would have put any scratchplate Harmony slapped on a guitar to shame.

It's been there for a while and I've seen it as a precursor to the 167 TV line. Or TV's in general. Apart from the minor second logo behind the headstock, it looks completely like a True Vintage.

Thinking interior, nor the Bay ad or the PDF talks about the bracing. I would start a dialogue with the seller and hear what he knows. Even ask him to do the mirror-trick.

Only skepticism I could come up with is that if Ferguson and the team were making their path into True Vintage territory at the time, the first steps might not be as experienced as the later.

There might have been an upwards-curve before reaching the level. At the other hand they may have been extraordinary inspired.

Ouuh and the case is black/burgundy -

• 5 years later...

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread because I've never seen any documentation on my guitar. Mine is not one of the pilot run 60's Authentics but one that came after. It's an 05 and has the Custom Shop label on the back. I've had it about three years and will never sell it. It's an incredible guitar!

post-69137-070895500 1515107798_thumb.jpg

Archived